mtbr member

Nashbar 650b "Bees Knees" Single Speed Bike

Hey kids, be the first on your block to sport the new Nashbar 650b Single Speed, priced now @$499:
    Nashbar Bee's Knees Single Speed 650b Mountain Bike - Mountain Bikes

Link to a pic; didn't inline it because it's huge:
    http://media.nashbar.com/images/nash...0-NCL-SIDE.jpg

CrMo fork AND frame... interesting rear brake cable routing... I initially thought it might be an OEM Jamis Dragon 650b frame, but afer looking closer I am not so sure. Overall looks like a pretty solid spec for the price, esp if you can actually catch it on sale. Not crazy about the square taper crankset and BB, and 38x16 might be a little too mashy for a lot of folks.

Nashbar Bee's Knees Single Speed 650b Mountain Bike Specs:
    FRAME: 650b Chromoly, standard 1 1/8" head tube, trail tuned chain and seat stays, replaceable rear derailleur hanger, disc tabs and water bottle mounts
    FORK: 650b Cromoly, disc tabs, standard 1 1/8" steerer
    REAR SHOCK: None
    HEADSET: FSA Hammer, 1 1/8"
    CRANKSET: Alloy square taper 104mm bcd with 38t ring
    BOTTOM BRACKET: Square Taper
    LEVERS: Avid BB5
    HANDLEBAR: 6061 Oversized Riser Bar, 620mm width, 25mm rise, 5 degree sweep
    STEM: Alloy, 7 degree rise, 90mm
    CASSETTE: 16T
    BRAKES: Avid BB5 mechanical
    WHEELSET: Alex 650b XD-Lite, 6-bolt IS disc
    TIRES: Kenda Nevegal, K-1010, 27.5x2.1 (650b)
    PEDALS: None
    SEATPOST: Alloy, 27.2x350mm
    SADDLE: Mountain
    CHAIN: KMC Z410
    GRIPS/TAPE: Kraton Black
    Last edited by PoisonDartFrog; 01-12-2013 at 09:26 AM.
    Mind your own religion.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    That bike is suppose to retail at $1000. Are you kidding me?

mtbr member
    38x16 is beastly. Should've named it busted knees.
    Ride Bikes
    Drink Beer

mtbr member
    Already a thread on this bike

20% off at Nashbar
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

mtbr member
    This one is better. It has the name of the bike in the thread title. That one just says something about 20% off.

And if you pull that netcopping BS again I'll start a third thread on it.
    Last edited by PoisonDartFrog; 01-12-2013 at 06:44 PM.
    Mind your own religion.

nothing to see here
    Mmmmm.....spam.....yummy
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Yeah plugging this into Sheldon Brown's gear inch ratio calc (which takes wheel size and crank length into account) for comparison (assuming 175mm crank arms for both):

29er with 32x18 is 3.7
    650b with 38x16 is 4.5

Higher top end, but it's 22% harder to pedal. Might want to plan for an extra $100 for a new chainring and cog if you have any hills at all.

I'm not crazy about the square taper BB either.

Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Gear Calculator
    Mind your own religion.

Stock, but with upgrades.
    Hey guys. I have one...I got it for $518 shipped on black friday. I immediately picked up a 32T raceface chainring.

I did ride it a couple times with the 38x16 to test my manliness...it ate my lunch for most of the trail that I frequent. Switched to the 32T and I really enjoy it.
    Nashbar 650b SS; Cannondale F29; Kona Kikapu Deluxe Diamondback Overdrive Sport 29er; BMX Viper; Pansonic DX-1000

20% off at Nashbar

I failed to mention that this is my first SS bike other than the old DB Viper "black chrome" I have hanging in my garage.

My main complaint: BB5's are kinda tough for me. I think I need an upgrade.
    Nashbar 650b SS; Cannondale F29; Kona Kikapu Deluxe Diamondback Overdrive Sport 29er; BMX Viper; Pansonic DX-1000

mtbr member
    Deleted, though I was in a diff forum

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Hello,

Its been a little while since you have posted. Are you still enjoying your bees knees 650b? Have you modified the gearing at all? some people appear to have went to 32/20 for this bike. I'm really close to buying this but still wondering if you are happy with your purchase?. To bad there is not a youtube video or two for this bike already out there.

-Stebe

mtbr member
    I'm looking at the BD Gravity 27five as an option for a 650b ss. Seen no reviews, nearly as quiet as the Bees knees. Wonder if its lighter than the Bee due to alloy frame and the steel one having such thick diameter tubing.

Hmm, still a cheap way to get some 650 components as a kickaround bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by theNomad View Post
    I'm looking at the BD Gravity 27five as an option for a 650b ss. Seen no reviews, nearly as quiet as the Bees knees. Wonder if its lighter than the Bee due to alloy frame and the steel one having such thick diameter tubing.

Hmm, still a cheap way to get some 650 components as a kickaround bike.
    I was attracted to the bees knees because of the steel frame. This would be a good winter bike. Also allows me to see if I enjoy singling a mtb enough to spend more money on a higher end steel frame from S**ly.

Planning on dropping down the chain ring to a 32 then swapping out rear cogs for different situations.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Gearing

Quote Originally Posted by SCkikapuD View Post
    Hey guys. I have one...I got it for $518 shipped on black friday. I immediately picked up a 32T raceface chainring.

I did ride it a couple times with the 38x16 to test my manliness...it ate my lunch for most of the trail that I frequent. Switched to the 32T and I really enjoy it.
    Did you swap out the back or are you riding 32/16 ? I purchased one last night. a little buyers remorse but I think for the price its a decent bike. I paid 438 shipped to MN.

I replied in the email to you.

I forgot to mention that I bought a 20T cog, but I haven't put it on. I run 32/16 still. and I put on BB7s because sometimes I think BB5's were designed to kill people.

mtbr member
    More reviews from those that are riding them plz. Glad to see they are gaining in popularity which helps open up the market.

SSolo
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sh00tz View Post
    Did you swap out the back or are you riding 32/16 ? I purchased one last night. a little buyers remorse but I think for the price its a decent bike. I paid 438 shipped to MN.
    Don't regret that's a great deal, put BB7s and 32/18 to 32/20 range gearing depending on your terrain, and ride it! As per OP, the square taper BB is a bummer, but it can be replaced after the bearings go or swap while it's new and sell crankset with BB. Still loving my Nashbar 29er SS.

Quote Originally Posted by SCkikapuD View Post
    I replied in the email to you.

I forgot to mention that I bought a 20T cog, but I haven't put it on. I run 32/16 still. and I put on BB7s because sometimes I think BB5's were designed to kill people.
    Agree on the BB5s, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by theNomad View Post
    More reviews from those that are riding them plz. Glad to see they are gaining in popularity which helps open up the market.
    Yes, more reviews from owners please.
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I purchased this bike late Wednesday night and received it today (saturday) that's pretty quick shipping from Ohio to Minnesota. The bike box did not feel as heavy as I would have thought. It was packaged nice put still need to take it out of the box. I just peeked inside. First upgrade is replacing the chainring to a 32 and seeing if I want to alter the rear 16 tooth cog. I plan on riding it both on and off trails. If I get ambitious I will shoot a unboxing video tomorrow.

Still trying to decide if I should use frame saver on the frame.

-Steve

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Video Walk Around

Quote Originally Posted by sh00tz View Post
    I purchased this bike late Wednesday night and received it today (saturday) that's pretty quick shipping from Ohio to Minnesota. The bike box did not feel as heavy as I would have thought. It was packaged nice put still need to take it out of the box. I just peeked inside. First upgrade is replacing the chainring to a 32 and seeing if I want to alter the rear 16 tooth cog. I plan on riding it both on and off trails. If I get ambitious I will shoot a unboxing video tomorrow.

Still trying to decide if I should use frame saver on the frame.

-Steve
    Nashbar Bees knees 650B Mountain bike walk around. - YouTube

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

after a few rides

After a good test ride I have decided to keep the gearing where it's currently at. I feel its a little low for all out street but should be perfect for combination street and trail riding.

The BB5 disc brakes appear to be fine for what I need. If you are doing mountain decents you might want somethng different.

I'm still up on in the error about replacing the saddle. I will know more in my 15+ mile ride tomorrow.

The frame does appear to be tall and stout. It might just be me or my footing but my feet did hit the front wheel on the first turn I made on the bike.

Decided to get more half way decent pedals for it. Currently running some leftover SPD's pedals on it. But I opted for the NB Verge Platform Pedals.

-Steve

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

How it should be built up!

Nashbar 650b "Bees Knees" Single Speed Bike-nashbar03.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Nashbar 650b "Bees Knees" Single Speed Bike-nashbar02.jpg