SSolo
    Apr 2008

Nevegal rear tire in reverse?

Anybody run a Kenda Nevegal rear tire in reverse (for more climbing traction and if so how do you like it compared to the 'normal' rotation direction? Braking, cornering, etc. any downsides to this setup? This is on my Mary SS for mostly hardpack with loose over top and loose with rocks and roots....Norcal. BTW running Nevegal up front in standard rotational direction.
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Natedogz
    Anybody run a Kenda Nevegal rear tire in reverse (for more climbing traction and if so how do you like it compared to the 'normal' rotation direction? Braking, cornering, etc. any downsides to this setup? This is on my Mary SS for mostly hardpack with loose over top and loose with rocks and roots....Norcal. BTW running Nevegal up front in standard rotational direction.
    Funny you should mention this. I was planning on doing the same thing yesterday. A tire with a nice sharp edge is awesome for climbing traction. The Nevegals have them only they are on the braking side of the tire when installed the way the arrow points. I think they would rock backwards. Most of your stopping power comes from the front wheel so I do not see much of a compromise and only traction for climbing to gain. I threw on a small block 8 instead so I will have to wait until this one is worn down. Shouldn't take too long.

I am the owl
    I run the Nevegal backwards on my rear wheel. Definitely improves the climbing traction.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

mtbr member
    Also interested in people's experience running these backwards on the rear. I was expecting to see two arrows for rear and front, but there's just one. So it would seem clear cut that running in reverse rotation would increase climbing traction, but has anyone experience any negatives to this direction, particularly in loose conditions as i just bought these tires in preparation for the dry summer season.

mtbr member
    I ran my Nevegals backwards before(only on the rear tire). But that was by accident. No comment on the difference in performance as I didnt pay much attention.

mtbr member
    Rampages are very similar design, and are actually designated on the tire to reverse the direction for the rear tire. I hated how my Rampages climbed till I noticed that. By swapping direction you will gain climbing traction and lose braking traction which can be helped by transferring weight to the rear while braking. For my Rampages it was night and day once I discovered my mistake and flipped the rear, I'd imagine it would be similar on the Nevs.

Kiss my Grits!

going in reverse

I accidentally ran my Nevengals in the wrong direction, by accident, one time and the ride was horrible. I was complaining about how slow I was, how I missed turns, and could brake to save my life. I thought I had become a worse rider until I realized I was just an inept mechanic.

I believe I had both my tires in the wrong direction though.
    Sometimes, with a very strenuous effort, I will fatigue.

master blaster
    wont going from a small block 8 to a reversed nevegal be a huge difference in sluggishness? i have issues at a few parts of my ride where i lose traction alot becuase of the sm8. but i love the fast, smooth rolling style
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding View Post
    The dude is like 120lbs, tops lol he can run any tires he wants without issues, i'm sure.

mtbr member

good and bad

run my nevegal reversed, +better traction -slower(already slow) -does not shed mud as well

overall I think that I can get the traction benefits with better riding form and not have the other drawbacks.

SSolo
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by riderx
    I run the Nevegal backwards on my rear wheel. Definitely improves the climbing traction.
    After a couple months of testing, I agree! This tire is way better run in reverse on the rear! I don't notice that it is any slower in the reverse direction (rear only) and braking is slightly less, but as somebody else said most braking comes from the front tire.

Nevegal 29x2.2 size is great on the rear but I need a better front tire with same volume for use in more hardpack and hardpack with loose over top....anybody?
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...