mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Need a new chain, replace chainring and cog?

Rode my GT Peace for about 1-1/2 years with the stock chainring, cog and KMC Z610HX. Don't think I ever dropped a chain. When it was time to replace (checked with a Park chain wear indicator), went with a Salsa 32T chainring, a Shimano 18T SS cog and a SRAM PC1.

I've got about 180 miles on 15 rides with the new setup. I've had to tension the chain about every 2-3 rides and dropped the chain on almost every other ride. Initially I assumed the chain was stretching during the break in period. Checked the chainline using the method shown here in the forum. During the ride yesterday, the chain broke on a short climb.

After reading other comments in this forum, I'm planning to replace the chain. Probably going back to a KMC chain. Since I've only got about 180 miles, should I replace the chainring and cog too?

Thanks for the help.
    JD
    2014 Cannondale F29 Carbon 3
    2009 GT Peace 9R SS
    2008 Cannondale Prophet 4, Lefty Max TPC

mtbr member
    The answer is no--you don't need to replace your cog and chainring. One thought--chains usually break because of lateral stress. You don't mention how your rear wheel is secured in the dropouts, or if you use a tug, but I'd suspect a wheel that is less than straight and/or loose in the dropouts.

I doubt that the brand of chain is at issue.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Tensioner setup, both sides
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need a new chain, replace chainring and cog?-p1030449.jpg  

2009 GT Peace 9R SS

mtbr member
    Looks good, but it's impossible to tell if it's straight from a picture. A quick examination of the broken chain should reveal what kind of stress caused the break--e.g. is the broken link bent from lateral stress and in what direction.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Wheel is eye balled straight. Both outer plates were flared out and the pin pulled out. I was able to bend the plates towards to each other and snap the pin back in, but did not ride out of the woods.
    2009 GT Peace 9R SS

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    So after some inspection it appears that the stock, drive-side crankarm had loosened. The slines are trashed. So the chainline was all over the place while riding. The chainring is worn, so it was occurring for awhile. The cog is steel and still looks good.

I have a spare SLX 9sp 3x crankset with a fairly new 32T chainring and 9sp chain that I could install. After removing the 22T and 44T, will the 32t work or do I need to run a SS specific ring?
    2009 GT Peace 9R SS

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Need a new chain, replace chainring and cog?

Also make sure you use a 3/32 chain if the rings are also 3/32. I think the PC1 is 1/8 - lots of people say that chain is crap too.