leerer

New question here. my first SS conversion

So my Blizzard frame was just sitting there gathering dust after I stole most of its parts for my full suspension build. I really missed her and have been meaning to frankenstein her back together as a SS. Haven't got her on a trail yet but I'm super excited to beat myself up on it.

So check the pic. I was able to run the Convert in the recommended up position but could probably could use a half link for the chain to take some extra slack out. She seems tight enough but I really don't know how tight is right. The rear wheel was converted with the Gusset bikes kit, running a 33/16 gear.

Suggestions? Comments?

thanks in advance.
    MaxP.
    Attached Images Attached Images

contains quinine
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxPower
    So my Blizzard frame was just sitting there gathering dust after I stole most of its parts for my full suspension build. I really missed her and have been meaning to frankenstein her back together as a SS. Haven't got her on a trail yet but I'm super excited to beat myself up on it.

So check the pic. I was able to run the Convert in the recommended up position but could probably could use a half link for the chain to take some extra slack out. She seems tight enough but I really don't know how tight is right. The rear wheel was converted with the Gusset bikes kit, running a 33/16 gear.

Suggestions? Comments?

thanks in advance.
    MaxP.

Comments?

Looks great! I did the same thing to a hardtail that wasn't getting ridden much, and now it's getting a lot of time out on the trails. As far as the chain, I've just used an old der with a lot more chain (as I have changed the gears a couple times and it's easy this way), and it's only popped off once in 15 rides...

Enjoy it!
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

Shreddin the Cul de Sac
    That frame is a hottie!
    If I were you I'd try to find the magic gear that requires no tensioner.
    Or maybe save up the scratch for an Eno eccentric rear wheel.
    keep moving

leerer
    Thanks. But won't the chain eventually stretch and start coming off even if I find that magic gear?

An ENO rear wheel is a definite possibility at some point down the road...or should I say trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Burpee
    That frame is a hottie!
    If I were you I'd try to find the magic gear that requires no tensioner.
    Or maybe save up the scratch for an Eno eccentric rear wheel.

mtbr member
    Nice job! Beautiful bike.

(ff)

mtbr member
    That is a super nice ride you've got there. Love those Blizzards - do they feel as good as they look on the trail?

Shreddin the Cul de Sac

A little slack is ok.

I have a Surly, and I have ignored the drivetrain for months at a time. You'd be surprised how slack the chain has to get before it starts twisting off the cog.

I think if you've streched the chain that far it's time to replace it anyway.

I think there are conversion kits out there that will let you play w/ different cog sizes on a regular cassette hub. You can take the cogs off your old cassette, if you have one hanging around.

Thanks. But won't the chain eventually stretch and start coming off even if I find that magic gear?

An ENO rear wheel is a definite possibility at some point down the road...or should I say trail.
    keep moving

leerer
    I love the way she rides. I like to think of it as a poor man's IF.

bicyclist

Suggestions? Comments?

thanks in advance.
    MaxP.
    it's prettyful
    i want to eat it
    People who really know what happened aren't talking. And the people who don't have a clue, you can't shut them up.
    Tom Waits