Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Thread: My new McClung

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ptwood
    Off the top of my head I can count ten friends that I really respect as Cyclists that own Don Bikes. The one common thread I always heard from them when asking about their Dons was once I got my own I would get it and I guess that is the best description I have heard yet. It truly is a whole other experience that I really was not expecting to be as good as it is... P.T.
    You're a better writer than you give yourself credit for. Thanks for taking the time. I've sent a letter to Don, we'll see how it goes. I've been singlespeed only, in the woods, for a while now. My regular ride is a 96 Bontrager. I drank the big wheeled kool-aid a while back and bought a haro mary ss. I gave the Mary away and started shopping nice custom frames. Since I've become enamored of the cruiser style bike my main concern is whether or not they have to compromise the handling of the bicycle in any way to allow for the right "look". I doubt guys like McClung and Tony Pereira would allow form to dominate function in such a way, but it’s something that has been on my mind. Thanks again, and you should keep this thread alive for as long as possible: “Cleaned # 49” “Put air in tires”…

PS Hey PBR' thank you!

mtbr member

Talk to them...

I went through this a year ago; wondering whether the vanity of a custom cruiser style frame would translate to a bike I'd love to look at but wouldn't ride. I looked long and hard at Retrotec, Don and Tony's work. It wasn't until I spoke with Tony that I actually made my decision. To begin with I preferred the form of Don's and Tony's bike relative to Curtis'. I ultimately opted to have Tony do the build for a couple of reasons primarily related to options.

First, I really like the lug work that Tony does on the middle tube, not to mention the internal hose routing, and from a performance point of view, the discs. Tony has been great to work with, very thorough, always answered my (sometime ignorant) questions. The hardest part is the wait. The actual build has gone quickly once my name popped up in the queue and the bike is currently at the paint shop with delivery anticipated around Thanksgiving.

BTW-The original is Tony's personal bike so I'm sure he could describe in detail the handling characteristics relative to a typical frame. I believe mine is only the second one he has ever built and I can't wait to get my hands on it.

Good Luck.

TCN

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Timmy, you'll have to start a "My new Pereira" thread when it arrives!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut
    Noobie question here. What is the piece of tube that goes from the front axles to the top of the headtube?
    Ahh yes the struts, as I understand it, because Don uses a fork tube designed for road bikes and puts a pretty radical bend close to the bottom (for flex and vibration dampening) the struts become useful for extra reinforcement, plus they look sweet. Of course For the real scoop you would have to ask Don.

Cheers
    P.T.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    a few more pictures...

this weekend high above Salida looking for a new winter loop...

Today after a quick late afternoon Silvercreek Rainbow in the mud and snow...

and with #49s friend #14(13)...

Cheers,
    P.T.

ps Timmy looking forward to seeing pic of your new ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by al415
    You're a better writer than you give yourself credit for. Thanks for taking the time. I've sent a letter to Don, we'll see how it goes. I've been singlespeed only, in the woods, for a while now. My regular ride is a 96 Bontrager. I drank the big wheeled kool-aid a while back and bought a haro mary ss. I gave the Mary away and started shopping nice custom frames. Since I've become enamored of the cruiser style bike my main concern is whether or not they have to compromise the handling of the bicycle in any way to allow for the right "look". I doubt guys like McClung and Tony Pereira would allow form to dominate function in such a way, but it’s something that has been on my mind. Thanks again, and you should keep this thread alive for as long as possible: “Cleaned # 49” “Put air in tires”…

PS Hey PBR' thank you!
    al415 I really don't think you can go wrong with one of Dons bikes as for handling and performance what more can I say I think my Yeti 575 is going up for sale....

Cheers,
    P.T.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Great pictures. My trails are dark, wet and covered in leaves at this time of year. Not that I'm complaining.

Hey someone earlier in the thread asked for pictures of properly attired McClung riders, I agree. I've just started wearing vintage wool knickers (like golfers and XC skiiers used to wear). They are perfect at this time of year: Wool, short, not skin-tight and with a pair of bike shorts underneath they are very comfortable. Anyway.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Oh and one more thing...

Do you have a picture of the headbadge yet?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by al415
    Do you have a picture of the headbadge yet?
    I have seen the drawing, pretty much the same as his t-shirt (a pretty rare commodity) if I can get a photo i will post it.

Cheers,

P.T.
    ps we have a pretty good size rally of folks riding dons going on a mini epic tomorrow so I will try for the photo of those with proper attire.

mtbr member

Geez, I miss....

Colorado.

Seeing that bike in the context of those "hills" makes me very jealous.

As for the Pereira, absolutely. Although it is going to start out life geared (yeah, yeah sacrilege I know). So maybe on the 29er page. Regardless, I'll be certain to post a few.

BTW. I'd love to see lots of bits from the "mini epic". I never get enough of these bikes.

TCn

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy
    Colorado.

Seeing that bike in the context of those "hills" makes me very jealous.

As for the Pereira, absolutely. Although it is going to start out life geared (yeah, yeah sacrilege I know). So maybe on the 29er page. Regardless, I'll be certain to post a few.

BTW. I'd love to see lots of bits from the "mini epic". I never get enough of these bikes.

TCn
    The closest I have made it to CO, is New Mexico. The army used to send me to the desert there in the 1990's. I've always had an affinity for the place though... Yeah these bikes, and Tony's Pereira's bike, combined with the Colorado backdrop just make me feel good about mountain biking in general. I have no problem with gears, shoot me a PM when you start your 29er thread (I don't get over to that forum much)... As for the pictures of the mini-epic, it's been a day. I'm thinking bear attack or avalanche.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    No bear attack or avalanche mostly bad weather everyone but Matt and I wimped out and it was way to cold to take pictures but non the less a great bike ride was had. I did go into one corner a bit hot near the end of our ride and went down HARD #49 suffered her first scratch and I bent a brake lever but it was a pretty worth crash so I can accept the minor cosmetic damage.
    The weather is looking much better for tomorrow so hopefully a more fully documented adventure will ensue.

Cheers,
    P.T.

mtbr member

Pereira Teaser

Tony Picked it up from paint yesterday.

It is perfect. The link to his photos is below.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pereira...7609680893487/

Needed Less ~ Did More

Damn thats lovely! Amazing colour, great forks...makes me want to build another bike! Be sure to post some complete pics ASAP.

SSP
    "Put any one on one of these singlespeed bikes and they could not help but have fun"
    -
    Otis Guy talking about klunkers c1976

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I love this thread. Showing the most beautiful bikes around. Keep them coming.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

More hand made goodness.

Tony Picked it up from paint yesterday. It is perfect. The link to his photos is below.
    That's stunning. Tony really is a craftsman in the truest sense. This is my all time favorite MTBR thread! May it live forever

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

A beauty indeed and the King BB wow I'm thinkin #49 would love that bit of jewelry!

Cheers,
    P.T.

mtbr member
    WOW! McClung and Pereira make some of the most amazing bikes in the world! Keep this fantastic thread going!

mtbr member

Thanks All!

I'm incredibly pleased with the way the frame, fork and stem turned out. Tony really out did himself on this build. Definitely worth the wait.

Both of these builders are exceptional in their own right and it's great to see the bikes side by side in the same thread. While the frames have a similar form they each have distinctive personalities.

I'm going to be completing the build and will be certain to post images of the final product once completed.

Thanks again,

TCN
    Last edited by Timmy; 11-24-2008 at 10:18 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    A few pics from Saturdays ride...

Near the Top of Cottonwood with Methodist in the back ground

About to start the fun part of Cottonwood. Still looking across the valley at Methodist mtn.

Looking at Salida from the north side of the valley

Looking at the second half of the ride about halfway up the mountain across the valley

The fellows waiting for me at the top of Bear creek and the start of the Rainbow trail, 3 McClungs,1 Black Sheep, 1 Pereira, and a couple of Jamises

Matt sporting the Classic look

And looking the other way across the valley from the south, pretty much all downhill home from here

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Nice...

That looks like a fun time. I've started to gather parts for my Don bike. I picked up a set of Phil Wood SS hubs the other day. Guess I need to source some Open Pros now...

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    So #49 got out with #10 and #46 for a loop this weekend ....

got to love ski season in central Colorado

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Awesome!

Don should have my deposit by now. I doubt there are too many of them here in the East. When I rode yesterday there was snow on either side of the trail and nice frozen mud underneath my tires.

mtbr member
    Sweet bikes and ride shots!

Question for all you McClung owners: Almost every McClung I've ever seen posted has flats on it. Were you running flats before your got your bike from Don or is it something that just goes with the bike so well that you switched after getting your McClung? Just wondering?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by CJones
    Sweet bikes and ride shots!

Question for all you McClung owners: Almost every McClung I've ever seen posted has flats on it. Were you running flats before your got your bike from Don or is it something that just goes with the bike so well that you switched after getting your McClung? Just wondering?
    I have flats on my Yeti ASX and clipless on my 575 so I had been going back and forth for a while but on the Don it really goes to tradition and I think the ribbing you might get if you put clipless on one. Other than that it is nice if you have to get off and hike to have tennis shoes on, but that doesn't happen very often ...
    We had a great ride up Bear Creek to the Rainbow today with heavy snow just at the end so maybe the last loop up there this season. Powder tomorrow? It's tough to find time to work around here.

Cheers,
    P.T.

Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast