mtbr member
    Feb 2013

New 2013 Specialized Carve SL SS

Just bought the new 2013 Specialized Carve SL SS and it is a beast. However maybe 5 miles into the first ride i began to notice a creaking while under load. I read from other posts on this bike that it is possibly coming from the bottom bracket? Any gear heads more knowledgeable than me know if this is true? Or an easy fix? I'd rather not take it back to the shop because they guys there are real *******s. Thanks.

nothing to see here

New 2013 Specialized Carve SL SS

My ebb on my carve has only creaked once in the year since I bought it. And that was after a very fine dusty race. I'd check the chainring bolts first. It is simple to remove the ebb once you've removed the crankset, just be sure to remove the two bolts completely and replace the ebb the same way.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    A riding buddy of mine has the same bike.....The rear wheel creaks at the spoke overlap.....started right away when it was new. LBS re tensioned and it went away for a while, came back. He now oils the spoke overlap which cures the creaking for a while....He weighs about 250lbs.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I am 6'2 185, so not really sure if that kind of weight would cause an issue.

mtbr member
    Not so much weight as power / riding style.

Anyway, also check seat post, rear wheel/frame interface and all the other usual suspects.

As Steveob says, I have had my Carve SS frame for a while now and have yet to experience any issues with the EBB.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bstoic View Post
    Just bought the new 2013 Specialized Carve SL SS and it is a beast. However maybe 5 miles into the first ride i began to notice a creaking while under load. I read from other posts on this bike that it is possibly coming from the bottom bracket? Any gear heads more knowledgeable than me know if this is true? Or an easy fix? I'd rather not take it back to the shop because they guys there are real *******s. Thanks.
    I don't know this bike but check/oil the seat clamp. I had some creaking on another bike, thought it was the BB, but oiling the rails a bit and readjusting fixed it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Oil or grease???? never heard of oiling a seat clamp.

I dont have this particluar bike but in genral when you have creaking issues I check.

Bottom Bracket first.
    Crank second.
    Wheels.
    Than just go from there.

If you dont have a torque wrench get one and jsut start going over the areas you think it is coming from one good jar of grease and a ttorque wrench will last you for years!
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Remove the Bottom Bracket and Eccentric Bottom Bracket (EBB) and clean it up good. Then lightly grease the EBB everywhere it contacts. Grease the bolts good and grease the crap out of the bottom bracket.

Bottom Brackets don't come with much grease on them from the factory and most shops don't take the time to take them apart during the build. This goes for all bikes not just SS.

Mine started creaking after the 3rd ride and by the 5th was real bad, did the above and no issue in 3 months!

IF, this does not solve it, check crank bolts (you should occasionally anyways), and rear wheel. Seatpost just needs a thin film of grease as well.

Enjoy!