mtbr member
    Dec 2004

New question here. Need help on Bianchi sizing - 17.5 or 19.5??

Howdy All! Been lurking for a couple of weeks now and have finally decided I need to go single! I'm leaning towards the Bianchi models but am not sure which size. I know the best way is to go for a ride, but finding one near by has been a challenge (and if anyone knows of one for sale other than on ebay or the MTBR classifieds, let me know!).

I'm 5'11" with a 32" inseam, about 165 lbs. Could I fit on either a 17.5" or 19.5" or will one work better than the other?

Thanks!

mtbr member

i have a 19.5 buss with a 32 inseam and it fits great, rides even better

scott
    Attached Images Attached Images

Derailleurs owned: 0
    I agree.
    Which color are you considering?
    Fish Hunter... BASS?

Quote Originally Posted by scottms33
    i have a 19.5 buss with a 32 inseam and it fits great, rides even better

scott

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by c0jones
    I agree.
    Which color are you considering?
    Fish Hunter... BASS?
    Mmmmmmm..........Bass.......................

One gear to rule them all
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish Hunter
    Howdy All! Been lurking for a couple of weeks now and have finally decided I need to go single! I'm leaning towards the Bianchi models but am not sure which size. I know the best way is to go for a ride, but finding one near by has been a challenge (and if anyone knows of one for sale other than on ebay or the MTBR classifieds, let me know!).

I'm 5'11" with a 32" inseam, about 165 lbs. Could I fit on either a 17.5" or 19.5" or will one work better than the other?

Thanks!
    I had a similar choice when buying my DISS. I am 5'11" with a 33" inseam.
    I chose the 19.5 because of the top tube length. I was never really happy with the way it fit, and I sold it a year later. I ended up with a frame with a longer top tube than the 19.5 and a short seat tube like the 17.5.
    Todd............. If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague

try driving your car less

Thanks!
    19.5 for sure. I have a CUSS that size. Just so you know, even if you get to test ride a new one, they usually come with a lot of seat to bar drop. many riders (including myself) tend to raise the bars using a higher rise bar or a different stem or some combo thereof. I didnt like mine until I messed around with that and it got much better. I also think the rigid fork that came with my bike was too short. putting a suspernsion fork corrected that for my tastes. In addition, bigger tires and a ti post really made the ride smoother and more enjoyable for this guy.
    are you looking for a frame or a whole bike?
    Only boring people get bored.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    "are you looking for a frame or a whole bike?"

I could go for either/or. I've got a too big HT mtn bike that I could strip and use the parts to start out with if I only got a frame. Or, I could sell the whole bike if I ended up finding a complete SS.

As far as improving the ride, thanks for the tips. I was kind of concerned with that as my mtn bike is Titanium - even though it's too big for me, the ride is quite nice!

try driving your car less
    "are you looking for a frame or a whole bike?"

I could go for either/or. I've got a too big HT mtn bike that I could strip and use the parts to start out with if I only got a frame. Or, I could sell the whole bike if I ended up finding a complete SS.

As far as improving the ride, thanks for the tips. I was kind of concerned with that as my mtn bike is Titanium - even though it's too big for me, the ride is quite nice!
    sent you a PM
    Only boring people get bored.

rep
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I am 6' or so and ride a 17.5" BUSS. I actually like having lots of straddle room so I don't castrate myself doing stuff like snow riding in the mountains in the dark (just got back). I got the BUSS on e-bay about a year ago and have put about 2000 miles on it so far. I was worried that the long seat post would die young but everything has held up great. For you, I would suggest the 17.5" if you do weird off-road stuff and maybe the 19" if you do mostly road.

Cold. Blue. Steel.

19.5"!

i am 6' with a 33" inseam and rode a 19.5" BuSS. the thing about going SS is that you stand so much that a "too small" frame won't give you the freedom to move about while standing. and a small frame will give you less traction while standing and grunting with so much weight over your fork. i always go with the smallest properly fitting size (sometimes you wind up right in the middle of sizes offered) because i think you can tune it better and it rides better. but with SS, your riding style is different from geared and i think you won't like the handling as much with the 17.5"
    my 2 worth!
    Spinning and Grinning...