mtbr member
    Jan 2004

New 18" Surly 1x1, Too Tall?

Well it was the biggest surprise of my 26th christmas/birthday as my girlfriend wheels out my new 18" Surly 1x1 complete with disc brakes front and rear(first bike with discs is on a single go figure).

On to my question. I'm 5'8" with a 32" inseam which doesn't give me that much in the standover department, although I can stand over the top tube just fine with around an inch to spare.

I haven't had a chance to stand over/sit on a 16" as of yet but will try to find one soon here as this is what i'll be riding to work this winter. How tall are you 18" 1x1 riders and where do you stand on the stondover vs. top tube short or long vs. short or long stem?

I'm also riding a 17" jamis dragon that is almost spot on with a layback post and a 120mm stem.

Would greatly appreciate any input ya might have.
    "you don't wanna know and I don't know!"

mtbr remember

No help from me

as I am the same measurement as you. I feel too big on the 16, but the lack of stand over on the 18 concerns me.

Coming from a roadie background, I purchased mine based on the TT measurements. Other than the fear of having to bail on not having enough clearance, I feel more at home on the 18.

I am interested in what others might say about fit as well.

BTW, You gotta keep that girlfriend! How much initiative did she come up with on her own to know you wanted a bike like this? Or did you make it easy for her and say "I want this one, here is the picture and here is where to pick one up"...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Same thoughts here

I also based my decission off of geometry and the 18" just looked to fit me better. Yet sitting there in the living room it looks so tall. I had stood over/sat on one in the past and the 18" felt good in the top tube and I'm not a fan of long stems. Guess I answered my own question there but I thought i'd see what others are riding.

Maybe i'll just ride the 18" for a bit and see how well it works out. I can still bail fine I think being that I have at least some room.

Thought has never crossed my mind to upgrade my girlfriend, shes fantastic. I think what sparked her decission to get my the surly was that for her birthday I picked up a Cannondale r800 in T-Mobile pink for her in a 47cm, tuff find but its a perfect fit. That and i'm always sending links and talking bikes, more out loud than in my head I guess. not sure how she puts up with it all. LOL.

Thanks for the info

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Personally, I like riding my bikes, not standing over them.
    Seriously, how often are you standing over your TT with both feet unclipped?
    If I'm off the saddle I usually have one foot clipped in still.
    I say keep it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

keep the girlfriend!!!!!

[QUOTE=Nuget]Well it was the biggest surprise of my 26th christmas/birthday as my girlfriend wheels out my new 18" Surly 1x1 complete with disc brakes front and rear(first bike with discs is on a single go figure).

On to my question. I'm 5'8" with a 32" inseam which doesn't give me that much in the standover department, although I can stand over the top tube just fine with around an inch to spare.

I haven't had a chance to stand over/sit on a 16" as of yet but will try to find one soon here as this is what i'll be riding to work this winter. How tall are you 18" 1x1 riders and where do you stand on the stondover vs. top tube short or long vs. short or long stem?

"During your winter commute you probably will not notice the difference. When you really use the bike as an off-roader my concern would be that in my experience longer top tubes and short stems make the bike flop especially on longer more strenuous climbs. Measure the top tube on your Jamis. If it is close to the Surly 1-1.5cm you should be ok. Much more than 3/4" of an inch it would be my belief the bike has too short a stem. It that doesn't clarify then mesure from the centerline of the handle bar to the top tube. Those figures should match.

All that said some people love the "Genesis" geometry. The older roadies will remember longer top tubes were the thing to have in the early eighties. Then Greg L. started winning big time and short top tubes and laid back seat angles were back in vouge again. This just illustrates the old adage "what goes around comes around"

Later;

VTW

I'm also riding a 17" jamis dragon that is almost spot on with a layback post and a 120mm.

Would greatly appreciate any input ya might have

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Good job! Good point

Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    Personally, I like riding my bikes, not standing over them.
    Seriously, how often are you standing over your TT with both feet unclipped?
    If I'm off the saddle I usually have one foot clipped in still.
    I say keep it.
    Thanks for the input, makes sense. The bike came with a long stem(130mm?). So after replacing that with a 100mm or 90mm I think the cockpit will fit great with a straight seatpost.

I like to ride bikes!

18" works geat for me!!!

I'm 5,9 with a 32" inseam too. Its the best riding bike I have ever owned!!!

Shreddin the Cul de Sac

The TTs are tall

I have a 33/34" inseam, and I ride a 20" surly. I find the TT to be very tall, all other things considered (TT and HT length) but other than that the bike is great.

I second the opinion above that it's the best riding bike I've ever owned.

Once you get some time in the saddle you're gonna be loving it, like McD's (juts saw supersize me the other night - ewww).

Quote Originally Posted by Nuget
    Well it was the biggest surprise of my 26th christmas/birthday as my girlfriend wheels out my new 18" Surly 1x1 complete with disc brakes front and rear(first bike with discs is on a single go figure).

I'm also riding a 17" jamis dragon that is almost spot on with a layback post and a 120mm stem.

keep moving

Not because I'm fast.....

1x1 Frames

I ride a 22" 1x1 frame and the standover clearance is very minimal. The geometry of the 1x1 frame doesn't give much of a slanting top tube. I agree with Padre though, how often do you stand with your feet on the ground. If the larger frame fits you otherwise, I'd say keep it. Plus, larger frames give a more comfortable ride, regardless of the "you should ride the smallest frame that fits you" hype that runs rampant in the bike industry.

mtbr member

I have a 18" 1x1. I'm 5'10" with a 30" inseam. Stem is 110mm or so. Seems like I have shorter legs, but standover has never really been a concern. I have plenty of clearance.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Thanks all

I pealed some unwanted stickers off the frame yesturday. Also need to add some framesaver to the fork/frame, some adjusting here and there and the Surly will be ready to ride.

Thanks for the input looks as if i'll have no problem afterall, just stay on this bike instead of crashing like I do on all my other bikes.

Can't wait to get out and play in the snow, that is if any would stick around.

Happy trails

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

One More

I'm 5'8" with a 32" inseam. My FS bike is a 17" but my surly 1x1 is an 18. So pretty much identical to you.

The 18" surly is AWESOME!!! A smaller frame is more great for more technical riding, but twitchy for cranking on. Compare road bikes to mountain bikes... The Surly will feel a little tall and cumbersome in comparison. But your cranking alot harder on the 1x1 than your geared bike. The larger frame will make it feel more stable. And lets be honest your going to start off on easier trails with the 1x1 anyway. By the time you get to ride the technical stuff with the 1x1 you'll be used to it.

If your really concerned wrap the top tube with foam.