theHeadlessThompsonGunner

In my quest for a lighter, bigger, faster-rolling tire...

...I said "fu(k it," and ordered some 2.7" Mobsters, at a whopping 1400 gm per. I figure they'll fit through my rigid fork, and I ought to be riding it more anyway - running these puppies at 12 psi, I'll have giant freaking legs in no time. That, and I'll be in a foreign land (Sydney, Astralia) soon, with little or no local trail knowledge, and might have to make do with urban debauchery for a few months - these look like they'll take concrete abuse in stride.

The reviews, while mostly the work of a particularly meat-headed crowd, seem nonetheless good, and the price was right.

"I've courted brain damage like some courtesan of darkness."

-The Good Doctor

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

love my Mobster on the front with a rigid fork and low psi......

Has got me in and out of trouble many times. Fork is a Surly 1x1. With the fork, tire and Avid mechanical disk I feel invincible up front. It seems very tough, and it absorbs my mistakes. Only minor beef is the center knobs pick up a certain size of small stone and some are flung at me and the bike.

You Are What You Is
    Quote Originally Posted by hu-man
    Has got me in and out of trouble many times. Fork is a Surly 1x1. With the fork, tire and Avid mechanical disk I feel invincible up front. It seems very tough, and it absorbs my mistakes. Only minor beef is the center knobs pick up a certain size of small stone and some are flung at me and the bike.
    Yeah, I've had those on my Bullit and they do kick up rocks more than most, but otherwise I love 'em. They roll over anything and everything with not so much as a whimper.

Oh hey Sdizzle, have you ever had any issues with running a rear disc on your Chameleon? I'm thinking of going to disc in the rear of mine.

theHeadlessThompsonGunner
    Quote Originally Posted by P-Funk
    Oh hey Sdizzle, have you ever had any issues with running a rear disc on your Chameleon? I'm thinking of going to disc in the rear of mine.
    None whatsoever. I'd recommend a bolt-on axle or skewer, but it works fine with a regular QR, too. If both your bolts fit, put them both in; otherwise, just go with one and rely on skewer tension to do the rest. I've never had it get shifty on me, but I got bored and elongated the round hole so both bolts slid with the adapter. (Now I can run any gear and still have three points of contact - front and back bolt, and skewer.) Poof! There goes my warranty, but this frame is unbreakable anyway. Whatever the case, it's not worth modifying your frame as I did - it works just fine with just the one bolt. I guess I don't really know why SC didn't tell people it'd be fine, or why more Chameleon users haven't done this.

Thanks for the input on the Mobster. I'm excited to run such big rubber, and hope it doesn't take too much paint off of my frame! I think it'll clear, but haven't run anything bigger than a 2.35 Kujo DH in there...
    "I've courted brain damage like some courtesan of darkness."

-The Good Doctor