Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 ... LastLast

Thread: My new McClung

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Al, looking good!

This is what it looked like around here last week,

and after nearly 300 hours in the saddle since April I figured it was a good time to work on one of activities that #49 has caused me to neglect.
    My Brother, Dad and Hibb showed up friday night and we headed to the San Juan river at the crack of dawn Saturday and this is what happened...

After a few hours word of the vast superiority of our fishing skills spread throughout the trout population and they began lining up to surrender... Anyway it was a great weekend and pretty nice to stand waist deap in freezeing ass water for hours on end to catch fish you have to let go

Sorry for the lack of pictures of #49 but sometimes you have to diversify...

Cheers,
    P.T.
    Could it be that the mystery has been hanging out hiding in a whiskey shot?

Witty McWitterson
    I love this thread.
    Just a regular guy.

trail rat
    I'm waiting for mikesee to come stumbling in here pouting about the size of those fish.......

Great thread for the last year plus, started Sept. 2008. I'm looking forward to seeing it for the next two or three years as well.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by slocaus
    I'm waiting for mikesee to come stumbling in here pouting about the size of those fish.......

Great thread for the last year plus, started Sept. 2008. I'm looking forward to seeing it for the next two or three years as well.
    If it's around that long I'll break down and buy a camera

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ~martini~
    I love this thread.

Best thread ever.
    "He was a wise man who invented beer."
    -Plato

mtbr member
    You got me loving those McClungs. Hearing how great the rides are really makes me interested man!

And yes, this thread is awesome.

mtbr member
    Great Thread,
    I love these McClung's and have been collecting every pics of them I can ge my hands on.
    One day....

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    15" of fresh snow in Salida, it looks like #49 will be getting a break for a while. I dug out the ski gear this afternoon and am going for a tour on Monarch pass tomorrow AM so I can't complain but am thinking of the desert already...

Cheers,
    P.T.

Single Speed Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by ptwood
    15" of fresh snow in Salida, it looks like #49 will be getting a break for a while. I dug out the ski gear this afternoon and am going for a tour on Monarch pass tomorrow AM so I can't complain but am thinking of the desert already...

Cheers,
    P.T.
    What about phils world trail for snow this time of year? Would think that trail would still be rideable this time of year. Then again skiing Monarch pass sounds like a good time as well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by crux
    What about phils world trail for snow this time of year? Would think that trail would still be rideable this time of year. Then again skiing Monarch pass sounds like a good time as well.
    It looks like Cortez got a bit of snow but Phils I would think should be fine. I hear most of the Western slope riding is fine and Pueblo reservoir should be good as well in a few days. Skiing up on Monarch today was very good!!

Cheers,
    P.T.

Hairshirt Rider
    Skiing up on Monarch today was very good!!
    Poaching or skiing off the pass? Either way, that is a great start to the season.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Loudpawlz
    Poaching or skiing off the pass? Either way, that is a great start to the season.
    Poaching the area, probably top of the pass Saturday

Cheers,
    P.T.

SSolo
    Apr 2008
    I liked the Exiwolfs but they are pretty heavy so I went to the Saguaro which is similar, most of the time I like to run them traction in the back and speed in the front but I will mix it up some. I really like the way they roll and the traction seems fine, the front end will wash out but in a way that doesn't put me down very often.

Cheers,
    P.T.
    Thanks!
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    ARRRGGHH snow everywhere... and dark at 5, I miss spending quality time with 49 I might have to go to the desert soon...

Cheers, P.T.

mtbr member
    Be sure to bring the camera if you do.

mtbr member
    i have to close this thread as the longer i look the more threatened my bank account gets
    Req. Disclaimer: I sell Giant, Trek, and Electra bikes.
    Quote Originally Posted by ErrantGorgon
    The no-brainer store called, they want their question back.

mtbr member
    A Mc Clung is suddenly looking like my dream bike

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    It's dark by five here also. To make matters worse most of my favorite trails have been turned to soup by our first big rain storm of the season. So on Saturday I broke down and bought a road bike. An "entry level" bianchi, the Via Nirone 7. It's an aluminum and carbon frame, made in Italy and decked out with the appropriate amount of campagnolo (albeit athena). Anyway, on Sunday I got dragged around North West NJ and the Lehigh Valley of PA on a local club ride. It felt like a hammerfest and by the end I was reminded of how much more painful road riding can be when compared to the happy-go-lucky nature of mountain biking

We have had a day and a half of sunshine so today might be a good day to get out of work early and take # 51 back to the woods. In the meantime here is my new bike (far left) taking a coffee break at the halfway point of yesterday's sufferfest:

rigid bruce
    Nov 2004
    Hey al415, where are you riding that Don bike in NJ? I'd love to see it sometime. I'm in Morris County and ride Splitrock mostly, but the Tourne is right by my house and I'm usually there a couple times per week in the winter when I don't have a lot of time.
    I'm riding a 29er Curtlo SS and a Karate Monkey, both rigid, but I'm very tempted to order a McClung. I need to ride one a bit first.
    Does Don have a standard BB height? One of the reasons I ride rigid is I hate what high BB's do to the handling of bikes. 12" is as high as I'll go.
    bruce b.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Rigid
    Hey al415, where are you riding that Don bike in NJ? I'd love to see it sometime. I'm in Morris County and ride Splitrock mostly, but the Tourne is right by my house and I'm usually there a couple times per week in the winter when I don't have a lot of time.
    Hartshorne and Allaire are my local trails. I'll get up north once in a while, though I've never been to Tourne or Splitrock.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Four hour Thanksgiving shakedown on #51

I figure with PT getting more use out of his skis than his bike I should try and keep the flag flying. This morning I planned to ride with a few other people at Allaire State Park. When I got there that ride looked like it was going to be a very stop-start affair with lots breaks. Number 51 likes lots of momentum and these socially paced rides tend to be a momentum killer so I changed plans and rode alone. I strung a few loops together (which is what we do here on the east coast, with our compact parks) and had a great time. There was a bit of mud and plenty of wet leaves covering wet roots to keep me honest in the corners. Though it has to be said you can lean this bike over like it’s on a wooden velodrome!

When I was all done, heading back to the trail head to go home and clean up for work I met a few guys I know that were just heading out. This wasn’t going to be the socially paced ride that I avoided earlier so I decided to tag along. Of the six other guys two were on 29er SS, one on a 26 SS and the rest were on short travel FS bikes. As usual #51 made me look better than I really am, keeping me upright and near the front for the entire mudfest. Anyway, as I left my camera / phone in the car I didn’t take any photographs. So when I got back into town I figured I’d snap a couple just for you guys. I know they’re not up to PT’s standards, but let’s face it; he sets that bar pretty damn high!

The Eriksen post is going strong... As is my old Swift.

After my ride I stopped at a bakery for a cup of coffee and a dozen cupcakes.. the 13th was free so I figured I deserved it and the key lime icing kinda matched my bike

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    It is truly Thanksgiving when a new McClung post is issued!!!
    "He was a wise man who invented beer."
    -Plato

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks for the update. I was beginning to miss this thread

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Al, that's awesome, #51 is looking good with a bit of mud on her. Some of our trails have dried out so I have finally been getting back out, nothing to exciting but I will try and get some pictures up this weekend! Happy Thanksgiving weekend to everyone out in cyberland I hope you all get a ride or two in!!

Cheers,

P.T.

mtbr member
    I have recently re-entered the mtn bike scene with a 29er singlespeed (Raleigh XXIX), and I am loving this thread. The fly fishing pics made me want to sell the house and head West.

One question on the McClungs: is that what you would call a "truss" fork? If so, why the truss fork--other than the retro feel? My dream now is to one day be driving through the country side and see one of these frames at a yard sale (with a willing seller who does not realize what they have)

Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 ... LastLast