Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

Thread: My new McClung

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    After three weeks or so of nearly constant snow and some good days on the local hill...

the sun finally returned and I got out on my bike...

the snow is piled up enough that riding is a challenge but not to bad.

And on the way home a quick stop at the water tower...

Al thanks for the hookup I look forward to returning the favor!

Cheers,
    P.T

ps I will be doing the weather on our local RSN (ch 63) network starting next week so if any of ya"ll get to Salida or BV make sure to check that out.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Nice!

Yeah it's been alternating between muddy and frozen in my part of the country. Have you made any adjustments to your initial set-up? Tires or gearing for example. How are you finding the fork? Do you reckon it offers more damping than a regular rigid fork?

mtbr member

Amigo! You're an embarrassment...

You call yourself a single speeder, much less a McClung single speed rider? Here you are hitching a tow behind the groomer????

Whatever happened to earning your turns? Where are the skins? I'm appalled.

75 and not a cloud in the sky here. I miss the snow. Enjoy it!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by al415
    Yeah it's been alternating between muddy and frozen in my part of the country. Have you made any adjustments to your initial set-up? Tires or gearing for example. How are you finding the fork? Do you reckon it offers more damping than a regular rigid fork?
    So far the only change has been to give Jason his 170 mm XT cranks back and install my 165mm XT cranks. I do have a 90mm stem coming and will eventually put a Thompson stem on when i know what length I want... It seems to me the whole set up is pretty smooth, although I won't claim to know much. I am able to descend as fast as on my Yeti 575, although I need to pay more attention... It is hard for me to describe the difference in either performance or feel it's just better. I have truly enjoyed every bike I have ever owned but #49 makes me want to cycle (and hard), more than anything I have done. It has changed the whole game for me, I guess the results will differ for each participant but around here it seems like there is a drive to not let the mystic down,either by not being strong enough or not having the conditioning, there is a responsibility to be able to ride hard enough and long enough to live up to your bikes legacy. Is that to sappy? It may be to much to explain over the interweb but believe me when I say Don's bikes are better than you can imagine...

Cheers P.T.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy
    You call yourself a single speeder, much less a McClung single speed rider? Here you are hitching a tow behind the groomer????

Whatever happened to earning your turns? Where are the skins? I'm appalled.

75 and not a cloud in the sky here. I miss the snow. Enjoy it!
    You know "boot packing" Mirkwood with the Cat guys to earn a free day latter in the year its hard but someone has to do it...

mtbr member

Boot packing???

Boot packing??? Really?? At Monarch???

I didn't even realize they still did that, although I guess it most be pretty common for the steeps. Kinda' dangerous stuff. Did they make you sign the mother of all liability releases?

Thanks for the pics. My trip back home for Xmas was cancelled at the last minute due to the wife's job. I needed the fix.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ptwood
    So far the only change has been to give Jason his 170 mm XT cranks back and install my 165mm XT cranks. I do have a 90mm stem coming and will eventually put a Thompson stem on when i know what length I want... It seems to me the whole set up is pretty smooth, although I won't claim to know much. I am able to descend as fast as on my Yeti 575, although I need to pay more attention... It is hard for me to describe the difference in either performance or feel it's just better. I have truly enjoyed every bike I have ever owned but #49 makes me want to cycle (and hard), more than anything I have done. It has changed the whole game for me, I guess the results will differ for each participant but around here it seems like there is a drive to not let the mystic down,either by not being strong enough or not having the conditioning, there is a responsibility to be able to ride hard enough and long enough to live up to your bikes legacy. Is that to sappy? It may be to much to explain over the interweb but believe me when I say Don's bikes are better than you can imagine...

Cheers P.T.
    I tend to do more fine tuning on my road bike set ups. MTB's always seem to have larger margins to play with. 165mm eh? Ya know, a couple of guys I know here are playing with 180mm on their big wheeled SS bikes at the moment. Both of these guys are around your (and my) build.

I can relate to everything you say about living up to a lineage. It's not sappy at all. I have an old club jersey from when I raced on the track back in Ireland. We had a national champion in the club at the time, so the jersey carried a bit of clout on race days. Even today I won't wear it unless I'm in top shape... so of course, I have not worn it for years!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy
    Boot packing??? Really?? At Monarch???

I didn't even realize they still did that, although I guess it most be pretty common for the steeps. Kinda' dangerous stuff. Did they make you sign the mother of all liability releases?

Thanks for the pics. My trip back home for Xmas was cancelled at the last minute due to the wife's job. I needed the fix.
    The tedious part is walking a properly serpentine path down the hill

trail rat
    ... but around here it seems like there is a drive to not let the mystic down,either by not being strong enough or not having the conditioning, there is a responsibility to be able to ride hard enough and long enough to live up to your bikes legacy. Is that to sappy?...
    Makes sense to me. I got my first mountain bike in 1979, and rode it in seven Western stares over the next years. Being on the road as a bike company sales rep gave me many opportunities. We had rigid bikes of course. I rode, and sometimes walked, some awesome places. Even though I have a FS for longer rides, I still love my rigid SS more, and it definitely has my heart, for the reasons you state above. Sappy or not, I'm with you on this.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

mtbr member

Keep This Thread Alive

Let's PLEASE have some more Mcclung disscusion, ride reports, and most importantly, more photos...These bikes are amazing!!! Just curious....Does anyone know if the Mcclung and the Pereira have the same geometry? They sure do look like it.
    Last edited by Bluebeat007; 01-02-2009 at 01:34 PM.

mtbr member

There are some slight differences...

al415 made the observation here:

Pereira Roaring29er number 2

First thing to bear in mind is that these are custom and the geometry will vary based on the customer. Tony has only created two, mine and his personal bike which were both very similar in dimensions as he and I just happen to have similar builds. That said there is definitely more of a bend in Don's seat tubes. My guess is the wheel bases are probably similar (perhaps the Pereira is slightly longer). The Don probably has a longer top tube with shorter rear triangle and the rider positioned further behind the bottom bracket.

I'd love to get them side by side. It's more likely that I'll get to Salida, before any of the Don Crew get to San Diego.

Maybe this summer when I make my annual pilgrimage home...

TCN

Hairshirt Rider
    around here it seems like there is a drive to not let the mystic down,either by not being strong enough or not having the conditioning, there is a responsibility to be able to ride hard enough and long enough to live up to your bikes legacy. Is that to sappy?
    Makes sense. 4th of July is just around the corner.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Loudpawlz
    Makes sense. 4th of July is just around the corner.
    Yes and getting closer everyday, I rode with Jason and Wade yesterday and they just crushed me. I really need to be getting out more, but it is looking like our thaw is over and we are back into a snow pattern for a while.

Cheers,
    P.T.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    first Cottonwood of 2009...

Cheers,
    P.T.

rigid bruce
    Nov 2004
    I love how these McClungs look. I'm a long time singlespeeder, rigid, flats. Can someone write about how they ride and handle compared to a more standard bike? I ride a Curtlo 29er and a ENO converted Fat City Ti Fat, both rigid.
    How does sitting over the rear wheel impact handling? Do you find this position more comfortable?

I'm going to be out that way from late February to late March. My son is in Boulder, CO. I'm picking him up and then we're going to Heuco Tanks in TX to do some bouldering.

I might have some time in CO. Is it worth it weatherwise to go to Salida in Feb/March? I'll have my Ti Fat with me. Any chance of checking out some of Don's bikes then?
    bruce boysen b4bru@aol.com

Witty McWitterson
    wow. 165's. Thats nearly an inch shorter than mine. I've been on 185's for the summer, and really like 'em. Just goes to show how varied set ups can be.
    Just a regular guy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ~martini~
    wow. 165's. Thats nearly an inch shorter than mine. I've been on 185's for the summer, and really like 'em. Just goes to show how varied set ups can be.
    Hey, what is your inseam?

PT, is that blue / grey Don bike a tribute to Yeti? Looks good. Have you checked in on mine yet?

Witty McWitterson
    The pants say 34". If I do the crotch method, I measure out at 36".
    Just a regular guy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by al415
    Hey, what is your inseam?

PT, is that blue / grey Don bike a tribute to Yeti? Looks good. Have you checked in on mine yet?
    I will be working right next door this week so I will pack the camera and stop by the shop.

Cheers,
    P.T.

mtbr member
    sweet build
    "A Fifth of Yager, a four pack or Red Bull, and a full suspension mountain bike, now thats quite a combo."

Quote Originally Posted by Rigid
    Is it worth it weatherwise to go to Salida in Feb/March?

Not at all.

The Cottonwood loop pictured is cool, but not a destination ride. Go to Salida in September.

And a Don rider ought to be on leathers and 3 pins.

Schipperkes are cool.

I built it. Customer will go unnamed.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by banks

I built it. Customer will go unnamed.
    I saw your name on the SSWC09 start list right below mine, does that mean you have to go kayaking with me now?

Cheers,
    P.T.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I love how these McClungs look. I'm a long time singlespeeder, rigid, flats. Can someone write about how they ride and handle compared to a more standard bike? I ride a Curtlo 29er and a ENO converted Fat City Ti Fat, both rigid.
    How does sitting over the rear wheel impact handling? Do you find this position more comfortable?
    I think the biggest things are the short wheel base and chain stay mine is 40.5" and 16.5" respectively which seem to make the bike super responsive and tight feeling although I would not claim to be an expert on bike geometry vs. handling, I do know that for me it is exceptional.

I'm going to be out that way from late February to late March. My son is in Boulder, CO. I'm picking him up and then we're going to Heuco Tanks in TX to do some bouldering.

I might have some time in CO. Is it worth it weatherwise to go to Salida in Feb/March? I'll have my Ti Fat with me. Any chance of checking out some of Don's bikes then?
    bruce boysen b4bru@aol.com
    Definitely a crap shoot that time of year but I would say Salida is always worth the stop. Let me now when you will be through and I see if I can't rally a ride.

Cheers,
    P.T.

Schipperkes are cool.
    I saw your name on the SSWC09 start list right below mine, does that mean you have to go kayaking with me now?

Cheers,
    P.T.
    I didn't know that SSWC had boating.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.

Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast