Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Thread: My new McClung

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I'm going pretty traditional all the way around, although I agree drop bars could be sweet.

Cheers,
    P.T.

mtbr member
    Amazing!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Smile built!

I drove down to the Springs on Thursday and picked up my freshly painted Bike!! Thanks to JT and Liz at Spectrum for getting it done so fast and the awesome job.
    Friday Jason down at Subculture Cyclery help me scrap together a bottom bracket, cranks, a stem and tires to use until the ones he ordered for me arrive. Then he pressed the headset in and put the bottom bracket and cranks on for me, after that it was off to my living room for a few beers and some assembly... this morning I took the nearly built bike down to Dons shop to get the final seat tube fitting done.
    Right after that I headed up to ride Cottonwood it was better than I could have ever hoped!
    So here you go... and yes I know the tires are on backwards, you know a few beers pressure to finish and get to Anna's halloween party etc. I'll fix that tonight.

getting close...

done, post ride this afternoon

holes for the head badge when it arrives...

and all cleaned up and ready for tomorrow

Next week the rest of my parts should be here and hopefully I will have settled on a stem size.

I really need to thank Don McClung for sharing his incredible knowledge on an amazingly wide range of topics from bikes and bike history to brazing and blacksmithing and a hundred other topics.

I will post pictures when I get my parts on and when the head badge shows up.

Cheers and thanks for looking,

P.T.

is buachail foighneach me
    16.5" chainstays??

looks purtiful. thanks for sharing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    yes 16.5" chainstays 40.5 inch wheelbase...

Witty McWitterson
    That is just so damned good looking. Just looks right. Ride the hell out of it, eh?
    Just a regular guy.

mtbr member
    My bike is all of a sudden looking like crap.

mtbr member
    Wonderful craftsmanship and paint. Very unique lines, not sure if its my cup of tea.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Beautiful bike, indeed...just a little curious as to why the platforms? All (three) photos I've seen of McClung's have had platform pedals. Got me thinking of changing out my clipless & trying some nice platforms.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by luckylarue
    Beautiful bike, indeed...just a little curious as to why the platforms? All (three) photos I've seen of McClung's have had platform pedals. Got me thinking of changing out my clipless & trying some nice platforms.
    Pretty steep hills around here so tennis shoes are easier on the hike a bike sections, it is traditional as well although most around here have broken form the helmetless tradition

Cheers
    P.T.

Hairshirt Rider
    Another beautiful bike from Salida.

Quote Originally Posted by ptwood
    Pretty steep hills around here so tennis shoes are easier on the hike a bike sections, it is traditional as well although most around here have broken form the helmetless tradition

Cheers
    P.T.
    You should post some photos of properly attired McClung riders.

mtbr member
    Hey I have a question. I was out in Colorado Springs about three years back and saw my first two McClungs before I had ever even heard of them. It was at Brians Bicycle Repair. It is right down by the train depot right next door to Charmichael Training Systems. One thing I've noticed on all of or most of the bikes are Mavic Open Pro rims being used and either Shimano DX pedals or just nice flats. The V-brake thing is perfectly understandable, but I'd like to be clued in on what the deal was with these common details.

I'll have to grab my old computer to post some pics of those two older machines.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ia_ss157
    Hey I have a question. I was out in Colorado Springs about three years back and saw my first two McClungs before I had ever even heard of them. It was at Brians Bicycle Repair. It is right down by the train depot right next door to Charmichael Training Systems. One thing I've noticed on all of or most of the bikes are Mavic Open Pro rims being used and either Shimano DX pedals or just nice flats. The V-brake thing is perfectly understandable, but I'd like to be clued in on what the deal was with these common details.

I'll have to grab my old computer to post some pics of those two older machines.
    The yeah the Open Pros are what almost everyone I know is running on their Don, lite, narrow and not to expensive. Plus if your brakes wear through them in a year you know your getting out enough . The flats for comfort, and steep hills...

Cheers,
    P.T.

Hairshirt Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by ia_ss157

This interview from 2004 provides a bit of insight - http://www.dirtrag.com/print/article...egory=web-only

mtbr member
    Thanks guys. That is some good info. I definitely always liked my old 517's for holding a true forever even with revolution spokes. I still can't imagine going back to my flat pedals though.

By the way I love the look of the bike! I have never really liked the look of the cruiser style frames, but McClung definitely captures a piece of nostalgia for when I first started riding. I know that was only 1998 but mountain biking had such a different feel back then at least for me.

Thanks for the article as well. I think that good old Don might be a little more modern in his thinking than he figures. Being a mechanic the last thing I want to do when I get off work is get on my bike and realize I need a new chain, cassette or that it has been 150 hours of riding since I overhauled my fork and it feels like crap.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    A truly wonderful machine. Enjoy it!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    This is indeed an amazing beautiful and interesting bike. The story is great. Don is definitely one of the interesting builders for me. Enjoy the ride and I never get enough of these pictures. So more please....

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Last Saturday #49s first Bear Creek ride, I'm sill sportin the Halloween comb over!

Yeah that is Micheal Phelps.

Have I mentioned how much fun this thing is to ride? Wow...

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    What... a McClung with no kickstand and coaster brake. Whats the world coming too

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Hey PT, beautiful looking frame. How about a nice detailed ride report? I'd be most interested in how it feels in tight and technical conditions compared to a traditional diamond frame bike. Any standover issues at all?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I've never figured this out... Anyway, my original post got stuck somewhere in the middle of the thread... yesterday! My question for you was about standover and how it handles tight and technical singletrack? It's a beauty by the way!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by al415
    I've never figured this out... Anyway, my original post got stuck somewhere in the middle of the thread... yesterday! My question for you was about standover and how it handles tight and technical singletrack? It's a beauty by the way!
    Switch to "linear mode" (see upper right of page) and you'll see both of your posts at the bottom of the page.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by al415
    Yes you are correct the stand over is fairly tight, although it has not been a problem so far. From a technical point of view I am sure there is a reason for the high stand over either raising the head tube or lowering the seat stays(?), I will have to ask Don about that. As for how it rides, I haven't ridden a standard diamond frame in years (93 stumpjumper M2(3?) ) so not sure I can give you a fair comparison, the other Mt. bikes I ride currently are a Yeti 575 and ASX, as well I am not the best at descriptive writing sooo, with those qualifiers I will try to answer your questions from the original post.

Climbing, one word WOW, fast, efficient, really locked to the ground I am enjoying going uphill as much as I every have. The 32-18 is a bit much on really steep hills but I will be going to a 32-20 soon and hope to build a bit more power in to my legs.

Descending, again WOW I assumed that going from my 575 to fully rigid I would slow down on the descents, I was wrong, while I am not able to just mindlessly bomb straight down the hills anymore #49 is so tight and quick to react that finding the smooth fast line is not only no problem but what I want to do. I guess the best analogy is that it is like it is on rails or perhaps like carving turns on groomers skiing. It is however just about always ready to punish me for not paying attention, It definitely rewards with amazing precision and flow.

Cross country, on flat to rolling terrain I feel like I am flying I simple can't get enough it just feels great, I have a hard time stopping,

Off the top of my head I can count ten friends that I really respect as Cyclists that own Don Bikes. The one common thread I always heard from them when asking about their Dons was once I got my own I would get it and I guess that is the best description I have heard yet. It truly is a whole other experience that I really was not expecting to be as good as it is...

Cheers,
    P.T.

V-Shaped Rut
    OMG! Thank you, I've been on this site for years and the threads have always bothered me. Don't know why I never bothered to RTFM, living up to my handle I guess.....

Quote Originally Posted by PBR Streetgang
    Switch to "linear mode" (see upper right of page) and you'll see both of your posts at the bottom of the page.

Apr 2007
    Noobie question here. What is the piece of tube that goes from the front axles to the top of the headtube?

Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast