Thread: Need new Seat

mtbr member

Need new Seat

im tired of my Fizik wing flex
    doesnt ride well on trails
    whats a good saddle for under $100 that will ride well on both street and trails

808+909 = Party Good Time
    Charge Spoon. Super comfy. Super rad looking and well reviewed. Well under $100.

mtbr member
    are WTB saddles good?

808+909 = Party Good Time
    Quote Originally Posted by Gearsequalqueers
    are WTB saddles good?
    yep... especially the Rocket V

local trails rider
    What?
    My Nisene HP is the best seat ever
    Wide enough for my sit bones, narrow enough to be out of the way, good shape.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Brooks if you don't mind the weight.

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    are WTB saddles good?
    the pure V race hurts
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

V-Shaped Rut
    I never understood the whole Brooks thing. Guys have carbon bars, lightweight hubs, rims, Ti frames...... And then a 1 pound leather 1920's style saddle. Is it comfy? ****, who cares? You're on an SS, what are you doing sitting down anyway?

A rocket V weighs half as much and is plenty comfortable for most. I don't want to make it a weight weenie thing because I'm not, but $ for $ (talking about the brooks Ti version) why make the bike heavier?

=========
    Quote Originally Posted by big_slacker
    I never understood the whole Brooks thing. Guys have carbon bars, lightweight hubs, rims, Ti frames...... And then a 1 pound leather 1920's style saddle. Is it comfy? ****, who cares? You're on an SS, what are you doing sitting down anyway?

A rocket V weighs half as much and is plenty comfortable for most. I don't want to make it a weight weenie thing because I'm not, but $ for $ (talking about the brooks Ti version) why make the bike heavier?
    I rode one on a borrowed bike and had to have one after that. Like a hammock...sorta. I'm like big boned (fat ass) so weight doesn't really come into play that much.

Has anyone sent their brooks to selle anitomica to have it carved?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    are WTB saddles good?
    WTB saddles have a particular fit... they tend to be longer nosed, and have a 'whale tail' pedalling platform at the rear. Can be tricky to get the angle set just right, and usually results in the nose being visually quite a bit higher than with other saddles. The V saddles provide a nice pedalling platform, but can be more difficult to get behind on the steeps.

You'll have to try a few to see if they fit you. I won't run anything else, but I think WTB must have had a mold of my a$$ when they designed their saddles.

Also, don't just try one out by riding it around the block from the LBS. If possible, ride the demo on a nearby trail, or at least on some uneven urban terrain.

I have the Pure V on my fixed mtb and like the width and concavity b/c I spend alot of time in the saddle. On my road bike/commuter I have the Silverado SLT which is an unbelievably great saddle. I wouldn't want the Silverado on my mtb though... ouch. It's a tall order to get a saddle that handles both really well.

achiever
    I love the WTB Silvarado. I have one on my Monocog. Even without the whale tale, I still adjust a bit nose up.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by redwarrior
    I love the WTB Silvarado. I have one on my Monocog. Even without the whale tale, I still adjust a bit nose up.
    Yeah... I was running the Silverado on my monocog too... It was great, but it just doesn't work out well for me riding fixed.

mtbr member
    May 2007

yep, WTB= Good

are WTB saddles good?
    I run the Pure on 3 of my SS's, and also have the Devo and a Silverado on 2 other bikes,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,for me WTB's are the ticket

instead of buying a new seat, raise your gear ratio. you won't have to sit down so much. problem solved.

Happy in Happy Valley
    Jun 2008
    I've got a WTB butt... I've got both a Laser and rocket V. Both are comfy. The SLT (Ti rails) rocket is not too heavy either, and can be had for under $100.

On the other hand that Charge Spoon looks to be a similar shape, is much cheaper and about the same weight. Plus it looks good!
    Rigid Surly 1x1 650b--------Fixed CrossCheck--------Surly Pacer-------Salsa Ala Carte

Expert Crasher
    Head to a Trek store and use their fitting system for a Bontrager Inform Saddle - very comfy seats when you get one properly sized!
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Pure V is the only saddle I'll ride until it gives me a reason to search for something better.

I love both of mine and have one thats about 2 years old and holding up very well.

Retro Grouch
    I have two saddles I like; first is the Selle Italia Flite Ti. They're on 4 of my bikes (2 mtb and 2 road). Saddles are a very personal item, but these are comfy and have a lot of give. Second, are Brooks; I have 2 B25s on road bikes and the Ti version on my velodrome race bike. Interestingly enough, the Ti version is my least favorite, but track races are relatively short so I don't notice it as much. Brooks rock for two reasons; They are very, very comfy and they last forever. The common line is you have to break in a Brooks to make it comfy; and while there may be some minor break in, the real story is the Brooks have to break in your butt, and once that happens, you have a comfy saddle for life. One addition is this Sette Race Ti. I was looking for a super light saddle for cheap, and tried this one. To my surprise it's quite comfy; similar to a Flite Ti. Sette, Sette, Sette. Anyway, despite some replies to you post, it's important to get a comfy saddle; there was at least one racer that kept his saddle where ever he went, so he knew it would disappear on him. My suggestion is to borrow a saddle before you buy one. You might even try your LBS, one of mine actually has test saddles for you to try out before you buy.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Just one more rep and I get the toaster!

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by aka brad
    You might even try your LBS, one of mine actually has test saddles for you to try out before you buy.
    I found my current favorite seats by sitting on bikes at a LBS.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    WTB Pure V on both bikes and love it. I'm shopping for another saddle and was looking at the spoon.. but looks like its sold out everywhere and I'm not a patient guy.

Life is Go0d!
    Quote Originally Posted by chumbox
    yep... especially the Rocket V
    +1 on the Rocket V. My bits love it.
    The only regrets in life, are the risks you didn't take.

mtbr member

New question here. wtb saddle soreness

...anyone else ever feel that the ABR Type Corners, (designed to SAVE your Saddle) which also round over to the TOP of the saddles on most brands, including many of the WTB's, a bit Harsh on your butt and ever cause any skin irritation from too many hours on them, they sure feel abrasive to me when i wear Cotton or Thinner shorts, even with a good chamois liner. Seems that bike liners do not really cover your butt on those outer corners of the saddles.

mtbr member

New question here. saddle sore

Quote Originally Posted by nuck_chorris
    the pure V race hurts
    ...hmmm, just curious if the pain you experience is internal (muscle or bone soreness) or more external (skin related). what about Your V saddle causes this?

mtbr member
    Check out the DivA (yes the womans version) by WTB, very popular saddle. We have the WTB test program and the Deva is a winner for many people, two guys here at the shop are running it as well.

I'm running a Selle Italia SLR XC, and I love it
    Adam Ann Arbor, MI