Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    The Hutch

Nashbar Single Speed 29er Mountain Bike

Just wanted to know if anyone has had any experiences on one of these Bikes?
    I couldn't find any reviews...

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/ProductDisplay?storeId=10053&langId=-1&catalogId=10052&productId=502354&cm_mmc=$%28refe rrer%29$-_-Bicycles-_-Nashbar-_-NB-SSMBD-19&CSE=GooglePS&mr:trackingCode=80CBFC0F-F9E1-DE11-974B-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA

Thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    nice bike for the money, but heavy. I bought one of the old style (with clincher brakes instead of the disc) as a backup bike to ride after I got hit by a truck on my gary fisher rig.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Good bike for the $ my friend rides one I like it. If I wasnt building a SS out of a never used Nashbar frame I had I would have got the new one with discs..... Buy it and you will have fun with it!

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    i looked at it a while ago and it has changed , my only fear is aluminum........ and Orca whales
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I have one and I love it. The aluminum is however, quite rigid. I swapped out some parts and it's very light now by my standards.

mtbr member
    Love mine since I bought it and it's been amazing, and also gone through lots of changes

It is the same as. 2008 se stout 29er
    SS Rigid =
    Quote Originally Posted by gjenkins@
    There is no distraction. You only hear the sound of your breath and the crunch of the wheels across the dirt.

mtbr member
    SS Rigid =
    There is no distraction. You only hear the sound of your breath and the crunch of the wheels across the dirt.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    after alot of BS I am buying one. Will let you know how the new 2010 model is in about a week.....

mtbr member
    Should be the same as these if it's the aluminum one
    SS Rigid =

LET'S GO RIDE BIKES!
    They have the frames on sale for $99 right now. I was thinking of getting one and just stashing it until I'm ready to build a 29er. I don't mind the aluminum so much.

ooops....
    Make that Performance has the frames on sale right now.
    http://www.performancebike.com/bikes...7_20000_400314
    Robb
    Specialized Rockhopper Comp
    Canondale Synapse w/DuraAce goodness

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ctaggart
    I have one and I love it. The aluminum is however, quite rigid. I swapped out some parts and it's very light now by my standards.

Open cam skewers without any chain tug on the drive side on track ends? Also your front brake cable/housing looks a bit long.

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    Quote Originally Posted by robbyracer
    They have the frames on sale for $99 right now. I was thinking of getting one and just stashing it until I'm ready to build a 29er. I don't mind the aluminum so much.

ooops....
    Make that Performance has the frames on sale right now.
    http://www.performancebike.com/bikes...7_20000_400314
    that frame has been on sale for quite a while, beginning to think its just the regular price

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Seems to be the Nasbar way, everything is "on sale" for that same price for a long time. I just put a order in for the 29r. on sale for $399.99 org $599.99 well its been $399.99 for a year!

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    Quote Originally Posted by PoorBob
    Seems to be the Nasbar way, everything is "on sale" for that same price for a long time. I just put a order in for the 29r. on sale for $399.99 org $599.99 well its been $399.99 for a year!
    not really, its on sale for a bit then it changes. the access frame has been on sale for a lot longer

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    On sale now for $349.00

Crap I just picke it up last week for $399.00

Thats $50 for upgrades......

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Does it come with a Rear D Hanger...? Are the stock hubs able to accept a 9 speed cassette like the Stout...?...? If so, I am gonna get one tomorrow.......

mtbr member
    It's the same exactthing as an 08 stout. Yes they can take a cassette and I think the latest ones on nashbar come with discs which I suppose is an upgrade from when I bought mine
    SS Rigid =

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Going to call tomorrow and ask Nashbar to verify. Want to be sure. Not sure how I will dig the single speed thing and that is the reason I am probably not buying a 2010 Rockhopper SL SS(Brand new, I already saw/rode it) from this guy on Craigslist...he is selling for $500. It is a single speed for life...awesome bike and I am a Specialized guy. Just don't like the feeling of not having the option if I so choose.

If they say it is 9spd compatibile I will orbably order one tomorrow....it is $350 and they are having an extra 15% of today and tomorrow. $336 to the front door. Been over and over this , the RHopper, and all the deals on Jenson and BDirect....ready to make a move on something.

Any advice...?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Dawes Dead Eye. Cheaper and steel (Cro-Mo) frame/fork.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Dawes was my first choice. Not so much anymore. Not too confident in it with all the ?'s about allignment problems and such. Nice bike but for $16 more dollars....probably get the Nashbar and strip the paint if its hideous.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    My Nashbar just came in, 25min and i was on the road. It has mounts for changing it to a multi speed. The bike works great, disc breaks work with no issues (unlike the deadeye). Now i need to get into shape!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HalFliP
    Dawes was my first choice. Not so much anymore. Not too confident in it with all the ?'s about allignment problems and such. Nice bike but for $16 more dollars....probably get the Nashbar and strip the paint if its hideous.
    the paint wasn't hideous at all but when the person you rise with has the exact same bike minus a few mods, you kinda want something different
    SS Rigid =

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Opted out for the 2010 Rockhopper I was looking at. Better choice in the long run....$500. Can't beat it...the guy wants out of it. Either way...it will be a great second bike...! Pics later tonite....leaving in 15 min to go grab it.

mtbr member
    No offense Man but I can't see where a rockhopper is a better choice in the long run. I am not just saying this because I have this bike. Everything on a rochopper is entry level, right on par with this bike. This is a 2008 se racing stout frame painted a weird color. So what makes it better? The name?
    I see u have a pitch so that would make sense. Also good luck on ur first 29er I went from 26 ht to 26 Fs to 29er rigid and never road the others again

Just sayin
    SS Rigid =

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    got to spend the money on what will make you happy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    No offense Man but I can't see where a rockhopper is a better choice in the long run. I am not just saying this because I have this bike. Everything on a rochopper is entry level, right on par with this bike. This is a 2008 se racing stout frame painted a weird color. So what makes it better? The name?
    I see u have a pitch so that would make sense. Also good luck on ur first 29er I went from 26 ht to 26 Fs to 29er rigid and never road the others again

Just sayin
    ...No offense taken, no offense intended. My comment as to "a better choice in the long run" has only to do with me....not anything to do with the quality or value of Nash9er. Yes, I like what Specialized does and I do ride a PitchPro as my main bike....but I was, considering the Nash, as well as, The Stout, Dawes, Cliff, etc, etc., so, the "name" has nothing to do with it.

I looked at this(never seen dirt) 2010 RHopper SL SS about 2 weeks ago off Craigslist. Listed at $900 and the guy told me his price was $700. I passed after deciding that I was unsure of 1) 29ers in general and 2)Single speed only, as this frame is a single speed frame only. So, I started looking at the aforementioned bikes because of the pricepoint and 9 spd. compatiblity. After much research and thought, I was ready to drop the hammer today on the Nash since it was selling for $279 today.

Knowing myself, I already had about spent in my head an additional $100 or so for hydro discs, $75 on clipless, and figured in the cost of a 9 spd drivetrain, in case. By the time it would have been said and done, I would have easily dropped the $500 I spent on the RHopper today upgrading . End of story.

Bearings, headsets, hubs, and the important pieces are not cheap. I have read about misalligned disc mounts, chipping paint, out of round rims, out of dish rims, banged up chainrings, leaking forks, cracked frames.....you name it, when it comes to the bargain stuff. Nashbar may or may not be good about warranties or customer service. I don't know and I guess I won't find out.

I coulda spent $318 to have the Nash shipped to my door. This would be a bike I had only read good or bad or "whatever" about, never having had the chance to see in person, stand over, let alone ride it....then spent $xxx.xx upgrading said bike...ie: hydros discs, 9 spd, etc, etc.and hope that Nash will stand behind their merch. in the event of a problem.

It boils down to this. I realized that, I found a great deal on a good quality SS that can't be geared later. I like the tech built into the Eccentric BB to tension the chain and the warranty that I KNOW Specialized WILL stand behind. If something happens to that frame , it will take a 15 min phonecall by my SpecDealer to have a replacement on the way to me. I have seen it happen( with 6 yr old frames) with my own eyes.

People knock big companies for being too commercial. People knock "NoName" stuff for being cheap or unreliable. I was not knocking the Nash, I almost bought it. Hopefully, you made the right decision for you. "In the long run", I know I did. For $500, the Hopper will stay in my stable as a SS and just be another choice for me when I go for a ride.

To each their own, right PoorBob...?

mtbr member
    Sounds good u picked the right one. Post some pics in the spec forum
    SS Rigid =

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I actually tried.....no luck for some reason. I will get one up. BTW, Had I gotten the Nash, it would have ended up raw like yours...always loved that look. May still grab one for my wife if they go on 20% again.

Happy Trails.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    To each their own, very true. Best of luck to your purchase.

No quit hijacking the dang Nashbar thread lol......

Im starting the Nashbar Rebel Bicycle club.....

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I just pulled the trigger on one myself with the extra 20% off it was $280- that's a steal! can't wait to get it, be my first 29er and SS.
    I chose to go SS after riding a friends Specialized 29er Rockhopper SS- he got it cheap too off Craigslist $550- it's nice and light, I like it a lot. Hope this Nash is close in quality to it.

mtbr member
    Good deal J. My cousin got same deal last year before they offered the discs. Then again I don't know how good those discs are anyway
    SS Rigid =

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    The discs seem to be good, granted it took me a while to get the front adjusted but again thats the one I had to put on. The rear disc right out of the box was perfect.

mtbr member
    Nice, my bike as u see it above with paint stripped ishiw I built it up, the only thing stock is spokes, rims and headset. Oh yeah the rear brake cable, that's stock lol
    SS Rigid =

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Been reading your posts and decided to do it too at the $280 price. Never caught it if you said . . . how did the 15" fit as far as standover, reach and seatpost length with stock seatpost? I am 5'8" with ~29" inseam and hoping that the 15" will fit me. My first 29er and SS and am looking forward to my first ride.

mtbr member
    The 15" fits awesome, it is just right except the stock seatpost is wicked short. I had to get a 350mm long one I think and my cousin has a 400mm on his
    SS Rigid =

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Hmmm 5'8'' and a 15", well I dont have much knowledge with that but im 5'10'' and the 17" seems to be just right on the stand over height.

mtbr member
    I am 5'9" bob with a 15 and i went with reach measurement not standover...
    SS Rigid =

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    You guys that are paying $280 can eat my bottom bracket.... I just paid $399 two weeks ago, I did call Nashbar and the gave me $50 off which is the current list price. As for the %20 off well Im just going to have to live with that....

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    You guys that are paying $280 can eat my bottom bracket.... I just paid $399 two weeks ago, I did call Nashbar and the gave me $50 off which is the current list price. As for the %20 off well Im just going to have to live with that....
    don't be mad, be glad that others are able to ride such a great bike.

on size- I'm around 5'9" and my friends Rockhopper is a 19", so I got a 19" for the Nash. My 26" FS bike has a 18" frame and I like the stretched out feeling of the 19" Rockhopper 29er. I'd rather have more room then be cramped. To each his/her own though.

mtbr member
    19" is huge man, it will deffinately make for an interesting ride.
    SS Rigid =

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    How are the biks guys?

Work has kept me away from my nash way too much lately, but I still like it. Just got a set of Salsa Skews for it and looking to change out the chain ring, its a bit too low for me putting around town.

mtbr member
    How are the biks guys?

Work has kept me away from my nash way too much lately, but I still like it. Just got a set of Salsa Skews for it and looking to change out the chain ring, its a bit too low for me putting around town.
    lucky you I had to re-lace my heels just to have a quickrelease front
    SS Rigid =

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    How are the Nashbar 29rs going for everybody.

i have put some miles on my bike so far this summer and love it! Great bike so far for the price. I doubt Ill do anything to it this summer since i just want to ride, but i plan to upgrade over winter.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

25% discount

you guys want to really s**t?
    heres a 25% off code for nashbar, good for a couple more days i think:
    FRAMILY
    has a few restrictions but it does work on the ss 29er (other bikes & stuff too)
    $262.50 + s&h...such a deal

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Yes I am going to S*@T I paid $399

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by markaitch
    you guys want to really s**t?
    heres a 25% off code for nashbar, good for a couple more days i think:
    FRAMILY
    has a few restrictions but it does work on the ss 29er (other bikes & stuff too)
    $262.50 + s&h...such a deal
    You da man!!!

FYI, this works on the Nashbar GT Peace SS 29er also... advertised at $549, this code goves an additional $137 off, so the bike is yours at $412.49 - not bad.

Which one to get? At these prices, I can't not get one.

PS to say, I'm leaning towards the Nashbar - the GT doesn't seem to get you much higher spec'ed parts over the Nashbar no-name model. And at $262, I can upgrade some stuff right way - probably the brakes.

mtbr member
    Anyone have any tips on size or standover height on the Nashbar? I am 6'2", 34" inseam - so 19" or 21"?

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by PoisonDartFrog
    Anyone have any tips on size or standover height on the Nashbar? I am 6'2", 34" inseam - so 19" or 21"?
    I cant speak for the nashbar, but i'm 6'1" with a 34" inseam, and i've broken 3 different large (19-20") frames, all at the seat tube/top tube weld, and yes, i had enough post in the frame. I have an xl (21") frame i picked up to try out and it fits me MUCH better overall than the large ever did. Less post sticking out, so less stress on the frame in that area.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding
    I cant speak for the nashbar, but i'm 6'1" with a 34" inseam, and i've broken 3 different large (19-20") frames, all at the seat tube/top tube weld, and yes, i had enough post in the frame. I have an xl (21") frame i picked up to try out and it fits me MUCH better overall than the large ever did. Less post sticking out, so less stress on the frame in that area.
    Yeah, I hear ya - I have an old 18" 26er HT that's a bit too small for me, so I was thinking the 19" might not be enough. Thanks for the input.

PS - ordered mine today - $326.36 with sales tax and shipping. Went with the 21"
    Last edited by PoisonDartFrog; 07-12-2010 at 05:36 PM.

mtbr member
    I'm 5'9 and usually ride a medium frame. Would the 17 inch be the right pick for me?
    Build.
    Ride.
    Repeat.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I bought mine tonight at 11:30 pm (the code FRAMILY expired at midnight). I was going to wait for the next discount but I couldn't pass up 25% off. Hopefully, it will be worth the money.

mtbr member
    I bought one earlier this week - FedEx tells me it should be delivered today.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Did you get 2-day delivery? Or was basic that fast?

mtbr member
    I selected Standard Shipping, 7-10days - charged me $38.99 for oversized delivery.

It might take longer by a day or so if you don't live near a major metro/distribution hub. I live in the Dallas area, so things generally arrive pretty quickly:

Last edited by PoisonDartFrog; 07-15-2010 at 08:36 AM.

mtbr member
    Ordered mine tuesday around 10 PM Eastern, and mine is coming on friday.
    Build.
    Ride.
    Repeat.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Im starting the Nashbar Rebel Bicycle club.....
    It looks like several people on MTBR are buying this bike - so we could start one.

mtbr member
    BTW the Nashbar SS is also being discussed in the 29er forum:

Cheapo 29er Comparison-- Nashbar SS 29er $301 vs. Dawes DeadEye SS 29er $319

I want to get a custom decal for the frame: "El Cheapo" (or maybe "El Borracho"...)

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I was looking up decals too. I found NASA stickers and rock band stickers on eBay... but I think I am going to strip the paint like ricot83 and go with a DeLorean look... maybe get a DMC sticker.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Glad to see we got a few more "Team Nashbar" members!

mtbr member
    Mine arrived yesterday - unboxed it and put it on the stand for assembly - an awesome deal at $262...

Plus, the frame color is a lot more gold than it appears in the pics on here and the Nashbar site. On my PC screen they look tan.

PS: Plan on buying new grips and pedals right away. Also, the seat collar on mine is metal. I think someone else posted that theirs was plastic and broke. I'll probably go tubeless as soon as possible, too.
    Last edited by PoisonDartFrog; 07-16-2010 at 03:58 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I received mine today. It took me a while to put it together (my first build). At one point I realized that I had the fork backward and the handle bar upside down.

I was worried about the tires because they were all wrinkled and wobbled when I turned the wheel - but filling the tires with air fixed that...

Anyway, it has a very nice ride. I rode around my neighborhood and rode through some yards . The SS will take some getting used to but I felt that it was a good compromise to handle various terrain. My calves were burning when I went up a hill... but I am sure that will go away as I get use to it.

mtbr member
    The Tektro IO brakes are little tricky to get adjusted nicely - much more so than hydraulics. Be sure to read and understand the directions for installing and adjusting. Even now that I am fairly happy with their adjustment, the rear still rubs ever so slightly at one point in the revolution, and they definitely lack the stopping power of the Avid Juicy 5's on my 26er.

I hoping that this improves as the disc and pads break in. If not, I may opt for BB7s. Time will tell.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    did you true your wheels before installing?
    if it is just 1 spot rubbing, the wheel is a likely culprit rather than brake adjustment.

just got my se stout (a cuzin to your nashbars) & after building it that is my 1 complaint - the wheels & spokes came in awful shape, took a fair amount of work to get them close to straight & true & i will still prolly have to get a pro onto it soon. thats a downside to a mail-order bike.

btw... my bike was $275.95 to the door! nyah...nayh...nyah!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    just got my se stout ....my bike was $275.95 to the door!
    On one hand I was bummed that I missed that deal before it expired, on the other hand, that gold color is horrendous, and I would have had to factor in $ to have it repainted (or do it myself) anyway.

Of all the color options in the world.......what where they thinking?!

But color aside, that's definitely a hard deal to beat!

mtbr member
    did you true your wheels before installing?
    if it is just 1 spot rubbing, the wheel is a likely culprit rather than brake adjustment.

That's true for clinchers, but not for discs.

Wait a sec - are you saying that your Stout didn't come with discs??

In any case, my wheels came out of the box true. We'll see if they stay that way.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Mine were true too... well worth the increase in cost over the stout.

I am loving the bike - SS and all. My only complaint is that my butt hurts. I need a granny seat or something...

Also, does anyone know the gear ratio for the Nashbar 29er? How can I tell? I have been reading that 2:1 is a good ratio. All I could find on Nashbar's site was 32 teeth to 18 teeth - is that the ratio? If so, should I change the ratio?

Sorry to ask a dumb q.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnymowmow
    Mine were true too... well worth the increase in cost over the stout.

I am loving the bike - SS and all. My only complaint is that my butt hurts. I need a granny seat or something...
    No you don't you just need to ride more. Nothing is going to keep you from being saddle sore other than just getting used to it. A big sofa saddle will prolong the situation, and it makes it hard to move around on the bike because it's so big. Suck it up - it only lasts a few days or so.

Also, does anyone know the gear ratio for the Nashbar 29er? How can I tell? I have been reading that 2:1 is a good ratio. All I could find on Nashbar's site was 32 teeth to 18 teeth - is that the ratio? If so, should I change the ratio?
    32/18 is almost exactly 2:1 already. I'd ride it like it is unless you are in a very hilly area, then MAYBE consider 20T on the rear. Given how new you are, I'd ride it like it is for a while until you figure out what you need. Don't go easter-egging and changing stuff for no reason.

MY FIRST IMPRESSIONS

Gave mine it's first shake-down ride today on a 4-mile out and back gravel hike/bike trail near my house. Rear brake still isn't all I'd like it to be, but my front is dialled in nicely. 21" frame fits me well; I am in the 6'3" range.

Going to get some Ergon grips today from REI - the stock ones SUCK. I am not too fond of the lucite bash ring either, but that can wait - it's just a cosmetic gripe. Not too sure about the tires so far either - I took some tight turns at speed and the front felt like it was washing out a bit. But, they are brand new, so I'll let them break in first to see if they improve. I was running pretty high pressure too - might need to air them down a bit.

Overall, I like it - a completely different ride than my FS geared 26er, which has an 18" frame (too small for me, I know...) but I can throw it around and rail it like a BMX bike on tight trails.

Tommorow or maybe Tues morning I'll take it out on a local MTB trail and see how I do on it with a little technical stuff.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Great. Any photos yet?

mtbr member
    It looks exactly like the pic on the Nashbar site.

Rode it ~6 miles this morning - semi-technical trail. Took some getting used to, but the brakes seem to be working better and better as they break in, and I found myself actually climbing some twisty technical sessions over rocks and roots a bit easier than on my geared 26er. I was surprised.

I also intuitively caught myself braking less to maintain momentum. I think I am getting a glimpse into what people mean about 29ers and how SS makes you a better rider.

I do miss my suspension fork in places tho, but not enough to be discouraging.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I'll post pics tonight after work.

- Thanks for the info and advice PoisonDartFrog!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    looking for any coupon codes to get the price down right now it would be like 424

mtbr member
    No you don't you just need to ride more. Nothing is going to keep you from being saddle sore other than just getting used to it. A big sofa saddle will prolong the situation, and it makes it hard to move around on the bike because it's so big. Suck it up - it only lasts a few days or so.

32/18 is almost exactly 2:1 already. I'd ride it like it is unless you are in a very hilly area, then MAYBE consider 20T on the rear. Given how new you are, I'd ride it like it is for a while until you figure out what you need. Don't go easter-egging and changing stuff for no reason.

MY FIRST IMPRESSIONS

Gave mine it's first shake-down ride today on a 4-mile out and back gravel hike/bike trail near my house. Rear brake still isn't all I'd like it to be, but my front is dialled in nicely. 21" frame fits me well; I am in the 6'3" range.

Going to get some Ergon grips today from REI - the stock ones SUCK. I am not too fond of the lucite bash ring either, but that can wait - it's just a cosmetic gripe. Not too sure about the tires so far either - I took some tight turns at speed and the front felt like it was washing out a bit. But, they are brand new, so I'll let them break in first to see if they improve. I was running pretty high pressure too - might need to air them down a bit.

Overall, I like it - a completely different ride than my FS geared 26er, which has an 18" frame (too small for me, I know...) but I can throw it around and rail it like a BMX bike on tight trails.

Tommorow or maybe Tues morning I'll take it out on a local MTB trail and see how I do on it with a little technical stuff.
    FWIW 32/18 is not 2 to 1. 32/16 is (16x2=32)

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    mitzikatzi, dude...r u serious?
    32/18 may not be exactly 2/1, but it is pretty damn close...
    are you such an expert rider that you notice the slight difference?

kmbgolf, you missed nashbars cheapo deal on their ss 29er last week...who knows when it will be back?
    can you ride a 15" frame on a 29er? if so, go to jenson & buy the se stout there for $280+s&h
    otherwise???
    good luck...

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I didn't know the images had to be hosted off site... I will post pics in a few days.

kmbgolf - join the email list. Another discount will happen soon. They had a 20% a week or so before the 25% came out. Right now they have a 15% off...

As for ratio - duh... the number of teeth makes sense. I thought that it was more complicated like wheel size and chain length where involved.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by kmbgolf
    looking for any coupon codes to get the price down right now it would be like 424

Just Google "Nashbar coupon codes" and you can find whatever the current code is.
    Right now it's "JULYMAS" for 15% off your online purchase over $50. Good 'til the 24th.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    im 5'9 maybe 5'10 would it be to small?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mitzikatzi
    FWIW 32/18 is not 2 to 1. 32/16 is (16x2=32)
    I wrote:

"32/18 is >>>almost<<< exactly 2:1 already."

the key word being.... well, you get it.

And FYI, the 2:1 ratio is just a rule-of-thumb. If you consult SB's Gain Ratio calculator, for a 29" wheel, you'd see that 32/18 yields a ratio of 3.7 while 32/16 yields 4.2, assuming 175mm cranks, a 13.51% difference normalized using the 3.7 value as the baseline, for a 12.5% increase in the number of teeth. Or in gear-inches, 51.6 versus 58 respectively; which fails to capture the effects of crank length, of course.
    Last edited by PoisonDartFrog; 07-19-2010 at 07:58 PM.

mtbr member
    I wrote:

"32/18 is >>>almost<<< exactly 2:1 already."

the key word being.... well, you get it.

And FYI, the 2:1 ratio is just a rule-of-thumb. If you consult SB's Gain Ratio calculator, for a 29" wheel, you'd see that 32/18 yields a ratio of 3.7 while 32/16 yields 4.2, assuming 175mm cranks, a 13.51% difference normalized using the 3.7 value as the baseline, for a 12.5% increase in the number of teeth. Or in gear-inches, 51.6 versus 58 respectively; which fails to capture the effects of crank length, of course.
    Sorry I see the almost bit now.
    I am not sure how strong a rider you are but I can tell the difference when climbing. Me I have 32/20 on my 29er.

Nice description of the differences BTW. I guess the best way to know what works for you is "by the seat of the pants feel" Rde both ratios and see for yourself.

mtbr member
    mitzikatzi, dude...r u serious?
    32/18 may not be exactly 2/1, but it is pretty damn close...
    are you such an expert rider that you notice the slight difference?

kmbgolf, you missed nashbars cheapo deal on their ss 29er last week...who knows when it will be back?
    can you ride a 15" frame on a 29er? if so, go to jenson & buy the se stout there for $280+s&h
    otherwise???
    good luck...
    No. No where near being an expert but yes I can tell the difference between 16 and 18 teeth on the rear cog. I suspect many other riders can too

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Got mine a few days ago... With the coupon code, it's the most bang for your buck bike I've ever heard of.

Took it for its first ride earlier today.
    The IO brakes are workable but certainly not very good. They took a while to set up properly and provide decent enough braking performance for now. The jagwire cables on the bike are very nice though.
    The crank is very very nice - stiff and smooth. Not the kind of crank you would expect on such a cheap bike.

Also, check ALL bolts and reinstall the crank before you ride it much. Nashbar did pretty sloppy work putting these bikes together. Many bolts were barely screwed in, the bb cups were loose, and the outer crank bolt on the side was very loose.
    A friend of mine bought this bike as well, and had the same problems,including the wheel set going out of true and developing hop. Hopefully they're just breaking in and after a bit of truing won't get any worse.

Once everything is properly installed, the bike is very nice. The biggest compromise on this bike seems to be the wheel set, otherwise it's a very well thought out ss 29er for the price.
    Last edited by wyrda; 07-20-2010 at 09:07 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    heres a new nashbar 25% off code:
    NBARLUV
    good til sumtime next week
    unfortunately they still have your ss 29er up @ $450

mtbr member
    Who uses the chain tug/dérailleur thingy that came with the bike, and who just bolts it to the frame?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Who uses the chain tug/dérailleur thingy that came with the bike, and who just bolts it to the frame?
    I haven't used a chain tug before, but this one works surprisingly well.
    I use it, it's a lot easier than adjusting the chain manually.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wyrda
    I haven't used a chain tug before, but this one works surprisingly well.
    I use it, it's a lot easier than adjusting the chain manually.
    Yeah, originally I just threw it in my parts drawer, but I put it on today, and thought "huh, that was easier, you dummy"

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    What are you talking about? I had some extra parts but don't know what you are talking about. Thanks! How do you use it?

mtbr member
    What are you talking about? I had some extra parts but don't know what you are talking about. Thanks! How do you use it?
    Its black and looks like a derailleur hanger, with a hole thru the middle and a nut and bolt on the back side.

I had a lot of extra parts too - mostly reflectors and crap like that. I canned them.

mtbr member
    May 2010

Nashbar 29er coupon

If anyone wants to get a good deal use coupon code NBARLUV for 25% off the SS 29er on the Nashbar website. I paid $400 on Craigslist for this bike with upgraded XT hydraulic brakes. I use it for a commuter/ backup trail bike when i have my Trance X1 in pieces for upgrades. It's a decent bike, not too heavy (about 27.5 lbs). Good SS for training and strengthening the legs so you can rip on a geared MTB.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Any of you guys that are looking for a 29er will like this bike...I am not sure how riding an aluminum version will be but I got the 09 SE Stout and I love it....and if you don't happen to know...the Stout/Nashbar frame is VERY close to the geometry of the EVER POPULAR Redline Monocog frame. So enjoy your new ride...you won't regret it. Just ride it!

mtbr member
    I took my Nashbar SS 29er bike on vacation and have ridden it 4x on singletrack of varying difficulties in Western Michigan. I really like it and would recommend it to anyone who is looking for a decent, inexpensive SS.

I will be replacing the Tektro IO brakes with Avid BB7s. The Tektros are "okay" at best, and constitute the weakest link component-wise on this bike, in my opinion. I have had a really hard time keeping them adjusted properly, especially the rear brake (the front is much better, for whatever reason). I have to fiddle with it every other ride or so to get the braking I want without having a pad dragging. I have the caliper set inboard as far as it goes, with the inner pad backed almost all the way out, and I still get a small bit of drag on the inner pad. Mostly, I am just getting tired of having to mess with it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I took mine out on a local trail three times over the weekend. I love it. The only hiccup I had was a flat tire.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    All this talk and no photos?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Yeah...that is a good point...the Tek Tro brakes are only ok. any disc set up would be better...

I took my Nashbar SS 29er bike on vacation and have ridden it 4x on singletrack of varying difficulties in Western Michigan. I really like it and would recommend it to anyone who is looking for a decent, inexpensive SS.

I will be replacing the Tektro IO brakes with Avid BB7s. The Tektros are "okay" at best, and constitute the weakest link component-wise on this bike, in my opinion. I have had a really hard time keeping them adjusted properly, especially the rear brake (the front is much better, for whatever reason). I have to fiddle with it every other ride or so to get the braking I want without having a pad dragging. I have the caliper set inboard as far as it goes, with the inner pad backed almost all the way out, and I still get a small bit of drag on the inner pad. Mostly, I am just getting tired of having to mess with it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Pics coming soon.
    Last edited by johnnymowmow; 08-01-2010 at 04:52 PM.

mtbr member
    What type of headset does this bike use? I can't seem to find that info anywhere.

PS - that is, internal or integrated?
    Last edited by PoisonDartFrog; 08-09-2010 at 02:34 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    i do not know if it is a fact, but i have often heard that the nashbar ss 29er is actually a debadged '08 alu frame se racing stout.
    here is the description of the headset on that bike, taken from specs on se's site:

VP 1-1/8” Threadless,
    Semi -Cartridge Sealed,
    Press Fit Integrated

good luck!

mtbr member
    i do not know if it is a fact, but i have often heard that the nashbar ss 29er is actually a debadged '08 alu frame se racing stout.
    here is the description of the headset on that bike, taken from specs on se's site:

VP 1-1/8” Threadless,
    Semi -Cartridge Sealed,
    Press Fit Integrated

good luck!
    If that is the case, then my guess would be that it is of the semi-integrated/zero-stack variety

http://www.canecreek.com/tech-determining-standards

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    !
    It also looks just like the Windsor Cliff 29.1 from BD.

mtbr member
    Yep, it sure does... and according to the BD website, it uses a semi-integrated headset:

Cane Creek ZeroStack, V.P. A-42E 1.125" Internal cups, 30mm spacers

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    you guys have really peaked my interest in this bike. i come from a lot of bad experience with gears on walmart bikes, so most of my past bikes end up being ss just because i cant stand trying to shift them lol. do you think this frame can stand up to a 350lb guy? i hate being this fat and need to get riding again to hopefully get back to a healthy weight.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    hellrasore,

I'm 260 - I was also worried about my weight too but I haven't had any problems with the frame or bike in general. Also, given our size we aren't as likely to be able to do extreme riding. If you stick to trail riding I think the bike will be fine.

You could also call Nashbar and see if they have determined a weight limit.

I hope you get one and start riding! I haven't lost much weight from riding but I feel much better. Plus SS really kicks your butt.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast