Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Stock, but with upgrades.

New Bike Help Unit 29er vs Monocog 26"

I'm having a dilema. Here is some history.

I had a Trek 4500 that I picked up for $75 and my buddy set me up nice with brakes, tires, saddle and a couple extras. I ended up selling it for $250 after all was said and done.

Then I built a Kona Kikapu Deluxe with a lot of decent components and rode that for awhile. Had to rebuild the frame, and I got sick of all the maintence on a full suspension bike and sold it (fork and frame.) But I have some Mavic UST wheels left over that I love and have made me a faster ride.

I bought a 29er too. Now I'm on a second one, Cannondale F29 Caffiene, and I have dropped 50 lbs eating right.

Now you know the history, back to my dilema. Lurking on the SS forum for so long I feel like I would like to go SS, but I'm on a budget. I'm selling the Cannondale, which someone is putting done a deposit on today, and I am looking at a 2010 Kona Unit 29er all Stock and a 2011 Redline Monocog 26". The Mono can be stock or several different ways.

I enjoy 29ers and 26ers both, and I like the idea of steel on a rigid ss. If you were in my shoes, which way would you go? What would be your first upgrade (Christmas is coming!)

mtbr member
    I have 2010 Unit. I don't know what you weigh and how you ride, but I weigh 220lb and I do a lot of stuff you see on Jackass.

The only thing I replaced right away were grips and pedals (just because I had them in my parts bin). Then I replaced the stem to a shorter one (from 100mm to 60mm) to make it a better fit. I didn't upgrade the wheels till this past summer, and the stock wheels held up surprisingly well.

I haven't broken anything, but I'm gonna replace the crankset/bb before next summer. I would imagine anything with bearings would be the first to go on a sub $1k bike, and I just don't like the look of the FSA crankset that came with it.
    Ghisallo Wheels

I'm really good looking.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    29", no doubt. The 29er wheels make a ton of difference in taking the edge off of rigid.

mtbr member
    the unit is a way better bike. The monocog frame weighs like 9 lbs or something.

SS in CO
    another bid for the Unit.

J.
    are you a bike shop owner? or a custom builder? I want to talk to you about your website

mtbr member
    Why not throw an ebb on the f29?
    Ride Bikes
    Drink Beer

Ovaries on the Outside
    So yeah, the MC frame is not 9 lbs. I imagine it will be somewhere in the 5-7lbs range. It would probably get my vote, as I generally prefer 26" wheels.

mtbr member
    Ok, fine its not 9 lbs. I also ride 26" wheels, so to the OP:

Which way would I go: I would get the monocog

What would be my first upgrade: the frame.

That bike was about $600 new just keep in mind, so I wouldn't spend to much on a used one.

Now, a monocog flite, that is a different story...

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Monocog frames are 6.13lbs

REDLINE BICYCLES 2010 ARCHIVES 2010 MONOCOG 26

But who cares about the weight, when you've got a 30lb bike? Buy the cheaper bike and upgrade the wheels, where the weight actually matters. The frame is just fine.

mtbr member
    This is retarded. The frame and fork on the Kona are way nicer than the monocog. The monocog is nice for a beater cheap play bike, but it looks like this is going to be this guys only mtb. Between these two frames, it isn't even really a choice...

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Define "nicer". To me, they're both bottom of the barrel 4130 cromo frames--nothing special. Yes, the Kona is butted, but if you're going to sit there and tell me it rides much nicer than the Monocog, I'll will e-drop kick you in the teeth, because that's simply not true. I've ridden the Kona, MC, MCF, El Mariachi, N9, etc. and guess what they ride like? STEEL HARDTAILS!
    Last edited by phsycle; 11-14-2012 at 02:07 PM.

mtbr member
    the kona rides much nicer than the monocog.

If you can't tell the difference between all of those bikes you listed...you should kick yourself in the teeth.

Just sayin...

thanks guys

I checked out the unit today. It was in decent shape but it did have bb5s.
    I liked the f29 a lot however I'm really looking towards steel frames and I didn't want to put more money into the c'dale.

Maybe a dumb question but would I better off with a nashbar ss at the $450-500 price point?

mtbr member
    I'm not really sure what kind of information you are looking for here.

You should know that cheap heavy steel frames are cheap and heavy. If you don't really care, just get the cheapest bike that is the funnest when you are riding it.

