mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Name me a good crank

I've got nothing in the used parts bin that can be adapted for my new singlespeed-
    what's a popular choice given this criteria:

square taper (possibly Octalink(?))
    cold forged, one piece
    5 arm
    175mm
    $100-$200

Medium?

New XT or Turbine LP

You can get a new XT Octalink, 34t ring and a BB for under a $hundred after you sell the two rings you don't need on ebay. The BBs don't last as long as square taper though.

I like the old-style Turbine LP otherwise. Again, check ebay. I don't think they make them anymore, do they? Bueller?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddy
    You can get a new XT Octalink, 34t ring and a BB for under a $hundred after you sell the two rings you don't need on ebay. The BBs don't last as long as square taper though.
    Isn't that a 4-arm design? I will be limiting myself on ring options if it is.

Medium?

Yup

You could get a spider for it somewhere, but then you'd lose the co$t benefit. I don't often change gears, so I hadn't thought it much of an issue.

So stop asking.
    Jan 2004

the old guy...

Quote Originally Posted by nubber
    I've got nothing in the used parts bin that can be adapted for my new singlespeed-

cold forged, one piece
    5 arm
    175mm
    $100-$200
    that drove the school bus in the "funkywinkerbean" cartoon strip; now that was a good crank.

Probably drunk right now

Profile.

Not sure on the cost, but definitely stiff.

Ken

Cyclist

You're a good Crank!

cold forged, one piece
    5 arm
    175mm
    $100-$200
    Try the poverty 3 piece euro crank from DansComp.com. I think you can get the whole set for $89, plus another 30 for a spider.

http://www.danscomp.com/

I switched to a profile 3 piece (my dumbass paid more before I saw these) and I'm very happy, especially how stiff it is. You do pay a weight price if that is important to you.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

My cycling photos. Enjoy!

glyphic bacon

Shimano Octalink or aquare taper...(NO ISIS)

Avoid ISIS like the plague...the bottom brackets are crap-ola and wear out very quickly (and are way more expensive than squares/Octalink). Plus after riding them, I detect no discernable diff in stiffness from square or Shimano Octalink (all the claims are hype), and although I'm not a full on Clyde I do weigh 185 lbs.

I've been running Shimano XT Octalink for 2-3 years and they work well. Although the Octalink BB's aren't quite as durable as good old square taper though.

Probably the best bang for your buck would be to get the Shimano LX Octalink which is almost identical to the XT, except that you need a tool to remove the crankarms with the LX (don't need it with the XT). You can get pretty much any normal SS chainring you want for four arm spider...try aebike.com and look at the Salsa rings for cheap stuff at good selection. (thats where I got mine and I run an XT splined) Look under 104 mm compact.

But really, the cheapest and best way would be to get a good used XT square taper crank or a used LP Turbine square taper. You just cant go wrong with these units, you'll get them at bargain basement prices, they are light, super strong, the BB's are widely available in a whole range of weights/qualities and are the most durable available (compare to splines) and are also the cheapest. A $17 shimano square BB will last for YEARS, whereas a $45-$100 ISIS BB may last a few months!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I've got a drive side crank

cold forged, one piece
    5 arm
    175mm
    $100-$200

I've got a drive side XT crank. MC-737? I believe. I'd be willing to give it to you for shipping. It's got a few scrapes, but the square taper is good, and the pedal threads are perfect. The left side can be thrown in, but it's reamed out pretty good. Let me know as it's really no use to me. Maybe you could find the left arm somewhere.
    Last edited by Jaker; 10-18-2006 at 06:09 PM.

Frequent Crasher
    I picked up some Brand new Silver Square taper Race Face cranks for $75.00 plus like 8.00 shipping off Ebay.. keep your eyes peeled on there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

M-737 drive side crank arm

Quote Originally Posted by Jaker
    I've got a drive side XT crank. MC-737? I believe. I'd be willing to give it to you for shipping. It's got a few scrapes, but the square taper is good, and the pedal threads are perfect. The left side can be thrown in, but it's reamed out pretty good. Let me know as it's really no use to me. Maybe you could find the left arm somewhere. jremacle@hotmail.co(m)

Jake
    Jake: Wow, do I so need your crank arm. Stripped my crank extractor bolts a month ago on my old M-737 cranks. 175mm. Can I have/buy yours? Please email if yes Thanks - Kelly

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddy
    The BBs don't last as long as square taper though.

I am a real Clyde. 6'5" 230lbs. and just put TV 180mm cranks on my 1FG. I will keep everyone posted on the durability. So far so good.

Jed Peters
    Not to be a dick, but my 2004 XTR cranks with phil wood bearings in the bb and jericho ring/chainguide has been flawless, neary a peep and stiff as hell.

It's kindof a spendy setup though.

mtbr member

Pictures?

Quote Originally Posted by Zonic Man
    Not to be a dick, but my 2004 XTR cranks with phil wood bearings in the bb and jericho ring/chainguide has been flawless, neary a peep and stiff as hell.

It's kindof a spendy setup though.
    Got a picture of this setup? Are you using the XTR Spider?

mtbr member
    A bike by any other name is still a bike.

Jed Peters
    No pics, can't seem to locate them in the archives. Sorry.

The new xtr arms have an integrated spider/arms.

rejected

Upset

WTF?? that's not about cranks at all???

gentle like

if you're referring to bigwheel's link ...

... yeah. that's just some - interesting? - stuff.

in other news, i too am a bonafide clyde (5'11" 215lbs) and i've had no problems with my truvativ ISIS bb (or cranks) for over a season, and i've ridden it pretty hard - and, uh, not altogether that well over rough stuff, on some occasions.

in contrast, square tapers just didn't hold up so well for me. some flexitus maximus ... some perpetual coming loose ... some toast ... isn't it wierd how the same stuff works so entirely differently for different folks? huh.

personally, i'm interested to see how the new race face (xtr-esque) outboard bearing bb/crank combos hold up. i avoid the big s at as much as possible, and being canadian i do love the face ... anyone ridden the new deus or atlas yet?