Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: My raleigh xxix

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    301

    My raleigh xxix

    running 36-16 but i think i might have to go to a 38
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    I have red hair
    Reputation: RedGreen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    265
    nice bike, I had the same bike and setup until i recently upgraded to hydros. I liked mine as a commuter/road bike, but found the frame, which fit me for trail riding, didn't fit me for road riding, even with a 70mm stem. I was running 33-14 but even that was a little small in the flats. How do you like yours??

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BassBikerD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    82
    How does it feel with the drop bars? cramped at all? I just love the dirty red color...goes well with mud!

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    301
    it feels really good with the drops. I am in between raleigh's sizing as i am 5'11" so having to reach out a bit doesn't really bother me. However the 36 chainring is going to have to go for on road riding. couldn't keep up with the pace line in group rides. I was spinning like crazy. got a good work out though.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tostudent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by RedGreen
    nice bike, I had the same bike and setup until i recently upgraded to hydros. I liked mine as a commuter/road bike, but found the frame, which fit me for trail riding, didn't fit me for road riding, even with a 70mm stem. I was running 33-14 but even that was a little small in the flats. How do you like yours??

    I have the same bike as well and was not wanting to change the front ring but the rear cog.
    Reading what you say above, so you think 33-16 is right on for road with flats for the most part and just some gradual rises no hills.

    The stock 33-16 just spins out way to much even on bike trails.

  6. #6
    I have red hair
    Reputation: RedGreen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    265
    Quote Originally Posted by tostudent
    I have the same bike as well and was not wanting to change the front ring but the rear cog.
    Reading what you say above, so you think 33-16 is right on for road with flats for the most part and just some gradual rises no hills.

    The stock 33-16 just spins out way to much even on bike trails.
    yeah, I was trying to keep it cheap, so I just found the smallest cog (14 tooth) I could find and hoped it would work for commuting. I helped a lot, but if I were to do any lengthy road rides, I would definitely want a larger ring in the front. It also depends on the tires you're running. If you run knobbies on the road, you'll get different results than with 700c roadie tires like I used. Get yourself a Surly 14 tooth cog, and if you're not happy with the results for road riding, save the cog and you can upgrade to a 34 or 36 tooth ring in the front. A 36 tooth ring in the front and the 20 tooth stock cog in the back would actually make a pretty good trail gear (same as a 33-17, which is what I run on the trails), and 36-14 would be quite a bit better for roading. Hope that helps

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tostudent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by RedGreen
    yeah, I was trying to keep it cheap, so I just found the smallest cog (14 tooth) I could find and hoped it would work for commuting. I helped a lot, but if I were to do any lengthy road rides, I would definitely want a larger ring in the front. It also depends on the tires you're running. If you run knobbies on the road, you'll get different results than with 700c roadie tires like I used. Get yourself a Surly 14 tooth cog, and if you're not happy with the results for road riding, save the cog and you can upgrade to a 34 or 36 tooth ring in the front. A 36 tooth ring in the front and the 20 tooth stock cog in the back would actually make a pretty good trail gear (same as a 33-17, which is what I run on the trails), and 36-14 would be quite a bit better for roading. Hope that helps

    That's what I wanted to do was put some 700c tires and use it for commuting and occasional road rides in the 20-30 mile range. My work ride is only 7 miles each way.

    Would that work? 700c tires and the 33/14?

  8. #8
    I have red hair
    Reputation: RedGreen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    265
    Quote Originally Posted by tostudent
    That's what I wanted to do was put some 700c tires and use it for commuting and occasional road rides in the 20-30 mile range. My work ride is only 7 miles each way.

    Would that work? 700c tires and the 33/14?

    Yeah, that's what I used for commuting, and I could cruise comfortably at about 18mph on the flats, and it worked out well since I have some hills by where I live. Since 14 is pretty much the lowest you can go in the back, try that first, then upgrade the front if you want more speed later on. If you're thinking of doing longer rides in a group of roadies however, you have no chance of keeping up with a 33/14 combo. It's a great commuting gear, but for any lengthy road riding, I'd go 36/14.

    You'll have to choose your tires wisely too, don't go too skinny, cause then they have the chance of not seating right. I went with Vittoria Randonneur's, 700x32c, and I love 'em. Just make sure if you plan on switching tires often, you get folding beads, cause they're a bear to get on with the steel bead. You could also go with a cheap cyclocross tire as well, which will hold up better if you have to ride any dirt roads or gravel/pot holes.

  9. #9
    banned
    Reputation: cesslinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,111
    Geeze, I have that bike and rock 32/20 or 32/22; but I only ride on the trails.

    Those drop bars look interesting though. I bet it is great to rail corners with those.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by jcufari
    it feels really good with the drops. I am in between raleigh's sizing as i am 5'11" so having to reach out a bit doesn't really bother me. However the 36 chainring is going to have to go for on road riding. couldn't keep up with the pace line in group rides. I was spinning like crazy. got a good work out though.
    Are those the stock WTB rims on your bike and what tires are those? I've got a XXIX thats mostly collecting dust since I got a Niner a couple years ago now. That looks like a fun setup to cruise around on for something different. Nice job!

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BassBikerD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    82
    Let's give this thread a bump! C'mon XXIX riders!

    Another note: I just upgraded from the cruddy bb5's to Hayes Stroker Trails (the white ones= uber cool with the red frame). I have yet to 'brake' them in but they already feel better! It takes a lot to stop 245 lbs...especially going down hills....

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by BassBikerD
    Let's give this thread a bump! C'mon XXIX riders!

    Another note: I just upgraded from the cruddy bb5's to Hayes Stroker Trails (the white ones= uber cool with the red frame). I have yet to 'brake' them in but they already feel better! It takes a lot to stop 245 lbs...especially going down hills....

    Ha ha I feel ya, I weigh 240lbs but I still riding on the BB5's. I thought about upgrading them but I am satisfied with as long as I keep them adjusted. I love the XXIX, I haven't had a whole lot of bikes to go off but its by far my favorite.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Lets_Ride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    127
    Recently bought a 2006 XXIX used. Put the bars, tires and saddle off my GF Rumblefish 2 on it and also upgraded the brakes to Juicy 3's. I put on a Thompson seatpost and Thompson Elite stem that I had in the bin. First ride last Sunday was awesome but the stock 33/20 was way undergeared on our flat New Orleans Trail. Just got a 34T Rennen chainring and an 18T Rennen sprocket to try. I have also got an Origin8 Blackops carbon fork. Installation tomorrow morning and test ride tomorrow on a night ride. Will post pics when it is complete.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My raleigh xxix-cimg0753.jpg  

    My raleigh xxix-cimg0754.jpg  

    My raleigh xxix-cimg0757.jpg  

    Last edited by Lets_Ride; 03-08-2010 at 01:38 PM.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BassBikerD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    82
    So I finally got around to really looking at my crank...turns out it's starting to round out on the non drive side. Typical problem with the Firex GXP apparently. I was wondering if the new Stylo OCT is a worthwhile replacement/upgrade?

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,165
    Quote Originally Posted by Lets_Ride
    Recently bought a 2006 XXIX used. Put the bars, tires and saddle off my GF Rumblefish 2 on it and also upgraded the brakes to Juicy 3's. I put on a Thompson seatpost and Thompson Elite stem that I had in the bin. First ride last Sunday was awesome but the stock 33/20 was way undergeared on our flat New Orleans Trail. Just got a 34T Rennen chainring and an 18T Rennen sprocket to try. I have also got an Origin8 Blackops carbon fork. Installation tomorrow morning and test ride tomorrow on a night ride. Will post pics when it is complete.
    I hope your name is Ryan Lawson!

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Lets_Ride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    127
    Yes. Who wishes they were riding

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    5
    Really digging the look of the Black Ops fork. I want to do the same for mine. Which A to C measurement did you go with? It looks pretty similar to the stock fork, huh?

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Lets_Ride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    127
    The fork is awesome. I went for the 425mm because my frame is older (2006) and therefore supposedly not suspension corrected.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    5
    Nice, thanks. I was just researching and debating between the 425 and the 445. My frame is identical to yours, so I know what I'm getting myself into. Cheers.

  20. #20
    smell the saddle...
    Reputation: stumonky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    629
    Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding
    I hope your name is Ryan Lawson!
    His name is Ryan, but he wishes it was Ratboy.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Lets_Ride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    127
    No way. That cement truck needs his gears too much

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •