mtbr member

My fixed gear Contraption

Pretty much I just built up a new rear wheel. 700c Open Pro and a Surly hub. 1.25 front tire. I think it's kind of funny lookin right now. Sort of like a dragster bike. I put in 80 miles on it Sunday. It's a pretty stout wheel. Plus I will be building a 700c disc brake front wheel so I can put some cross tires on it. It should be good for SS training and a fun change of pace. Riding fixed gear is like a whole new world.

Last edited by williamf777; 12-20-2004 at 09:26 PM.

mtbr member

but...

Quote Originally Posted by williamf777
    Pretty much I just built up a new rear wheel. 700c Open Pro and a Surly hub. 1.25 front tire. I think it's kind of funny lookin right now. Sort of like a dragster bike. I put in 80 miles on it Sunday. It's a pretty stout wheel. Plus I will be building a 700c disc brake front wheel so I can put some cross tires on it. It should be good for SS training and a fun change of pace. Riding fixed gear is like a whole new world.
    that's all nice with spice and all that is nice...but you need a lockring there my man. If you so choose to try skid stops (modulating speed a la backwards style), you can unfurl the cog and brake your nad bag on the stem. Or top tube.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ernesto_from_Wisconsin
    that's all nice with spice and all that is nice...but you need a lockring there my man. If you so choose to try skid stops (modulating speed a la backwards style), you can unfurl the cog and brake your nad bag on the stem. Or top tube.
    I cant find the web site. But it showed the tecnique of wraping the chain around the cog while it is also wraped around the bottom bracket. With the wheel in the frame you can use the rim for leverage rather than a chain whip. You can tighten the cog on with more force than a skid can ever produce.

Old Bikes Suck!
    I cant find the web site. But it showed the tecnique of wraping the chain around the cog while it is also wraped around the bottom bracket. With the wheel in the frame you can use the rim for leverage rather than a chain whip. You can tighten the cog on with more force than a skid can ever produce.

are you afraid of the added weight from a lockring?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [SIZE=2]
    VDUBBUSRIDER
    San Diego, CA
    [/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]
    Keyesville Vintage Mountain bike race!
    http://www.ssfta.com/vintage-race.html
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]
    [SIZE=3]Anybody selling a Cook Bros. mtn stem? How about a blue Chris King Theaded headset? [/SIZE]
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    I dont currently own a lock ring. The surly lock ring costs money. If I can ride my bike safely with out one, why spend the money.

mtbr member

you got...

I dont currently own a lock ring. The surly lock ring costs money. If I can ride my bike safely with out one, why spend the money.
    issokay. You've got yourself there a trusty rear brake. But it's just a safety issue to have a lockring.

Old Bikes Suck!
    i understand. is that a track hub with the special reverse threaded area for the lock ring or is it a standard mountain bike single speed hub.

if it is just a single speed hub use an old lock ring from a cup and axle style bottom bracket. your bike shop would have a bunch of old ones lying around that i'm sure they you give to you in exchange for a beer. slap some locktite on it and have no concerns.
    [SIZE=2]
    VDUBBUSRIDER
    San Diego, CA
    [/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]
    [SIZE=3]Anybody selling a Cook Bros. mtn stem? How about a blue Chris King Theaded headset? [/SIZE]
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Yeah the hub is just threaded for standard freewheels on both sides. I work at a shop so the old school B.B. lockring will be easy to find. The hard thing will be to find a Durache aluminum lockring. Thanks for the tip.

Old Bikes Suck!
    good thing you did'nt fork the dough for the surly lockring since it would'nt have fit anyway.
    [SIZE=2]
    VDUBBUSRIDER
    San Diego, CA
    [/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    The surly lock ring we have in stock threads right onto the hub. They must have 2 different styles. Or the lock ring we have is not a surly. Dunno

brother on a mission

I'm Curious about that rear brake. Is it a standard linear pull brake, or is it a special part to reach the 700c rim? I ask, because I have an old frame I wanted to set up similar to what you have, but it is built for a 26" rear wheel, and the only brakes I have for the frame are center pull cantilevers that will not reach the rim of a 700C wheel.

paintbucket
    http://204.73.203.34/fisso/eng/schpignone.htm

80 miles? How many teeth on that cog and on the chainring?
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

all hail der Fuhrer Bush
    Mar 2004

no lockring needed

Quote Originally Posted by ernesto_from_Wisconsin
    If:
    --you use a high quality track cog with a wide flange that has lots of threads, and
    --you install the cog on your hub using lots of LocTite 242 or similar medium-strength anaerobic threadlock,
    you will not need a lockring. Indeed, you will likely break your chain whip trying to remove it if you don't first heat the cog/thread area to sizzling with a soldering iron or torch.
    I don't have lockrings on my fixed gears, as I don't use dedicated track hubs because their locknut width is not correct for my frames. I can lean against the work bench while sitting on the bike. and literally jump up and down on the cranks, trying to force them backwards to unscrew the cog, without the cog budging one iota.

A disk brake on a fixed gear seems a tad overkill, but if you're using it because that's the fork you have and that's what it requires, I understand.
    Don't pay the $85 fee to ride land you own! Resist!

all hail der Fuhrer Bush
    Mar 2004

double disagree

Yeah the hub is just threaded for standard freewheels on both sides. I work at a shop so the old school B.B. lockring will be easy to find. The hard thing will be to find a Durache aluminum lockring. Thanks for the tip.
    I disagree that a BB lock ring will do anything. A force that will unscrew the cog will cause the lock ring to come off with it. That's why track hubs are reverse threaded, unscrewing a track cog tends to tighten a track lock ring.

If you do use a lock ring to make yourself feel better, I also disagree that an aluminum one is what you want. I should think you'd want a lock ring that you can really reef on when tightening, in hopes that it might do some good. That sounds to me like a steel one. It's not hard to strip an aluminum one when reefing it tight.
    Don't pay the $85 fee to ride land you own! Resist!

Kill your... television
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenfix
    I'm Curious about that rear brake. Is it a standard linear pull brake, or is it a special part to reach the 700c rim? I ask, because I have an old frame I wanted to set up similar to what you have, but it is built for a 26" rear wheel, and the only brakes I have for the frame are center pull cantilevers that will not reach the rim of a 700C wheel.
    You will notice that his rear brake doesn't line up with the brake tracks. If he were to pull it he would be braking on the spokes.

Paul makes a V-Brake which allows enough adjustment to match 700c rims on a 26" bike.

mtbr member
    The gearing is 36/13. The article posted above is the one I was refering to. The rear brake does not work. It is there so when i put my 26 inch wheel back on I can still ride it normally. Also with the disc brake this is my regular SS bike for mountain riding. I wanted to fix up an old road frame but got tired of waiting for a decent one to come around. I am still kicking my self for cutting up a Torreli and a Dave Scott Centurion.

your ankles are fat
    Aug 2004

not an essay

Use a LOCKRING!!!...IT WILL WORK WITH RED LOCTITE ON IT...front brakes aint gonna save ya--as your rr brake pads won't line up to your 700c wheel..

cool bike, lazzy mistakes.

Kill your... television
    Remove the rear brakes when you have the 700c wheel on there man. I could see an even worse accident happening than the lockring if your brake pad makes it into the spokes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm with BulC on this one, since you don't have a spot for a lockring just use a whole lot of locktite and you'll be fine. Also, you might want to disable that back brake so you don't accidentally use it and destroy your wheel/nads/face in an accident. Other than that it looks cool. Does the geometry feel funky with just the 700c rear wheel? Also, what kind of bb height are you going to have with the 700s on there? Cool ride though, its great to see people being creative.

I had a roommate a couple years ago in college (back when we were poor) who used a dual slalom frame, rigid fork, and 650c tri wheels for his road bike for a season because he couldn't afford a road frame. He certainly got some looks with that!

brother on a mission
    Quote Originally Posted by motoman711
    You will notice that his rear brake doesn't line up with the brake tracks. If he were to pull it he would be braking on the spokes.

Paul makes a V-Brake which allows enough adjustment to match 700c rims on a 26" bike.

Thanks,

I could not tell whether the brakes lined up or not, and I figured they must because they were on there.

I discovered the Paul brakes when I originally was toying with building up my frame, but $115 brake is hard to swallow on a beater commuter. It would also probably double the value of the bike.

Medium?

No way

that's going to hold up to skidding. No way.