Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Thread: My new McClung

mtbr member

A few non-traditionals

just for fun...

TCN

PS. love the knickers. I'm waiting for a three pin binding to appear on the flats for winter.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: gif 1.gif (43 Bytes, 5856 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (130.8 KB, 6157 views)

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I believe Don has started my seat tube / bottom bracket. I've got plenty of time, but I'm at a bit of a loss about what colors to go with.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by al415
    I believe Don has started my seat tube / bottom bracket. I've got plenty of time, but I'm at a bit of a loss about what colors to go with.
    That's a tough one I spent a lot of time looking at old bikes hoping for inspiration. I will try and get by the shop and see if I can't get a picture of the progress up here for you.

Cheers P.T.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ptwood
    That's a tough one I spent a lot of time looking at old bikes hoping for inspiration. I will try and get by the shop and see if I can't get a picture of the progress up here for you.
    Cheers P.T.
    That would be brilliant. I imagine it adds an entirely different dimension to the custom build experience if you can hang out in the builder's shop!

As for colors. I keep going back and forth. I imagine I'll narrow it down eventually...

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy
    just for fun...

TCN

PS. love the knickers. I'm waiting for a three pin binding to appear on the flats for winter.
    #41 I think, those crazy kids from Texas....

Witty McWitterson
    three Don's in one spot. I think I'm going to faint.
    Just a regular guy.

mtbr member
    damn that cream front red rear one is noice...all nice!

mtbr member
    Mcclung = My new obsession

mtbr member

Help with colors...

I don't know if this will help, but it was useful for me. Below is a link to Curtis Inglis' (Retrotec) flickr site. He has a great eye for color in these retro point masking formats. Browse through his sets. There are some great things in there.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21228831@N05/sets/

Enjoy,

TCN

mtbr member
    All you McClung riders are badasses. I would never think of riding a full stiffy on anything but road. How do you fare trying to stay on the bike during the really bumpy downhills, with just platform pedals?!

Witty McWitterson
    Probably the same way these guys did:

^^stolen^^ from seekay's website. Visit it. http://www.sonic.net/~ckelly/Seekay/mtbwelcome.htm

//on with the McClung show!
    Just a regular guy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. DiCenso
    All you McClung riders are badasses. I would never think of riding a full stiffy on anything but road. How do you fare trying to stay on the bike during the really bumpy downhills, with just platform pedals?!
    True suspension has been around for less than 20 years, bicycles have been around for ??????

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by ~martini~

^^stolen^^ from seekay's website. Visit it. http://www.sonic.net/~ckelly/Seekay/mtbwelcome.htm

Nice pic Marty! Even if you done stoled it...

I rode Pearl a buncha times when I lived there in the '90s. Most often it was ridden with a group on our 'regular' mtb's, but I did it once on a Scorcher and that changed my view of the 'early adopters' quite a bit. After that ride I understood why they self-medicated before every ride, and had safety meetings after every climb...

Say Marty--speaking of McClungs--send me an email when you get the chance...

info at lacemine29 dot com.

Cheers,

MC

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I don't know if this will help, but it was useful for me. Below is a link to Curtis Inglis' (Retrotec) flickr site. He has a great eye for color in these retro point masking formats. Browse through his sets. There are some great things in there.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21228831@N05/sets/

Enjoy,

TCN
    Cheers Timmy. Some nice stuff there. I started out thinking of going for something quite personal... But that would involve too many colors and end up costing as much as the frame. Then I thought, "Hey I love the colors on the Porsche 911 GT3!" but when I photoshopped the black and orange onto a frame it looked like a toxic popsicle. I moved on to my next love... beer. So now I'm thinking of a combo that looks like stout... a soft black and cream...

mtbr member
    BEST THREAD EVER!

your bike looks great. hope to see you on july 4th!

what bike is shelman riding in those pics? not used to seeing him off his don bike.

mtbr member
    my buddy scotts don bike he got a while back. he loves it. sold all his other mountain bike and only rides this sweet steed.

Don Mcclung Bike

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ~martini~

I had to do a double take, looks like the typical Sunday Sub Culture ride crew...

Cheers,
    P.T.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by xcutterx
    BEST THREAD EVER!

your bike looks great. hope to see you on july 4th!

what bike is shelman riding in those pics? not used to seeing him off his don bike.
    I believe he calls that the White Sheep, he built that when he was working with Black Sheep.

Cheers P.T.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Here is a short feature on Don McClung

From BaseCamp Colorado: http://www.basecampcolorado.com/Base...ple-DonMc.html

Two Wheeled Passion
    It would be a fair guess to say that we’ve all got people in our lives that have an distinctive effect on us. Some are good and some are bad. We are drawn to them. There is a odd security in all this. Don is one of those for me. The exact, or even approximate, date, time or event of our first meeting is a little fuzzy. Such knowledge is seldom really useful. In Don’s case it doesn’t really matter. He is more of a constant, easy grinning, slow moving energy that seems to have been around here forever. Sometimes I have to visit to get a dose of his bicycle passion. Thus my passions are re-excited. For me, his passion, knowledge and love of things wheeled is a catalyst. Passionate people need other passionate people to reignite their passions. Chatting with Don in his shop behind he and Annabelle’s house on the river is an education. Bikes and bike parts decorate the tidy building. An ancient woodstove & Buddy the Dog add comfort and a tendency to linger. The lingering is always worthwhile. I always leave Don’s shop energized and educated in bike lore. Most of us equate bikes to youthful, playful times. Don senses their engineering magnificence and the impact of the human/bicycle bond on human society and science. Plus Don loves to ride. If you check out the Mountain Bike Hall of Fame in Crested Butte you’ll see his pic. Smilin’. He was pushing over the edge of biking back then. He still does with his custom 29 inch one speed bikes. “The original bikes were 29” so they’d roll better on the bad roads of the time,” he explained - again. This crusade, like any crusade, requires repetition. Don’s style has little regard for current biking trends and fashions. They are not a part of Don’s equation. As with many out this way function over fashion is a rule regularly heeded. The bikes Don builds are as unique as Don. They represent his biking thoughts in physical form. As for Don, the reason he’s our featured ‘Recreationalist’ is his passion and ability as well as willingness to share. He can still outride most riders at an age most folks are just talking about what they did ‘way back when.’ That’s fantastic.
    No matter his physical age, his mind, imagination, and most of his body are youthful.

Don, thanks for the inspiration. -Jim

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Hey PT, know these Don's?

Both of these were on the Spectrum Powderworks site. I'm still mulling color choices...

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by al415

Both of these were on the Spectrum Powderworks site. I'm still mulling color choices...
    The top one looks like Dr. Matt B's, and I'm not sure of the bottom one, I really like the chrome detail on Matt's.

Cheers,
    P.T.
    I need to suck it up put on the sorels and get out for a ride...

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Good god this thread rules. That orange and black Don is incredible.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

I really like the color combination of that retrotec. Of course, before I saw the retrotec I was thinking "hey, I'm a paddy-alcoholic why not go with an appropriate color combo" so I considered a "guinness" colored bike? Dark dark, port-like brown to black with a cream contrast. Then I moved to "hey, I have a few Rapha jerseys, and I love the way the subtle pink details show up in the serious black jersey" .... But tonight, I'm thinking that grey and cream looks good for my McClung

mtbr member

You just really made me smile...

It just so happens that this is the exact photo I sent Tony as inspiration for this... but requested more of an grey tinged-olive drab and bone.

I think someone said: "Subtle-the new bold"

It's a great scheme for this ride.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    It just so happens that this is the exact photo I sent Tony as inspiration for this...
    Really? Thats great! I'm also thinking of just sending them (spectrum powderworks) my favorite rapha rain jacket, which is the same colors but with a couple of bits of pink thrown in for good measure. Your bike and my bike (when it's done) may have to get together for some pictures somewhere down the road!

Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast