Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

New bike questions

Okay guys, i've been beating the hell out of my two new ss rides and love them. I've noticed that my converted rincon is a bit too large for me so i'm going to purchase a nashbar frame and swap most of the parts over to it.
    I'd like to know what forks, headsets, and cranksets ya'll would suggest for a low budget build. I'm not too worried about weight since swapping the frame and going rigid will drop some already. Also what chain tensioners do you suggest? Push up, pull down, chainstay mounted, or should i look into seeing if a EBB will fit the frame?

The giant has a 100mm squish on the front and i'm trying to keep the total under $500 for the parts i mentioned
    Last edited by ChaosCelt; 04-02-2013 at 12:45 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaosCelt View Post
    Okay guys, i've been beating the hell out of my two new ss rides and love them. I've noticed that my converted rincon is a bit too large for me so i'm going to purchase a nashbar frame and swap most of the parts over to it.
    I'd like to know what forks, headsets, and cranksets ya'll would suggest for a low budget build. I'm not too worried about weight since swapping the frame and going rigid will drop some already. Also what chain tensioners do you suggest? Push up, pull down, chainstay mounted, or should i look into seeing if a EBB will fit the frame?

The giant has a 100mm squish on the front and i'm trying to keep the total under $500 for the parts i mentioned
    If I were you, I would just get a dedicated SS frame. Tensioners all have their quirks and can cause more headaches than not. SS is about simplicity, so I would try to remove as much moving parts as possible.

Just a suggestion - For $500, why not go with a complete build? Redline Monocog (26 or 29) can be had for that, brand new. Or there are many SS completes available on here, CL, ebay, etc.

If you want to build (which is fun, but more costly up front), get something like an On One frame (On One Inbred 26er Single Speed Ltd Edition) and go from there. If you keep an eye on the classifieds here and on your local CL, you can build the rest for $250 with the parts you've already got.

mtbr member
    The reason i'm not buying a ss specific frame is cost, for the price and reviews i've found nothing compares to the nashbar (for the price). My Giant is a magic gear that i added a no name tensioner to with no problems and i have an 04 monocog. The reason i'm asking these questions is I want to do it myself and i will be swapping most all of the parts from the giant to the new frame. If i was going to buy a new ss frame i'd just save and buy a carve sl and go from there.

mtbr member
    Okay, I went to the link for the Inbred that Psycle posted (thanks for the link) and the only problem i saw was that they specifically say "may not work with some mechanical brakes". That was one of the parts i was swapping from the Giant to the new bike. I've got a set of Tektro HO's on the bike and was curious if anyone knows if those are included in that disclaimer or if i'm just going to have to hope and pray they fit if i go with that frame.

That aside i think i may have persuaded to change frames it's only $150 more and about 1.5lbs heavier.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Okay, I went to the link for the Inbred that Psycle posted (thanks for the link) and the only problem i saw was that they specifically say "may not work with some mechanical brakes". That was one of the parts i was swapping from the Giant to the new bike. I've got a set of Tektro HO's on the bike and was curious if anyone knows if those are included in that disclaimer or if i'm just going to have to hope and pray they fit if i go with that frame.
    On One Inbred frames have the rear brake mounts between the CS (chainstay) and SS (seat stay), which makes it difficult to fit mechanical disc calipers on there, as the top bolt usually won't clear the SS. Hydro's are preferred, but I have seen people make BB7's work. Don't know about Tektro HO's.

mtbr member
    If i don't destroy my budget with the more expensive frame what would be a good hydro disc set for fairly cheap? I know i've seen some for a few hundred each and i don't have that much

mtbr member
    I found a set of shimano on amazon for fairly cheap Amazon.com: Shimano 2012 BR-M445 Hydraulic Disc Brake, No Rotor - Front, White: Sports & Outdoors would that be a viable choice I also found a set of tektro dracos which didn't seem to be too bad.

mtbr member
    Okay so if the brakes don't work i'll address that when i get the frame in. So now i go back to the original questions. Fork, crankset, and headset. I said screw it i will sleep in the doghouse for a bit i'm not counting the frame in my $500 budget.

The axle to crown length on my bike is roughly 490mm with a 100mm shock what length should the rigid fork be for the inbred since it's rated for a 120mm fork? Something tells me it isn't as easy as just adding 20mm.
    Last edited by ChaosCelt; 04-02-2013 at 04:18 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Not to complicate your situation, but if I were you, rather than the On One frame, I'd get a Surly 1x1 frameset. Bicycleoutfittersindy usually has 20% off coupons floating around. If so, that would be about $380 for the frame and fork (so a bit more expensive than $250 on one frame plus $80 fork). With this set up, you CAN use the Tektro brakes for sure, so that saves some cash. You can even go rim brakes, if you want. The frame is more versatile, as you can also go 650b if you wish. Some have even fit 29er wheels in there.

If you can't find the 20% off coupon, you can at least use 15% coupon listed right on the site.

As far as headset, get a Cane Creek S3 on ebay for ~$30 and for cranks, you can just use the same one on from your old bike. If you want a new set, it depends on what you want--square taper, ext BB, etc. I personally use Shimano HTII (ext bearing) which can be had for pretty cheap (less than $100).

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Ah, can't edit for some reason. Here is the link:

Surly 1x1 Frameset 18" Cash Black

mtbr member
    Phsycle, you have been an amazing help. I like the 1x1 but that really puts me out of what i can fudge with on the frame, when i went to the site they only had a 15% and it isn't valid on frames. I'm looking at a external bearing splined bb, it's a howitzer that comes with a truativ dh ss crankset on ebay for <$70 just trying to do some digging on it. The ones on the giant don't like a 250lbs exweightlifter mashing them. i've already twisted one crank arm in the time i've had the bike.

mtbr member
    Is that right? 1060g for a cromo frame? If that's right i may be single very shortly.

Also while you have been a huge help i currently hate you. I was perfectly content with my original frame then you had to come at me with logic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Most cromo frames are 4-5+ lbs. What you're looking at may be for the fork only.

I guess BOI stopped including frames on the discount. Fortunately, Universal Cycles has a 15% off coupon (springride15), which brings the frameset cost to $400. Again, little more than On One, but not by much. Especially if that means not having to fork out $100 for brakes.

Cranks - You don't need DH cranks. You don't even need SS-specific cranks. Most cranks should work. I'm sure you can find a good deal in the classifieds or the "Swap" thread here. You will need a SS chainring, though, which are $20-30.

Regarding blowing your budget--welcome to the club. I started with a $175 SS years and years ago, and now I'm up to 5 SS's and about $5k.

EDIT: What size are you? There is a GT Peace complete in the classifieds for $300. Strip it down, sell off what you don't need, then you've got a nice SS and way ahead in budget. And yes, it's a slow day at work today...

gt peace singlespeed medium size - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories

mtbr member
    I'm 5'10'' with a 6'2'' reach and 250lbs. I was looking at that crankset simply for the fact it's sub $70. I was reading on the inbred and it says they redid the frame so it now fits more of the mechanical discs. I really like that crankset and the inbred frame. If i have to buy hydros i'm okay with that i'll just wait to finish it. I'm thinking i'm fairly set on that. What carbon fork would you suggest for that frame? I was thinking a White Bros.

mtbr member
    This is the link to the crankset and it comes with the howitzer bb. Truvativ Hussefelt DH 170mm Crankset 38t w Howitzer DH 83mm BB OE Packaging | eBay

mtbr member
    Truativ Husselfelt with howitzer bb $64
    Cane Creek 40 Series headset $45
    White Brothers Rock Solid 490mm $282
    Shimano BR-M445 Hydraulic Disc Brake Pair set $ 100

All said and done i'm at $491 without the knick knacks. Does that sound like a decent build for the inbred frame?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I got an e-mail today from Cambria Bike Outfitters with frames up to 83% off.

They had Stout SE singlespeed 29" frames, alum. or cro mo for 150.00 bucks.

mtbr member
    Glynn thanks for the heads up i will have to try that site again as my computer apparently is biased against it.

mtbr member
    This is the link to the crankset and it comes with the howitzer bb. Truvativ Hussefelt DH 170mm Crankset 38t w Howitzer DH 83mm BB OE Packaging | eBay
    That BB is 83mm for DH bikes with 150mm rear axles, you'd still need to get a 68/73mm BB for a normal frame with a 135mm rear axle, otherwise the chainline will be whacked.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Glynn Sluder View Post
    I got an e-mail today from Cambria Bike Outfitters with frames up to 83% off.

They had Stout SE singlespeed 29" frames, alum. or cro mo for 150.00 bucks.
    I believe he has a 26" frame currently. This would mean getting a new wheelset as well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Truativ Husselfelt with howitzer bb $64
    Cane Creek 40 Series headset $45
    White Brothers Rock Solid 490mm $282
    Shimano BR-M445 Hydraulic Disc Brake Pair set $ 100

All said and done i'm at $491 without the knick knacks. Does that sound like a decent build for the inbred frame?
    As said above, DH cranks won't work. Plenty of Shimano or Truvativ cranks for cheap that will, though.

Not sure why you want to spend more money than necessary on a headset, but sure, get the 40. S3 will work just as well.

490mm fork is waaaaaaay too long for a 26" frame. Again, I'm confused why you're willing to spend almost $300 for a fork alone when you can get a good frameset for $400 or less.

mtbr member
    I was considering using the 40 series because i've seen it perform and it's taken beating after beating and never let him down and that's about half what my friend paid for it. I'll find a different set of cranks (after digging i found a set of Deora hollowtechs in my box).
    I'm "willing" to spend that much on the fork because i'd like to have a carbon fork. I know i can get a Cromo fork for less than $100 but if someone can give me a good reason to ditch the carbon besides the price i'd be interested to hear it. Also there's a very good chance i can get a carbon fork for free if things play out right.
    I'm going to go with the inbred i just posted alist of parts i found quickly as a starting point. The fork was picked in that length because it's 1mm longer than what's on the bike now when locked out. So if someone can show me a cheaper list without compromising strength and quality please do. Again i'd like to use a carbon fork but i'm not against steel three of the bikes in my house have them.
    And the Cane Creek S3 is only $10 cheaper and i found better reviews on the 40 series.

mtbr member
    After looking at the budget, previous posts, and considering what has been said I think i have a basic starting point.

On-one Inbred frame
    On-one Cro-mo MTB fork
    Race face SS ring and Blackspire bashguard for my deora cranks
    Cane creek 40 series headset
    Sinz SS cogset
    Truativ T20 riser bars
    Truativ 0 degree Husselfelt stem
    Aluminum stem spacers
    Niner wisecracker spacer ring (just because)

I appreciate the help. Phsycle if at any point you felt i was being a ****** i apologize and i am very thankful for your insight. And an FYI all those parts shipped to my door came in at a grand total of $580. As soon as my taxes come in i will be ordering all the parts...unless someone convinces me to spend more money, and putting the bike together.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    After looking at the budget, previous posts, and considering what has been said I think i have a basic starting point.

On-one Inbred frame
    On-one Cro-mo MTB fork
    Race face SS ring and Blackspire bashguard for my deora cranks
    Cane creek 40 series headset
    Sinz SS cogset
    Truativ T20 riser bars
    Truativ 0 degree Husselfelt stem
    Aluminum stem spacers
    Niner wisecracker spacer ring (just because)

I appreciate the help. Phsycle if at any point you felt i was being a ****** i apologize and i am very thankful for your insight. And an FYI all those parts shipped to my door came in at a grand total of $580. As soon as my taxes come in i will be ordering all the parts...unless someone convinces me to spend more money, and putting the bike together.
    List looks better. Again, I don't think a carbon fork would benefit much. Some forks are pretty flexy, which is a good or bad thing.

The only item I wouldn't get is the Sinz SS cogset. If these are what you're looking at:

Universal Cycles -- Sinz Cog Set

they are stamped cogs. Which means: 1) they will tear up your freehub body. Cogs like Surly have a wide base, which helps keeping this to a minimum. 2) might as well just tear up an old cassette and use those cogs instead. Free and does the same thing. Just make sure your chainline is good (see sticky in this forum).

Few months ago, I bought some Groove Armada Cogs for $10 each at On One. They seem to be of good quality, although I have not had much time on them.

One other thing--my wife has an Inbred. Make sure you check the TT length. They run long compared to the seat tube.

mtbr member
    Was actually counting on the longer tt length. I am gettin an 18" but with my monkey arms the longer tt and short stem "should" be perfect.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast