mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Need Advice HBC size chainring and chain

I'm in the process of building my first SS. I'm sick and tired of wearing out "geared" components so I want to move to the darkside right the first time.

I am planning on the following

Sram X0 and go spiderless.

I want the HBC 32t and HBC 18t.

My question is this. What size chainrings 3/32 or 1/8th? I'm fairly large and love to mash. I don't wanna replace chains and chainrings like I did on my geared bike.

Also I need a chain. Is there a certain proven "go to" singlespeed chain that holds up to the abuse? Thanks in advance.

Apr 2007
    3/32" ring/cog and SRAM 8-9sp chains.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut View Post
    3/32" ring/cog and SRAM 8-9sp chains.
    Seconded.

surly inbred
    Quote Originally Posted by asetliff View Post
    I'm in the process of building my first SS. I'm sick and tired of wearing out "geared" components so I want to move to the darkside right the first time.
    You might be disappointed if that's your only reason for ditching the shifty bits.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Nater View Post
    Seconded.
    Agreed as well

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TroutBum View Post
    You might be disappointed if that's your only reason for ditching the shifty bits.
    My biggest reason for wearing stuff out is standing up and stomping. I think I tend to ride in a style that most favors riding a single speed. Sitting and spinning just isn't working. It's slowing me down actually. I've got a $5,000 Rip 9 that I don't like to ride just cause it's full suspension just doesn't feel right for my riding style. I'd rather ride my HT. So I figure if I'm gonna do it, why not go all out SS full rigid. I just like riding and looking to mix it up so I've got more than stuff wearing out for the change.

For those recommending the sram chains. Are we talking a sram 951,971, or 991? I've destroyed about five of those this past year and four cassettes. I guess I'm confused on the chain stuff. I always thought a single speed chain has to be stronger cause the amount of rider induced stress on the driveline.

My current setup is sram xo cassettes and kmc x9 chains. I've had good luck with them so far.

I hammer the hills pretty hard and have fun doing it. I just don't wanna replace chains on a SS like I have to on my geared bike. Please keep the comments and insight coming.

mtbr member
    I use one of the KMC BMX chains on my singlespeed, the 710SL I think.

I was just contemplating this the other day when I saw the thread with singlespeed HBC rings on SS bikes, but with chain guides on them. I've never dropped a chain on my bike, are the SRAM 8-9 speed chains more likely to come off when used for singlespeed? I would think with the plates being beveled, and with the purpose of those chains being that they're supposed to move up and down a cassette or chainring set maybe this could be a possibility? I honestly have no clue, because I've always used chains with the intended purpose so I'm curious.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    i run 1/8" with a SRAM PC-7X.....

chain lasts me about a season of hard riding...

errr, umm..when i actually used to ride alot...damn kids...

my .02
    Click Here for Forum Rules

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Is there going to be any huge difference in the two sizes of chain? I'm thinking 1/8th but if its no stronger and only heavier I'm fine with the latter. I just don't wanna have to replace stuff all the time.

Apr 2007
    Despite what others may say, I personally have not had issues with SRAM 8-9 sp chains. Not saying no one's broken one, but for me, they've proved to be pretty durable. Geared set ups may put more stress on the chains, as they're working at times at extreme angles. Especially if you cross chain. But any chain can break, so just some extra links and you'll be ok.

FYI, I'm currently using el cheapo SRAM 850 and 870 chains. On my fixed roadie, $10 KMC 1/8" (only because my chainring is 1/8"). No issues thus far.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    3/32 and a KMC 810sl single speed chain. dont seem to stretch out as fast as the sram ones and i have never had one break on me. got them on 2 of my bikes.
    http://mwtcyclingclub.44.forumer.com/
    our local midwest bike forum... check it out!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Just get 3/32" stuff and a matching 8 speed chain. In my experience, the 8 speed chains last longer and stretch less. If you're still set on 1/8", be sure you get an 1/8" chainring and cog AND buy a real, high quality NJS track chain ($$). Most any other 1/8" chain is crap (SRAM PC-1, KMC Z chain) and meant for a kiddie BMX bike.....there is a reason they cost $8.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Ordered a 3/32" 32 black spiderless and 18 matching rear cog.

One last question and I'll quit. What length chain is normal for a 29er? I'm seeing some 100 link chains and not sure if that is gonna be long enough. I know I have to cut to fit.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I've never counted the links in my chain. I buy the SRAM PC 850 chains for something like $11 each. They fit just fine and last. I replace the chain every 3 or so months because they're so cheap and it keeps my rings and cogs in great shape.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Been running the old chains off my geared bike on my SS. I have a PC991 on it I think. It has come off once but it was user error (loose).

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    3/32.

The SRAM 870 8 speed chain is the peach, but there are several other excellent 3/32 chains to choose from. The main point is there's nothing really to be gained by going to 1/8.

Members who have read this thread: 0