Thread: Need barends

Low Rep Count

Need barends

Ok, I have ridden Cane Creeks for at least 6 years now. But today i stripped the stupid little bolt on my second set (note these were only 2 months old). After my ride today, I can say that I hate riding without them. Climbing sucks!

So, I am looking for something supper light and small. I am running a carbon Race Face bar and have not had any problems with the barends clamping on so far. Looking for something small as I really just need some sort of little nub or something.

I wish I could find something that was just a littel egg shaped bar end if you will. I mean, something that has a hole in it that the bar can slide into it, with a screw through the other end and a plug in the hole with a wedge like a normal bmx bar end or something like that if you will.

In any case, I would love more carbon or even something ti but haven't seen much of what I am looking for.

If you have some ideas, please post up some pics/links.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Hmm, I have two sets of the Cane creek bar ends and have never stripped out a bolt. I cracked a carbon bar end though. I know what you mean. I love climbing with them. So much more leverage and comfort.

Dive Bomber
    I am just wondering is it strange to have barends on high riser handlebar?

I think I might need them because the road is very steep although it's only 3km. Since probably barends might help me climb without get-off and walk.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Tap it out to the next size larger bolt. Presto.

I run Rosies on mine, wouldn't want to do a long ride w/o them.

Ahhh the pain....
    I bought some cheap sette bar ends from price point and cut them down to nubs...cheap, lightweight, and just the right size....
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I'm using some old titanium bar ends that were made by Litespeed. Very light for sure, but the bar itself is a bit small in diameter. They work well for me because I have small hands. the problem I'm having is they have literally become polished from use making them very slippery. Other than bar tape what could I put on them to give some grip.

Dirty South Underdog
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jackspade
    I am just wondering is it strange to have barends on high riser handlebar?

I think I might need them because the road is very steep although it's only 3km. Since probably barends might help me climb without get-off and walk.
    I have the widest riser bars I could find with bar ends on them. I can climb pretty much anything. I have powered up stuff most geared riders can't make it up. [IMG][/IMG]

Dive Bomber
    That's cool I think I wanna try on my bike too. I have a pair of old barends.

Thanks for the pic.

mtbr member
    How about some Ned Overendīs bar ends

http://www.specialized.com/es/en/bc/...ItemId=0&eid=0

mtbr member
    Their pretty heavy, but feel awesome in my hands:

http://www.amazon.com/CatEye-Bones-H.../dp/B002G73TZ8

Bryan d
    Just keep pedaling, don't stop pedaling.

Low Rep Count
    Let me clarify, the bolt head has stripped. I have a bit to reverse the bolt out but finding a replacement screw has always proven to be a pita! This is what led to my just buying a second set.

I will look into the Price Point idea.

The need for singlespeed
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeSS
    This bike looks ready for anything!

Low Rep Count
    I just went ahead and ordered some Sette cheapos and will be hacking them down. The starting weight is 115 grams but I figure I will drop that to about 75 once I hack them down. Also picked up a new set of ESI grips (chunky's this time) in black. Love Price Point.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    What size is the bolt?

Low Rep Count
    I don't know the proper sizing. Only that it has a 4mm hex head. Getting the bolt out won't be too difficult as I have an extracting bit for my drill but finding a replacement will be tricky since I don't have a way to measure the bolt (thread pitch...)

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    If it's a metric bolt, which is probably is, divide 10 by the number of threads over 1cm (peak to peak is 1), and that's your thread pitch. Then order some high strength steel ones from McMaster.

Low Rep Count
    Funny, I just ordered some tensioner screws from them for the rear stay because someone knew the bolt size. I will extract the bolt some time this week and measure it up and get an order in. Thaks Z!

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    I'd recommend hockey tape. If you want to get really fancy, buy a quart of truck bedliner liquid and dip them.
    - Joe

Quote Originally Posted by hairyharris
    I'm using some old titanium bar ends that were made by Litespeed. Very light for sure, but the bar itself is a bit small in diameter. They work well for me because I have small hands. the problem I'm having is they have literally become polished from use making them very slippery. Other than bar tape what could I put on them to give some grip.

Low Rep Count
    Depending on how my new ones feel and how much of them are left after I hack them down, I may cut a portion of my old ESI grips and slip them on on them.