Thread: My SS's

mtbr member
    May 2006

My SS's

Thought I would share my SS history.
    All pretty eco builds but have been fun.
    The first was a Nitanium Rockhopper

I bought this bike new and couldn't part with it when I went full sus.
    The forks were RS Judy's bought as faulty but just needed re greasing and pumping up, stretched the geometry a bit but way better than the original Manitou pro's. welded on a disk tab and fitted some cable disks.
    Supposedly this was my winter bike, but got a lot of use in the summer too.
    But despite regular cleaning it got very rusty from the winter use and I became a bit paranoid with my welding, so i bought a Hopper Pro frame but a lot newer.
    The hope was this would also work better with the forks.

It is a Hopper, the S_Works bit was just the stickers, Although most of the bits were moved straight over I just could not get on with it, I have never changed stems so regularly but just could not work with it, so sold the frame on.
    I then went a bit retro with a Sunn frame.

To be honest, although back in the day by bikes always were set up like this, now I like to be a bit more upright, it was light tho'.

So to my current bike, picked up a Moncog frame for 55 on ebay, pretty unusual bike here in the UK, swopped over wheels and brakes, but have gone for higher and wider bars, another cheapo rebuilt set of Judy's ( I like them and again they just needed a clean and air ) Resprayed it with some glittery paint and restickerd.

Normally around here in the winter mud tyres are essential (I use Trailrakers) but I only have one set and they are on my Pipedream so it had to be the Spec Enduro's I use in the summer. In Mud these are Slippy McSlippy from the planet Slippy, especially on the front, washing out on straights!, but once on some dryer single track it handled superbly, but it sure is heavy!, although the component mix is mainly second hand OE stuff, I have some Mavic 717 rims and will build some lighter wheels with quicker tyres (this one won't be my winter bike) and replace the DX pedals with something without cages but other than that not much I can do to get it lighter without spending lots.
    Definitely the funnest of my SS's tho', and a keeper for sure, and only cost 100!!

one chain loop
    i love the looks of that sunn frame. nice collection.
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

mtbr member
    very nice bikes

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    those bikes are to drool for!
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

eon blue apocalypse
    very nice rides my friend.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks for the comments guy's, just noticed I called the forks Judy's, they are in fact Duke's!
    Doh!! I should know, I have 4 sets of them, all picked up with no air pressure as faulty, have replaced the seals with enduroseals (works with the mud around here) regreased and pumped up fine.

mtbr member
    Nice collection!