mtbr member

My parts pic for SS conversion

Okay, I posted a few days ago that I have been thinking about converting my 2008 Jamis Komodo to a SS. My drivetrain is in need of repair and I figured I might as well do the conversion instead of replacing all my broken parts. Here are the parts I am thining about ordering to do the conversion. I just want to get everyones thoughts before I order stuff that isn't going to work together and what not. Oh, I already have a Blackspire Stinger chain tensioner. The BB mount type. I saw in a couple threads where it should do the job. Okay the parts:

Wheels Manufacturing Singlespeed Kit
    Wheels Manufacturing Singlespeed Kit > Components > Small and Service Parts | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

Dimension Splined Cog For Singlespeed I plan to get an 18t and 20t to go with the 16t that comes with the Wheels kit so I can try different ratios
    Dimension Splined Cog For Singlespeed > Components > Drivetrain > Singlespeed, BMX, and Track Cogs | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

KMC Z410 Single Speed Chain No I will not be getting the pink
    KMC Z410 Single Speed Chain > Components > Drivetrain > Chains | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

Wippermann Connex Chain Link and Pin
    Wippermann Connex Chain Link and Pin > Components > Drivetrain > Chain Pins and Master Links | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

I also plan to use my current chainring that I have up front if I can. It is a 32t ring and is in good condition.

Thanks ahead of time for any input.

one chain loop
    no need for the connex chain link. and also, since you have 3/32 chainring and cog, try to match it with a 3/32 chain and not with 1/8 chain that you posted.
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

mtbr member
    Why do I not need a master link? Do SS chains come with master links?

Bro Mountainbiker
    Yes. All chains I know of come with master links.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Awesome, thank you for the info and help guys.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    If you want to save some money I would get this for $22

Forté Single-Speed Conversion Kit -

It comes with the 16t, 18t, 20t, spacer kit that you were going to buy for more money. You can just toss or sell the chain tensnior if you don't need it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brent878 View Post

It comes with the 16t, 18t, 20t, spacer kit that you were going to buy for more money. You can just toss or sell the chain tensnior if you don't need it.
    I did look at that one but a couple of the reviewers said they were having trouble with the cogs slipping on their freehub. Judging by the pictures the splines on the cogs do look pretty round.

mtbr member
    If you don't need a tensioner, I recommend the Sette single speed conversion kit from PricePoint. $12. http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/167...=42&zmap=16777

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II

one chain loop
    the Sette is not a good kit. no chainline adjustability.
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishcreek View Post
    the Sette is not a good kit. no chainline adjustability.
    Meh. Works fine for me. I guess I don't need chainline adjustment.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Danielrg_usa View Post
    I did look at that one but a couple of the reviewers said they were having trouble with the cogs slipping on their freehub. Judging by the pictures the splines on the cogs do look pretty round.
    I used it on one of my bikes to cheaply convert it to SS. It worked ok but I will admit I didn't put many miles on that bike. Maybe 200 miles before I gave it away. But in those 200 miles it didn't mar up my freehub or slip. I think my freehub was steel on that bike so I wasn't too worried about it. I do understand your concern though, on my new bike I wouldn't run those cogs as well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by brent878 View Post

x2 This kit worked pretty good for me. I never had any problems with cogs slipping on the hub with my 230lb body mashing on the pedals....
    The only thing that bothered me about the kit, which I did fix eventually is the little amount of play in the tensioner.
    I took the tensioner apart and put either 1 or 2 thick washers between the spring and it got rid of the play completely. It was rock solid then and my chain never skipped again.
    Pedaling Gorilla

mtbr member
    I went ahead and ordered the Wheels kit from Jenson. I am pretty excited to see what all the singlespeed fuss is about and challenge myself.