mtbr member
    Nov 2007

New 2010 Stumpjumper 29 SS

I just purchased a Large SS frame and need some advise on the build. My budget is $1,000 for everything and I'm looking for the lightest and most durable build possible (yeah, I know). Parts I am currently considering are as follows:

Fork - Origin 8 or White Bros. carbon
    Wheels - ?
    Brakes - BB7's
    Cranks - 175 SLX
    Seat Post - Thompson
    Stem - 90mm x 10 degree Hope or Thompson
    Bars - Something in the 28" - 30" range
    Grips - Oury
    Gearing - 32 or 33 : 18
    Tires - ?

I'm 6'1" tall and 210 lbs fully loaded w/camel back. This is my first SS so all advise and recommendations are greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    75% into the wheels and tires. The rest can be generic closeout parts, low dollar light weight. I believe the WB and Origin are the same fork with different badging. I have the O8 and it is fairly decent. After wheels/tires next is the crank. I like the FSA Stylo OCT crank. Not as light as carbon but much lighter than the regular stylo and so far built proof.
    I would start out @ 32x20 for your first SS. You will spin out but if your rides are longer than an hour and hilly your legs will thank you. I am running the BB7's with the Full Metal Jacket cable set and have been very impressed with the performance. Easily rivals the Juicy 7's for far less on another bike.

I Void Waranties
    get some wide bars and go tubeless.
    The 1st production mountain bike was sold in 1984.
    Anti EBB

mtbr member
    A good wheelset is going to take up most of that $. As far as tires go, Specialized Captain on the back and a 2.4 Specialized Purgatory up front for added cushion. Velocity Blunts are nice rims that come in a big assortment of some really cool colors and they're pretty light but not too weak. Maybe lace them to some XT hubs to keep the price down. Use DT Champion spokes for strength. I agree with starting out 32 x 20 unless you have really flat terrain. This will give your legs and knees a chance to strengthen. When you get used to that, then step up to the 32 x 18. The carbon fork will cost you over $300. It may not be easy to keep it all under $1000. Post some pics when you're done.
    '11 Stumpjumper 29er SS
    '12 Niner EMD 1x10

mtbr member
    Mine just arrived this week also,
    I am up in the Air about Cranks. Specialized are out f stock until summer. With the BB91 OS bottom bracket I am limmited to Shimano or Speciakized. Does anyone else know of others?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Congrats...

IMO

As others said, invest in a ligher but strong wheelset...and run tubeless if it suits your terrain, also saves a few grams on the rotation weight. Not knowing your terrain, hard to say what type of tires.....

I'd use a 33 front ring....it's a nice ring and provides more gear range than the 32. I'd suggest starting with a 20 in the back, to get use to what works for you.

I like the BB 7s, but they are heavy...and for a few dollars more...I'd get a set of Elixr R's with a 180 mm rotor up front.

Find sets on ebay for very reasonable prices.

Quote Originally Posted by ricthedick
    I just purchased a Large SS frame and need some advise on the build. My budget is $1,000 for everything and I'm looking for the lightest and most durable build possible (yeah, I know). Parts I am currently considering are as follows:

Fork - Origin 8 or White Bros. carbon
    Wheels - ?
    Brakes - BB7's
    Cranks - 175 SLX
    Seat Post - Thompson
    Stem - 90mm x 10 degree Hope or Thompson
    Bars - Something in the 28" - 30" range
    Grips - Oury
    Gearing - 32 or 33 : 18
    Tires - ?

I'm 6'1" tall and 210 lbs fully loaded w/camel back. This is my first SS so all advise and recommendations are greatly appreciated.
    Happy new year..Stuff $: Eno 29wheel (non disc), Yakima, 2 steelheads, with towers for Volvo luggage rails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nofish
    Mine just arrived this week also,
    I am up in the Air about Cranks. Specialized are out f stock until summer. With the BB91 OS bottom bracket I am limmited to Shimano or Speciakized. Does anyone else know of others?
    Thanks
    Extralite has a crank that will fit, as well as Lightning - I'll be installing the Lightning

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Like the previous poster said, put as much as you can into the wheels. I highly rec. a stans wheel set. You can get their own ZTR hub laced into an Arch or 355 run it tubeless and save a bunch of weight. I would look to save on the stem and get a sram 8 speed chain. I would also look at the Surly cog, pretty much bomb proof. Avid BB7's would be the brake choice if you are looking to save some cash. Can't wait to see a pic of this machine.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I've got Flows on my Moment and love them and really wanted them on this bike too but I went a different route for better or worse, probably worse but oh well. I'm having a set built by my friend w/ surly hubs and sun hoops, and WI 18 tooth cog. I'm having Walt build me a fork, 470mm a to c and 41 mm of rake. Already got the BB7's, 175 mm Fifteen G cranks and bottom bracket, Thomson Seatpost, Thomson Stem, 745 mm Sunline V1 OS bars & WTB saddle. I'll post picks when it's built.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Stay away from Avid Elixr brakes on this frame: loud stumpjumper 29er brakes

Back on the wagon
    Since you're going rigid, I vote spend on the Fork first, then wheels, then the rest. Is there a reason you're only looking for a carbon fork? I'm a HUGE fan of the Vicious steel forks. Mine's been bombproof through many "what the hell did I do that for???" moments, and it rides like a dream. I've met some riders who work for the local custom Ti bike builders in New England (IF, Seven) and many of them also ride the Vicious steel forks. Just sayin'...

If you're looking to save a few bucks on wheels, maybe build them yourself? Pick up a nice set of Hadley hubs and lace them to some Mavic 819's.

To further save money, consider not getting a seat or a seatpost. It's a rigid SS - you won't be sitting down anyway Seriously, though - I own a few Thomson seatposts and from what I can tell the only difference they make is that I can tell people I own a few Thomson seatposts - and my wallet is a little lighter... Just pick up an Easton EA-30 or similar, that way if you decide you need a post with offset in the future, you're not out one year of college tuition for your kids.
    RIDE HARD, live easy.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Going steel on the fork from Waltworks. Just got a new Thomson seatpost off ebay for $60, can't go wrong there. I've decided on no carbon on this bike, just not nimble enough. It's going to be beefy but hopefyully under 25lbs. Just pickied up my wheels yestersay,
    Surley high flange single speed hubs, Sun Equalizer hoops and DT Swiss 14 guage spokes double crossed with WI 18 tooth cog weighing in @ 2300 grams.
    Last edited by Chapped (o) Hole; 02-15-2010 at 07:22 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

This wasn't due to the Elixr it was the sliders...

QUOTE=rtcage]Stay away from Avid Elixr brakes on this frame: loud stumpjumper 29er brakes[/QUOTE]

and frame at least I thought (edit....read that huge thread and was suprised to see the 2010 frames too)?....I had one friend riding ultimates with the issue and another riding Formula's. Their solution was to go to a smaller rear rotor which reduced the vibration, so I'm suprised to hear you post it is the Elixr.
    Happy new year..Stuff $: Eno 29wheel (non disc), Yakima, 2 steelheads, with towers for Volvo luggage rails.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger___
    QUOTE=rtcage]Stay away from Avid Elixr brakes on this frame: loud stumpjumper 29er brakes
    and frame at least I thought (edit....read that huge thread and was suprised to see the 2010 frames too)?....I had one friend riding ultimates with the issue and another riding Formula's. Their solution was to go to a smaller rear rotor which reduced the vibration, so I'm suprised to hear you post it is the Elixr.[/QUOTE]

Frankly I think it is a problem with the frame, but certain brakes tend to make it worse. Every Avid solution I tried did not work. So far XTRs with a 160mm rotor seem to be ok.

Sup
    hope x2s 160mm no buzz
    nicer than me avid juicy 7's