Any bike at any price point can be fun. You need to decide what "better off" means.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    First, I would definitely recommend going 29er unless you have some affinity to the 26" wheel. (which is fine if you do)

Second, don't forget to look for closeout deals. I picked up my Monocog Flight 29er for $550 on closeout. That is a serious amount of bike for the price IMO. Since then, I've upgraded to BB7's (not necessary, the BB5's are just fine!), went to a Thomson stem and RaceFace carbon bar, a Niner fork, and some weight weenie wheels. It currently tips the scales right around 22lbs, and is a blast to ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    A rigid 29er has a much nicer ride than a rigid 26er. I'd go with the Unit.
    If the BB5's worry you, you can do BB7's for less than a $100.
    Not sure about the Monocog but a Unit can be converted to geared for some future variety.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by fotu View Post

If you can't tell the difference between all of those bikes you listed...you should kick yourself in the teeth.

Just sayin...
    Just out of curiosity, what would you say is the biggest difference in the ride quality? I'm assuming you've ridden both?
    Last edited by phsycle; 11-15-2012 at 02:35 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phsycle View Post
    Just out of curiosity, what would you say is the biggest difference in the ride quality? I'm assuming you've ridden both?
    The biggest difference is the fork. The fork on the monocog is about as compliant as a crowbar. I would totally ride a monocog as a play bike, and set one up as a mild dirt jump, beater, cruiser, mud, drop off the roof bike. But I would take the kona over the monocog, if I had a choice between them bb5s and all.

This is, of course, aside from the differences in wheel sizes.
    Last edited by fotu; 11-15-2012 at 04:41 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash5 View Post
    A rigid 29er has a much nicer ride than a rigid 26er. I'd go with the Unit.
    If the BB5's worry you, you can do BB7's for less than a $100.
    Not sure about the Monocog but a Unit can be converted to geared for some future variety.
    I dunno. I ride both a 29 MC and a Surly 1x1 and I prefer the general ride quality of my 1x1, though I prefer the MC for hilly terrain and technical XC. I would suggest to the OP to consider the main use of the bike and choose accordingly - I'd go with the MC if you're doing primarily urban riding with occasional forays onto non-technical single track, and with the 29er if you do most of your riding on the trail, especially if they're more technical. My 2 Cents.

Thanks for all the great answers. I do ride some fairly technical single track and I have an old steel frame road bike (80's Panasonic) for the on-road experience.

I will post up a pic of the one that I get!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    The biggest difference is the fork. The fork on the monocog is about as compliant as a crowbar. I would totally ride a monocog as a play bike, and set one up as a mild dirt jump, beater, cruiser, mud, drop off the roof bike. But I would take the kona over the monocog, if I had a choice between them bb5s and all.

So you're saying swap out the fork on the Monocog and it would ride as nice as the Kona?

mtbr member
    um...no...

You asked the biggest difference. I don't even know how to answer this the only thing similar about the two bikes is that they are both steel rigid single speeds. But that's about it. The kona is a 29er with progressive geometry and a somewhat better quality tubing. The redline is a classic geo 26er with thick, straight gauge 4130. It does have a slightly higher bottom bracket then other frames, which can be kind of nice...

Anyway, this whole conversation is stupid, and its making me feel stupid discussing this with you.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Just sayin...

um...no...

You asked the biggest difference. I don't even know how to answer this the only thing similar about the two bikes is that they are both steel rigid single speeds. But that's about it. The kona is a 29er with progressive geometry and a somewhat better quality tubing. The redline is a classic geo 26er with thick, straight gauge 4130. It does have a slightly higher bottom bracket then other frames, which can be kind of nice...

Anyway, this whole conversation is stupid, and its making me feel stupid discussing this with you.
    Just answer this one question: Have you ridden both bikes, set up same/similar, on the same trail?

mtbr member
    I'm a Surly guy, check out the Karate Monkey. They can be had on Craigslist for $5-$800. Not sure how they compare in ride quality to the MC and Unit, though. No experience there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phsycle View Post
    Just answer this one question: Have you ridden both bikes, set up same/similar, on the same trail?
    wtf, do you stop?

No, I have not ridden both bikes set up the same way on the same trail. I have ridden both bikes mostly stock on the same trail. You can't even set these things up the same way one is an effin 29er.

Are you high right now?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast