• 03-18-2013
    edle
    Need help in chossing the correct size single speed front chainring for a 29er.
    32T(front) + 20T(back) in a 26er = ??T(front) + 20T(back) in a 29er.

I felt really comfortable in the above single speed 26er gear ratio now. I need to know which front chainring size can give me the same feel as the 26er if my 29er has 20T in the back.

Thanks.....
  • 03-18-2013
    J.B. Weld
    18 t would be the closest match, would give you a slightly bigger (harder) gear. 33 x 19 would be nearly exact.
  • 03-18-2013
    sslos
    30t. But I'd try the 32x20 first, just 'cause you've got it.

Los
  • 03-18-2013
    J.B. Weld
    ssios is right, I got it bass ackwards. You could keep the ring and fet a 22 rear cog and be close too, you're at about 42 gear inches now. BikeCalc.com - Bicycle Gear Inches Chart
  • 03-18-2013
    edle
    Thanks for the info.
    I have 32T x 20T now in the SS 29er and I would like to buy the front chainring once since experiment with different front rings will be expensive.

Other option....If front ring is 32T, then which rear cog should I get.
  • 03-18-2013
    sslos
    Quote:

Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    ssios is right, I got it bass ackwards. You could keep the ring and fet a 22 rear cog and be close too, you're at about 42 gear inches now. BikeCalc.com - Bicycle Gear Inches Chart

Quote:

Originally Posted by edle View Post
    Thanks for the info.
    I have 32T x 20T now in the SS 29er and I would like to buy the front chainring once since experiment with different front rings will be expensive.

Other option....If front ring is 32T, then which rear cog should I get.

As J.B. Weld said, 22t will keep you close in gear inches, but I've found that a slightly larger gear can be just fine with the switch to 29" wheels. I'd avoid switching chainrings for a couple of reasons- smaller rings are hard to find, they're more expensive, and they'll wear out faster.
    I assumed since you were asking about chainrings that you had a high dollar freewheel like the White Industries.

Los
  • 03-18-2013
    edle
    The 20T cog is Chris King. Too bad CK don't have 22T. I will try out the 32T-20T combo and see how it feels.

Thanks everyone for the valuable info.