Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: my plans

get down!

my plans

I'm building an SS bike... well not exactly.

I plan on purchasing a redline monocog flight by the end of the month - rigid ss.

pic for reference:

my plans for it include (to be upgraded piece by piece as I get money)
    - king headset
    - shorter, better stem
    - front susp. fork; I'm a college student without too much money... so I'll be looking at a RS pilot sl or something similar - unless I can find a fox or race quality RS/manitou/marz etc on ebay or get a good deal.
    - easton cf riser bars
    - easton cf seatpost
    - mech. disc brakes (hmx-1's?)
    - cogset f/r
    - lastly the crank and hubs/rims

I am asking for input on this idea... this is what I've been forming over the last month or so. I used to ride bmx and I know that redline makes excellent frames... for this price it's a great deal. I'm hoping in the end the bike will weigh in at around 25 lbs.

get down!
    bump for advice!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

get a kona fork

Quote Originally Posted by cjh_mtb

I plan on purchasing a redline monocog flight by the end of the month - rigid ss.

pic for reference:

- king headset
    - shorter, better stem
    - front susp. fork; I'm a college student without too much money... so I'll be looking at a RS pilot sl or something similar - unless I can find a fox or race quality RS/manitou/marz etc on ebay or get a good deal.
    - easton cf riser bars
    - easton cf seatpost
    - cogset f/r

I am asking for input on this idea... this is what I've been forming over the last month or so. I used to ride bmx and I know that redline makes excellent frames... for this price it's a great deal. I'm hoping in the end the bike will weigh in at around 25 lbs.
    I suggest getting a kona rigid fork and AVID mecanicial brakes. The stock fork is Also aluminum, the Kona is steel and fairly light, also about 25mm shorter, so the handling is quicker.
    Also Webcyclery has the 04 flight frames on sale, $150 FF $250 with disc compatible RL wheels and an extra $100 for a pair of 160mm avid disc brakes. The frame is red though.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton

Why?

In the end you will end up with a $1200 bike built around a $150 frame. These bikes are rad as-is. Ride it stock and rigid. Then decide how many of the upgrades are necessary.

By the way, I see Single 1x1 noted this already. Here is the link for the 04 frameset with wheels and Avid disks if you have other parts around...

https://webcyclery.com/product.php?p...5&cat=0&page=1

If you MUST give in to the upgrade-itis, you might be bummed when you try to upgrade the boat-anchor hubs... not too many 110mm spaced disk hubs out there.

JMH

pic for reference:

- king headset
    - shorter, better stem
    - easton cf riser bars
    - easton cf seatpost
    - cogset f/r

GoVols
    Oct 2004

Iro mia or highlander

Look at www.irocycle.com. The Mia or Highlander are better deals in my opinion - just got a complete Mia for about $600 shipped. Includes disk brakes, just needed to add pedals...and if you ever get the 29'er itch the Mia frame will work...

get down!
    What i'm looking for is a light, singlespeed bike with a front suspension, because I mostly ride trails. I'm also very fast, I want a lightweight bike that will make me faster.

I understand that my plans involve me investing a lot into this frame - I know redline makes excellent frames in their bmx series (I used to ride bmx as well) and I'm confident this flight al. frame will keep up with me.

I will only have about $650 by the time I want to purchase this bike... this is why I need to go the upgrade route. I will be riding it rigid probably until late winter as well. I have seen the deal on webcyclery, I jsut don't have extra parts lying around, or the money to buy all of the other components - I need a fully functioning bike by the beginning of my college schoolyear.

deuce, I will check out those bikes.

thanks for the advice... if anyone has any more to add please, do so!

get down!
    and yes, I know the rear spacing is only 110mm - but there are plenty of very high performance bmx hubs

brother on a mission
    What i'm looking for is a light, singlespeed bike with a front suspension, because I mostly ride trails.
    There are many of us on here that run rigid forks and all we ride are trails. I do nto have the scratch for a high end suspension fork, and I have found that riding a rigid fork is much nicer than the cheap suspension forks I can afford (I realize this is a very personal preference). For $650 you can get a lot of bike, if you look used. On the classifieds here there was recently a surly frame fork etc, for sale for $150, a KHS solo-one with suspension fork and rigid fork for sale for $450 shipped (a good to great deal), and several other choices. It sounds like you are sold ont he Redline, but look around some more, you might like the other options.

Some other reasonably priced single speed bikes include the IRO mia mentioned, the soul cycles hooligan, misfit bikes, and I am sure there are others I am missing.

Be sure to post you bike when you get it.

Cheers,

GF

mtbr member
    i actually just bought a monocog cromoly not too long ago. havent ridden it yet (im making payments from my summer internship location back home to my LBS.) i dont really have any advice, id just like to know what upgrades you put on your 'cog, and how important you think it each one is. ill probably just ride the bike totally stock until things start breaking (with the possibility that i dont like fully rigid, and i want to get a cheap fork. ill be damned if im going to put anything more than a $200 fork on a $400 bike. also, dont forget that anything more than 80mm up front throws your geometry off.) but i am slapping on a flask holder, surly flask, and a make shift basket on the back. thats right, all for drunkery purposes. BAR BIKE!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    why is everyone trying to convince the guy NOT to buy a redline.

let me say it is probably a damn fine bike and i enjoy riding the steel version i have more than any other bike i currently own.

my only recommendtaion might be to check into the steel version (btw another poster noted the stock fork on that bike pictured above that is aluminum, YOU SURE? that looks like exactly like my steel fork).

as for investing, mine probably worth maybe 450 since i built a new wheel for the back (i bought the frame and hweeels in a deal webcyclery had last spring), but it builds very easily and cheaply into a quality nice handling bike... i ride mine with the stock fork and it dices up singletrack like a champ!

finally, if you ride a lot, you'll be fast, no matter what bike you ride...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by max-a-mill

let me say it is probably a damn fine bike and i enjoy riding the steel version i have more than any other bike i currently own.

my only recommendtaion might be to check into the steel version (btw another poster noted the stock fork on that is aluminum, YOU SURE? that looks like exactly like my steel fork).

as for investing, mine probably worth maybe 450 since i built a new wheel for the back (i bought the frame and hweeels in a deal webcyclery had last spring), but it builds very easily and cheaply into a quality nice handling bike... i ride mine with the stock fork and it dices up singletrack like a champ!

any suggestions for upgrades on the steel version?

get down!
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenfix
    There are many of us on here that run rigid forks and all we ride are trails. I do nto have the scratch for a high end suspension fork, and I have found that riding a rigid fork is much nicer than the cheap suspension forks I can afford (I realize this is a very personal preference). For $650 you can get a lot of bike, if you look used. On the classifieds here there was recently a surly frame fork etc, for sale for $150, a KHS solo-one with suspension fork and rigid fork for sale for $450 shipped (a good to great deal), and several other choices. It sounds like you are sold ont he Redline, but look around some more, you might like the other options.

Some other reasonably priced single speed bikes include the IRO mia mentioned, the soul cycles hooligan, misfit bikes, and I am sure there are others I am missing.

Be sure to post you bike when you get it.

Cheers,

GF
    I have been looking around on ebay a lot, I almost bought a 2003 chameleon with a psylo fork and extremely good components... but apparently when I bid the auction was over (even though I was counting, there was still 15 sec left). I will continue to look on ebay and craigs, though. This is my plan if I Don't find something I like...

messofzero - the flight AL fram can accommodate a 100mm fork. I plan on upgrading the bike mostly keeping weight in mind. My first upgrades will be the fork (prob a manitou minute, 3.5lbs), easton cf handlebars and seatpost. After that, i will probably attack the crankset (something light again - xt, evolve?) and the headset.

Im a very light rider (135lbs) so strength isn't as much of an issue as it would be for bigger guys, although I do like to hurl myself off of jumps and huck around in the streets sometimes.

mtbr member
    messofzero - the flight AL fram can accommodate a 100mm fork. I plan on upgrading the bike mostly keeping weight in mind. My first upgrades will be the fork (prob a manitou minute, 3.5lbs), easton cf handlebars and seatpost. After that, i will probably attack the crankset (something light again - xt, evolve?) and the headset.

drag, i think the steel only takes a 80mm. oh well, i might just stay rigid. i also need to keep in mind that you are looking for a light bike, while i couldnt care less if this bike ends up being 32 pounds. urban assault baby!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    as for upgrades;other than the frame and wheels i wouldn't know... i put the rest of the bike together with old stuff i had that worked and continues to work well.

i do know the wheels (if they still use the alex rims) are pretty cheap. after over a year, the back wheel just wouldn't stay true anymore and kept breaking spokes. so i had another wheel built using the original hub and it's been peachy ever since. (but i wiegh 230 and therfore am pretty hard on wheels)

i have also heard here the redline hubs are no good... but i don't understand why. mine are holding up great!

it's a cool bike, but part of what makes it cool is that it's so cheap... if you hang a bunch of high-end sh!t on there..... well,do whatever makes you happy!

here is a picture of mine when it was new and shiney. other than the rear wheel, new tires, and the pedals thats still how it looks (but much dirtier).

get down!
    it's a cool bike, but part of what makes it cool is that it's so cheap... if you hang a bunch of high-end sh!t on there..... well,do whatever makes you happy!
    I know what you mean... I can keep all of the parts though... once i'm done building up the redline frame with all of the other nice components, hell I can buy a better SS frame and basically have the original redline back together. using this bike just as the template, you know?

get down!
    by the way, does anybody know how to contact redline by email? their website lists no contact information

cause it's fun
    Jan 2004
    You can call the seattle bike supply company at 1-800-283-2453.

Not sure what info you are loonig for from RedLine, but your local dealer should be able to answer any questions. I believe that they would prefer you go through your local dealer, and that's why they don't list an email.

I do have some other contact info for people in different departments at the seattle bike supply company. As far as I know they don't have a general mailbox, so depending on what info you're looking for I can try and point you in the right direction.

As for the Monocog...I love mine. I really like the quick turning, and snappy handling. I've bolted on some expensive parts, and like it even more now. As for wheels I'm running Crupi hubs (rear is a flip flop) laced to Mavic rims. I've ridden other peoples bikes, and this frame just feels better to me.
    bus driver wanna be

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Yes the fork is AL

my only recommendtaion might be to check into the steel version (btw another poster noted the stock fork on that bike pictured above that is aluminum, YOU SURE? that looks like exactly like my steel fork).

The fork on the Aluminum monocog is Aluminum, not steel, like on the steel monocog, it's in the specs in the redline catalog, also I asked kevin at Webcyclery when I ordered mine up just to make sure, that's why I am running a Kona jump fork that was a scab takeoff which I had found for cheap, I also told kevin he could keep the aluminum fork I just needed a frame, didn't get a further price reduction though.
    The stock Aluminum monocog should be no more then 24# asis compleate, since the stock steel version is about 25 or 26# stock and the aluminum frame and fork are much lighter then the steel version, the aluminum bike has most of the parts upgraded from the steel version also, I wouldn't be surprised if the stock compleate wieghs less then 24# complete, I say get a better kona fork, for cheep and forget about a cheap suspension fork, as for upgrades, ride it till you have to replace somethings, BB, and decent pedals for example

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I have been looking around on ebay a lot, I almost bought a 2003 chameleon with a psylo fork and extremely good components... but apparently when I bid the auction was over (even though I was counting, there was still 15 sec left). I will continue to look on ebay and craigs, though. This is my plan if I Don't find something I like...

Im a very light rider (135lbs) so strength isn't as much of an issue as it would be for bigger guys, although I do like to hurl myself off of jumps and huck around in the streets sometimes.
    The UCI team is sponsored by KHS, which means we can get the KHS frame or bike for less than cost. You could just wait until the fall to get the singlespeed. As far as I'm concearned, don't get caught up in brand names. I'm sure many will back me up when I say that a bike is a bike, no matter if it says Trek, Specialized, Felt, Giant, KHS, Kona, or Ironhorse, etc., especially in the realm of hardtails and singlespeeds (thiscomment does not include custom frames). In my opinion too many people get caught up in the brand name and are loyal to one specific brand.

You did say that you could find many BMX hubs, but the problem is that you cannot find many BMX disc hubs to go with the frame, and thus you are stuck with the hubs which come on the bike as is, which someone mentioned before that they were heavy--something that I do not doubt.
    "We got brakes." - Friend/teammate's reponse to the cop's question, "What if the car stops?" after while being pulled over for drafting a car at 30mph.

former clydesdale
    Feb 2004

Built it for $550

I was strapped when I got into mountain biking and built a Monocog for about $550... here's how I did it:

*mtbr classifieds- monocog frame, rigid fork, chain tugs, salsa seat clamp and jenson built ryno-lite wheelset w/redline hubs and white industries cog for something like $150
    *dans competition bmx (danscomp.com)- poverty 3pc crank set w/ euro bb and cheap platform pedals (sealed bearing), chain, cheapo redline seat and chainring. They even threw in a crappy demon t-shirt for free, handy for bike wash/grease cleanup
    *JensonUSA- Shimano Deore Brakes/Levers and cables, Titec BigAL stem and HellBent bar, Thomson seat post, Hutchinson python rear tire and WTB raptor front tire and tubes
    *Brothers stash- cheap headset, oury grips, grease, chips and salsa, 4 cold beers

Mine was built heavy duty b/c I was 243 and couldn't afford mechanical problems, I dropped 53 lbs on it have ridden the crap out of it, rigid and lovin' it. Upgrade when I can.

My point is, doing it like that I got some good, name brand, warranteed parts that would be durable and I could enjoy the sport without worrying about "downtime" from breaking things and not being able to come up with the money to replace them. Only fixes I've had to do the the tank so far are tubes and replace all the alloy nipples with brass after I broke 3 of the alloys. Upgraded the pedals to Time ATAC and brake pads to cassettes. May do a fork one day, maybe. Would definitely go for disc brakes if my frame would accomodate.

IMHO, if you do buy the full package and upgrade later start with things that could break and hurt you (stem and bar) and then move on to things that will last and keep you from unexpected expensive mechanicals (cranks, bb, hubs/wheel rebuild), then things that will give better performance (fork, brakes).

get down!
    I actually went a completely different way... haha

I've bought a fetish cycles' fixation SS frame, a manitou black fork, hayes discs, along with an easton stem and panaracer tires so far. I'll be buying the crankset/BB soon along with the headset. I'll probalby have to put off the wheels and handlebars for a little bit but its ok, I have another bike to ride.

I'm a very fickle person

former clydesdale
    Feb 2004
    Crafty choice as well, don't forget to post some pics!

no fat chicks

dang

I've bought a fetish cycles' fixation SS frame, a manitou black fork, hayes discs, along with an easton stem and panaracer tires so far. I'll be buying the crankset/BB soon along with the headset. I'll probalby have to put off the wheels and handlebars for a little bit but its ok, I have another bike to ride.

I'm a very fickle person

too bad ... i built a mono cog flight to 20.5 lbs. a couple months ago without even really using all that nice of stuff. the frame weighs 3.8 lbs. and the aluminum fork weighs 1.3 lbs. for the bean counters, that's as light as my elite 9.8 carbon frame and spicer titanium fork. kind of pissed me off really.
    #1 NORBA elite singlespeed racer 30-34 age group

brother on a mission

I'm a very fickle person

Just move the wheels and bars over fromthe bike you are riding.

Sounds like a nice build.

GF

get down!
    Quote Originally Posted by iliketoridebikes
    too bad ... i built a mono cog flight to 20.5 lbs. a couple months ago without even really using all that nice of stuff. the frame weighs 3.8 lbs. and the aluminum fork weighs 1.3 lbs. for the bean counters, that's as light as my elite 9.8 carbon frame and spicer titanium fork. kind of pissed me off really.
    the fixation weighs 4.5lbs and the manitou fork also weighs in at 4.5... it's ok, I was expecting the bike to be around 25 lbs and thats where its heading. I've bought a light easton stem, gonna get some carbon riser bars. Just don't know what to do about the wheels and hubs they're so expensive.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast