USB Rep'n

Need advice on dealing w/ LBS...

Readers Digest version...

3/7 Ordered SC Chameleon frame from lbs $400 + tax) and on 3/9 I paid in full for it. The dealer is a friend (not close, but a friend nonetheless). I was told the frame was ordered that day and should be in in two weeks. A couple weeks later I hear frames would be in end of month then paint so early April. No problem, I understand that. Jump to April and Im hoping to see it before leaving for break but no biggie that its not in. 12 days later, I get back. Its now April 18th and still nothing. I call and ask if they can get an eta on it and was told sure and that they'd call back. NO call back (go figure). I call again and get some lame azz response that the frame has "been ordered". Pizzed, I call SC direct and they are cool enough to tell me that the order didin't even get placed unitl 3/19 so I missed the March frames. That blows that the LBS did that (and lied about it) and it explains the wait. SC tells me that frames might be in end of April and then paint. I am guessing that leaves me looking towards the end of May (middle at best). When I called the LBS to tell them that they said they never got through to SC and wondered how I did. Hmmm, and hour before they told me they spoke to SC. Later on that day I called my friend (the owner) and told him I had to get it off my chest about them just not being straight with me. Delays happen, lies are intentional. He seemed bummed and even challenged the day I ordered and paid trying to defend the dleayed order by the shop (I can read my bank statement thanks). Now Im really getting pizzed. How tough is it to accept some responsibility and try to smooth things over? Anyway, the conversation ended with nothing coming out of it.

Here's the question (finally): I have found several shops that have the frame (IN STOCK) for $449 (no tax) so the price is about the same. Do I cancel the order at the LBS and order today (meaning Id be building it by next week) or leave the order and wait another full month or more? I know the friendship migh tbe in question if I did but what good is a friendship where lies are involved anyway?

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I can get tubes and cables at other area shops in case it means Id be excommunicated from this one, I do all my own labor already, and parts can be found online so its really not a factor if I cant show my face there. Am I being a d!ck to even think of doing this or do you think things have gone far enough?

Thanks all, I need some perspective on this since Im just too close to the issue to be rational.

Later,
    Scott
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

giddy up!

cancel and go elsewhere!

....there are too many good, honest shops out there to waste your time with a dodgy one..I would explain to them in a very friendly manner why you are cancelling, and see if you can maintain the relationship, otherwise, wash your hands of it...

I have spent many years working in shops, and learned pretty quickly the value of honesty in dealing with these types of situations....if they haven't figured that out yet, maybe they will soon...

Quote Originally Posted by namaSSte

3/7 Ordered SC Chameleon frame from lbs $400 + tax) and on 3/9 I paid in full for it. The dealer is a friend (not close, but a friend nonetheless). I was told the frame was ordered that day and should be in in two weeks. A couple weeks later I hear frames would be in end of month then paint so early April. No problem, I understand that. Jump to April and Im hoping to see it before leaving for break but no biggie that its not in. 12 days later, I get back. Its now April 18th and still nothing. I call and ask if they can get an eta on it and was told sure and that they'd call back. NO call back (go figure). I call again and get some lame azz response that the frame has "been ordered". Pizzed, I call SC direct and they are cool enough to tell me that the order didin't even get placed unitl 3/19 so I missed the March frames. That blows that the LBS did that (and lied about it) and it explains the wait. SC tells me that frames might be in end of April and then paint. I am guessing that leaves me looking towards the end of May (middle at best). When I called the LBS to tell them that they said they never got through to SC and wondered how I did. Hmmm, and hour before they told me they spoke to SC. Later on that day I called my friend (the owner) and told him I had to get it off my chest about them just not being straight with me. Delays happen, lies are intentional. He seemed bummed and even challenged the day I ordered and paid trying to defend the dleayed order by the shop (I can read my bank statement thanks). Now Im really getting pizzed. How tough is it to accept some responsibility and try to smooth things over? Anyway, the conversation ended with nothing coming out of it.

Here's the question (finally): I have found several shops that have the frame (IN STOCK) for $449 (no tax) so the price is about the same. Do I cancel the order at the LBS and order today (meaning Id be building it by next week) or leave the order and wait another full month or more? I know the friendship migh tbe in question if I did but what good is a friendship where lies are involved anyway?

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I can get tubes and cables at other area shops in case it means Id be excommunicated from this one, I do all my own labor already, and parts can be found online so its really not a factor if I cant show my face there. Am I being a d!ck to even think of doing this or do you think things have gone far enough?

Thanks all, I need some perspective on this since Im just too close to the issue to be rational.

Later,
    Scott
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If you can get your dough back from the first shop, I say go for it. Especially if the other shop has the Chameleon in the color you want .

USB Rep'n
    Quote Originally Posted by CouchCanoodle
    If you can get your dough back from the first shop, I say go for it. Especially if the other shop has the Chameleon in the color you want .
    I shoulda mentioned that. The color they have was my second choice so its good. I also should mentioned that I got a run around trying to order the parts for the new bike through the original LBS too. I wound up buying a few hundred dollars worth from em but bought some stuff away because they wouldn't even give me my costs on a list of parts I gave them . I was going to buy everything from them but they made it impossible.

eh-nay Ityopia!

giddy up!

Yeah, get your money back...

....and order the frame. You've been waiting long enough, and I'd hate to see you break the blizz!

Cancel today, get off your computer and go cancel. If the guy is a real friend, he'll understand your needs, if he doesn't understand, what kind of friend is he?

I shoulda mentioned that. The color they have was my second choice so its good. I also should mentioned that I got a run around trying to order the parts for the new bike through the original LBS too. I wound up buying a few hundred dollars worth from em but bought some stuff away because they wouldn't even give me my costs on a list of parts I gave them . I was going to buy everything from them but they made it impossible.
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

try driving your car less
    The dealer is a friend (not close, but a friend nonetheless).
    That blows that the LBS did that (and lied about it) and it explains the wait.
    , lies are intentional.
    Later,
    Scott
    if the dealer was really your friend, he would not lie to you and give you the runaround. cancel the order. dont put down $$ for a new bike until you have the $$ from the bad LBS.
    and be honest with the dude about the situation. he'll be pissed, but the truth hurts, he sucks. and even if it comes in tomorrow or something, never go back there.
    the LBS owner here loaned his own personal bike to a guy when his new bike was behind schedule. and when it comes in late, you can be sure some little parts are upgraded or at least a free jersey is thrown in there or something.
    Only boring people get bored.

I am the owl
    Vote with your dollar.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Drop the shop and buy it elsewhere, fo' shizzy!
    You don't owe they shop owner any courtesy in this instance.
    He obviously hasn't demonstrated any effort to retain your business.

A plain old rider

Drop the LBS

You owe him nothing, now the real show of if he is your friend are not is if he will cancel the order.

He sounds like the Bike nazi I had to deal with when I lived in Texas. Only bike shop for 75 miles, he charged 15% above msrp. So we named him the Bike nazi (no bike for you!).

(Hopefully someone rembers the soup nazi from Seinfield)
    The greatest gift you ever give is your honest self.

Fred Rogers

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I ran in a similar situation a few years back with skiies. Ordered the buggers in January, the shop charged me. Kept pushing me around saying they were back ordered and the hole works. May rolls around, no skiis. The shop told me over the phone they could give me store credit but when I went in they gave me cash. I still ski and kayak with the owner on the weekend.

Thing is, business is business, you gave them your money but they haven't supplied you with their product. If the shop can't understand their mistake, their loss. The season is here, you need to ride.

Peace ~n

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

yeah, man, take your $$ elsewhere...

you know how easy it was for The Bike Co.(www.bikeco.com) to get not one, but 2 chameleons for me. you deserve to be treated better and you should definitely go to the other shop and get the frame from them.
    [size=1][/size]

Combat Wombat

Like everyone else said......

Later,
    Scott
    They are taking advantage of you being a nice guy. Not unless you do not mind giving your money to someone that thinks your a smuck and has no problem disrespecting you, get your money back and go elsewhere. Besides, even when they eventually get the bike, do you really want to own it with this kind of karma attached.
    Someone once wrote somewhere here in MTBR, "never buy a bike from someone that you would not want to ride with". It has been my experience that these are words to live by.

Brian

Daddy of 3 now!

I feel your pain...

Scott,

There are really only two options.. Wait it out another couple of weeks and enjoy your Blizz, or hopefully get your money refunded and go to the other LBS. If your current LBS wants to keep your business he will do the right thing for you. With any luck he may go above and beyond to help the situation. From the way they treated you on the phone it doesn't sound like they will, but If you go in there with an attitude and tell them this is unacceptable you never know..
    Good luck. Keep us informed on what happened..

later
    Tony

USB Rep'n
    thanks to all of you for the great advice. Having read all of the replies, I decided to call the LBS. I was frankly a little tense about doing it because of the whole relationship with the owner. Anyway, he was with some customers but took the call right away. I explained how frustrated I had become and that I was contemplating cancelling the order. Long story short, he took responsibilty for some of the BS that happened and I gave him some honest and constructive criticism about how things were going. Its a really new shop and his first so I told him that Id cut him some slack but no more bs.

SC told him that my bike is definitely in the current run coming in end of the month for paint and that Im looking at 3 weeks. I guess we'll see. In the end, I am glad I was able to get things totally in the open with him and keep the friendship intact at the saem time. I know it wasn't all his fault but I think both the shop and the mfg overextended on this a bit and this is the result.

Hope this doesn't make me sound like a pu@@y for not cancelling. To be honest, that would have been easier than continuing to wait. I think I did the right thing but I owe you all a bunch of thanks since I would not have made that call had you all not at least started me in that direction.

Chalk up another one for the folks here!

Peace all!!

eh-nay Ityopia!

mtbr member
    Well, you've got it worked out maybe, but I have to give you one more nugget to mull over:

--Santa Cruz doesn't bill your LBS for the bike until it ARRIVES in the LBS, and then on a Net-30, ie the shop has 30-days to pay. The slacker LBS has been sitting on your cash, and using it, this whole time.

I hope the LBS owner appreciates that you're trying to help HIM out in this situation, and isn't just coddling you along.

The name's Norm...
    Unfortunatly the LBS seems like they are the only place to get parts,ect. Get your money back and go elsewhere.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

customer service

Being a new shop explains a lot. You don't have to have good customer service skills to open a shop, just money. Maybe they learned something from the whole thing.
    good luck with your frame

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Get your money back and then RUN!!! like everyone said there are plenty of good shops out there. I had kinda the same experience about 5 yrs. back. I found my shop that way. Friends still go to the boutique shops like that one. I found one that doesn't even really advertise, every customer does it for them. good luck

You Are What You Is
    You should at least ask for a deal on the parts that you ordered. I think a 15% discount on parts, or a year of free maintenance, or something is in order. There's no excuse for that kind of runaround. I don't understand why the concept of good customer service is lost on some people. I think it's the most important aspect of building a customer base. I'll pay slightly higher prices if I have to, just to go to a shop with good customer relations. Luckily, we have The Path here in OC. They have excellent prices AND their service is awesome. Tani and his crew ROCK! I also like Adrenaline Bikes' service. Every time I've been there they've taken time to fix my problem on the spot. They're the ones with that annoying full page ad in MBA that you can hardly even read. Anyway, you deserve some sort of retribution out of this fiasco.

mtbr member

if I were you...

Kick their balls!
    Last edited by ernesto_from_Wisconsin; 02-06-2007 at 06:14 PM.

Bikes not Bombs.....

The Path is my LBS.... 400 miles away...

"Luckily, we have The Path here in OC. They have excellent prices AND their service is awesome. Tani and his crew ROCK! "

I ordered a couple of ...well ... lets call them higher end bikes form the Path. The local yokels up here in the SF bay area had their chance at my business, but their customer service leaves one hanging. So, one phone call and Tani said they would do what it took to make sure my bike needs were handled.

Hats off to the Path and your LBS's that have not forgotten who the customer is...

JS
    [SIZE=2]Thanks to all of you for your friendships on this board..... [/SIZE] -

USB Rep'n
    Quote Originally Posted by P-Funk
    You should at least ask for a deal on the parts that you ordered. I think a 15% discount on parts, or a year of free maintenance, or something is in order. There's no excuse for that kind of runaround. I don't understand why the concept of good customer service is lost on some people. I think it's the most important aspect of building a customer base. I'll pay slightly higher prices if I have to, just to go to a shop with good customer relations. Luckily, we have The Path here in OC. They have excellent prices AND their service is awesome. Tani and his crew ROCK! I also like Adrenaline Bikes' service. Every time I've been there they've taken time to fix my problem on the spot. They're the ones with that annoying full page ad in MBA that you can hardly even read. Anyway, you deserve some sort of retribution out of this fiasco.
    the Path sounds awesome! Seems like everyone who has used them feel sthat way which says a lot. It really seems like we (as consumers) have simply accepted a lower standard for this industry and Im not sure why. Sometimes it really becomes self perpetuating. Anyway, he did give me 15% off on parts and is selling me he frame for $400 so retribution has been taken care of.

One thing I did learn was that if I want a new frame in the future, only buy what's sitting on a shelf. If I ever hear the word "order" again, Im running out of there like Forrest Gump.

Thanks again P-Funk. You too Jerry and Ernesto.....where would I ever be without your sage advice?? Thanks guys, y'all rock!

eh-nay Ityopia!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Talk is cheap

Don't teach the new LBS owner that all he has to do in the future is to sweettalk his way out of a cancelled order. You will be sending him exactly the wrong message: he'll learn that, despite screwing with you big time, he can still get your hard-earned dough. He needs to know (in his pocketbook) that he crossed way over the line. Otherwise, he'll just turn around and do the same to the next person through the door. He may be new, but you're teaching him the wrong thing by letting him keep your money.

Get your money back and go elsewhere.

good luck...

all hail der Fuhrer Bush
    Mar 2004

you got your answer

cancel the order at the LBS and order today
    what good is a friendship where lies are involved anyway?

There ya go, that's what I'd do