prawny

my new lil Vulture SS

Hi,

New to the discussion forum.

Thought I'd post a few pics of my newest friend.... a wee Vulture singlespeed.
    (sorry photo quality not great).

The idea was to replace my Voodoo Wanga convert which ALMOST fit -- I'm small, 5'2" so fit is usually a problem.

Criteria was fit, disc tabs, steel, cost, and last but not least... EBB so I can get rid of the chain tensioner that seemed to bounce around and incite chain mutiny at the worst times (lots of bumpy climbs in the great NW... ouch).

My friend, known to y'all as JRA, told me about Vulture Cycles in Bend, OR --
    ( www.vulturecycles.com ) -- I checked around and talked w Wade and Derrick and was sold.

I figured it'd be a challenge to build a frame that REALLY fit and so I kinda expected to end up w something close but not right on... but OMFG, Wade did it.

6 wks later FedEx brought me a beautiful baby Vulture ss that fits me me me!

What I've noticed so far.... I don't have to muscle this bike like the Voodoo convert -- I lean, it responds. I pull the bars, it goes up. I stomp, it climbs. Fewer rock taps w the EBB set high. AND no more smashing the naughty-bits. Happy happy sweat sweat.

The paint...
    Goin for an ocean theme and Derrick nailed it. Dark down low & lighter at the surface. Subtle waves/ripples along the top-tube/head-tube, hidden under the down-tube a small diver silhouette (scuby dude) bubbles overhead. AND if I look closely at the deep dark areas I find bits of seaweed, scaled patterns suggesting ocean critters, etc. Very cool.

Had fun building it up and now I'm lovin the ride...

~gabrielle
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Beautiful!

Great to have a bike that truly fits. Enjoy!
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

El Mas Chingon

Sweet

Awesome lookin' bike.
    Moots Cinco
    Vassago Optimus Ti
    Cervelo Prodigy

dirty hippy mountainbiker
    Looks VERY nice!!! Between exactly what you want and exactly what you want it to look like, you can't beat a Vulture.

-M
    Mike Henderson, Dirty Hippy Mountain Biker and part owner of Jet Lites.

mtbr member
    Wade has some experience with small frames... you're a bit taller than Katie, he built her frame years ago.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Whoa, gorgeous!

Reviewer/Tester
    That is a lovely job. Excellent result, and you sound very happy.

R.
    It is inevitable ...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Gorgeous!

That is one beautiful bike! Congrats!

mtbr member

I miss hangin' out at the Vultures nest...

I have to go visit Wade and Derrick more often, I love seeing all of the different bikes and paintjobs that come out of there...
    My Vulture 29er SS has brought me nothing but joy since I got it in January and my sizing was the opposite of yours, I'm 6'3" witha long torso...
    I didn't have a solid idea for paint so I had D-Rock paint mine like a blue Schwinn stingray, I'll have him do a new paintjob for X-Mas just because I can and try something different.
    Thanks for supporting Vulture Cycles, they are a couple of nice guys with a lot of talent as well as being my friends and nieghbors...
    Enjoy !!!
    ' Bend's dirtiest Acupuncturist '

bendoregonsinglespeeders

teamwebcyclery

mtbr member
    Wow. That's a beauty. Enjoy.

Jim

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Super nice

That's a very nice bike you have there.

Out of curiosity, what's the effective top tube? I too am small. I think I have the shortest arms in America.

prawny
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginz
    That's a very nice bike you have there.

Out of curiosity, what's the effective top tube? I too am small. I think I have the shortest arms in America.

Thanks! And sorry about the short arms thing. Someday science will do something about that. I know they're working on it. :)

Effective top tube looks to be about 21", same as one of my other bikes that we measured in prep for the custom frame build.

Turns out getting a custom frame wasn't at all traumatic as I'd feared. Wade and Derrick made it easy. Also turned out the simplest solution was once again the best, for me. Fit. Makes sense that the machine should fit and work w your own levers. Mine happen to be... smallish.

Worth every cent.

Thanks guys.

gabrielle

now known as P.I.-SSer
    Dec 2004
    great looking bike - and superb paint job!

looks even better dirty!

Quote Originally Posted by ieeee!
    Thanks! And sorry about the short arms thing. Someday science will do something about that. I know they're working on it.

Effective top tube looks to be about 21", same as one of my other bikes that we measured in prep for the custom frame build.

Turns out getting a custom frame wasn't at all traumatic as I'd feared. Wade and Derrick made it easy. Also turned out the simplest solution was once again the best, for me. Fit. Makes sense that the machine should fit and work w your own levers. Mine happen to be... smallish.

Worth every cent.

Thanks guys.

gabrielle

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

More questions:

Niiice looking bike. My gf is 4'10" and short arms/legs, so really tough to fit. Wondering what length cranks your using on your SS.

prawny
    Quote Originally Posted by davew
    Niiice looking bike. My gf is 4'10" and short arms/legs, so really tough to fit. Wondering what length cranks your using on your SS.
    Cranks. 175.

The convert (voodoo bike) started w 170s -- thot I'd try 175s and liked them better but got annoyed w more frequent rock touches (need ratchet skillz). I'm running the 175s on the Vulture but it has an eccentric bottom bracket that I've set to the "high" position and so far I'm noticing fewer rock crunches. Nice bonus. I use Crank Bros pedals that sometimes open when you make contact from below, so it's nice not to get ejected from the pedal while goin around/over stuff.

I'd switch to 175s on the geared bike too, but I'd have to brush off the spider webs. Gawd that creeps me out.

Wade sent me a pic of another bike he built for someone smaller than I (me 5'2"). If your gf is looking for a perfect bike, and like me had never ridden one that actually fit, she's no idea what she's missing and the FUN that awaits. Talk w Wade.

~gabrielle

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Good Stuff

Thanks for all the input. Post some ride photos, if you get around to it. I'd be nice to see small bike with rider!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

ahhh, the feel of a custom Vulture

Glad to see that you really did order one from Wade/Derrick. The ride that Wade puts into it is what keeps you in Love with it when on the trails and the look that Derrick puts into your Vulture is what keeps you in love with it when not riding.

methinks it is time for a murder of Vultures...

bike ON
    bob
    red-haze
    The more I know the more I know I don't know.
    Let the bike ride the trail, you ride the bike.
    Look where you want to go, not where you don't want to go.

Steamroller

That's one pretty bike

I think women should be entitled to beautiful bikes and a good fit. It looks you did well with both! I hope you will enjoy riding a made for you bike.
    [SIZE=2]Two Wheeled and Too Big[/SIZE]

prawny
    Quote Originally Posted by red-haze.com
    Glad to see that you really did order one from Wade/Derrick. The ride that Wade puts into it is what keeps you in Love with it when on the trails and the look that Derrick puts into your Vulture is what keeps you in love with it when not riding.

methinks it is time for a murder of Vultures...

bike ON
    bob

Yup, I did indeed. My question now is... why did I wait so long???

gabrielle

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Love your bike

That is some super nice paint. Was wondering what cranks you are running?