Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

My poor mtb...

646 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  umarth 
#1 ·
Went for a ride this last weekend and came home to find the hub bearings in my rear wheel (mavic crossride disc) are toast. Took everything apart, cleaned, lubed, put it back together, and the axle barely turns. I don't have the money to replace it or send it back to Mavic. I shudder at what they might tell me after discovering I was running it fixed with a disc mount cog... any little excuse to void the warranty.

So I drank alot of beer... and noticed I had a 700c fixed gear wheelset sitting in the corner. Errr... maybe all that beer wasn't such a good idea... (hours later) I have those wheels on my monocog so I could get to work and stuff. Umm... I like it. Now I'm thinking of some 700 x 32/35 tires and a brake adapter so it can venture off-road.

The bike is transforming slowly... there isn't a single part on there that hasn't been modified in some way other than the frame. Frankenbike. Mountain/cyclocross/commuter/end-of-the-world bike.

Btw, anyone know if there is any DIY service procedure for Mavic Crossride hub bearings?

#2 ·
The mavic tech manuals can be accessed here:
http://www.tech-mavic.com/tech-mavic/technical_manual/data/
The user and password can be found if you look in the right places or ask the right people.

Open it up and knock the bearings out using the axle or a soft punch, a even hand, and a lot of patience. Replace bearings as necessary or take the seals off, soak the bearings in cleaner, clean off the cleaner, repack, re-seal, re-set and RIDE!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.