mtbr member

My first single speed build!

I just finished my first complete build from the frame up. It rides incredible! I was on a GT Peace 9er before I bought this frame and I can't even believe how much of a difference there is. It's night and day. Here's how the frame came from the seller. It's a 2012 Specialized Stumpjumper Carbon 29 Single Speed Frame. The seller included the original S-Works carbon seat post, Romin pro saddle (road saddle on a SS 29er?) S-Works Carbon riser bars and this Specialized 90 Stem.

It came from the seller with this GXP BB Adapter. Had to remove this.

Just a few smacks with a hammer and a punch and it came out just fine.

Yay my fork finaly came in! It's a Rockshox Reba RLT 29er 100mm QR w/ Pushloc remote lock-out. I didnt really care for the remote lock-out but it was the only way to get a tapered headtube in 100mm QR 29. Lame :/

Yay Crankset is here! It's a Sram XX1 BB30 Q156 Crankset with a 32T chainring with tall single speed specific teeth on it, lightweight carbon and $200 on pinkbike! Beat that!

Got it installed! On the drive side arm it says "48-50 n.m" Can you believe that? that's like 450 Sq. Inch lbs. I had to pull out an old industrial Schwinn Torque wrench to install the cranks and it maxed out at 425 Sq Inch lbs! LOL. Hope my poor little PF30 BB can take it!

Not cutting my steerer tube til I get a chance to at least ride it around the parking lot. But here's what it looked like at this point.

Threw on some wheels from my old GT. They are a super burly OEM WTB wheelset that I'm scared to even weigh. But they set up tubeless fine and the hubs are freaking bomb proof. I'm trying to deal with a chainline/ spacing issue here

Here she is! I KNOW I KNOW! I have a flipped stem and riser bars, I am very aware of this. I will be getting some flat bars as soon as I can but this will have to do for now. Enough with that though! ITS TIME TO RIDE IT!!

In the Chinaberry parking lot at Palo Duro Canyon. SO EXCITED!

On the trail! This bike is SO AMAZING! I can't stop smiling the whole ride! I'm in love!

mtbr member
    Building some wheels worthy of this frame! I've already got a set of Stan's Arch Ex 32H rims, Surly SS Spacer Kit with Lockring and a Surly Stainless Steel 18T Cog on order from QBP. Can't wait to get these built up!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Nice build.

I really like my Romin saddle on my road bike. I'm not sure if I would like it on a Mountain/Cross bike because it looks like the back end can catch your "stuff."

Have fun!

VENI VEDI BIKI
    Very nice build!
    Veni Vidi Biki

I came, I saw, I biked.

mtbr member
    This bike has really changed my riding and my opinion on carbon frames. Coming from my old steel GT frame to this. Is amazing. The shock absorption of carbon is a world of difference. I will probably go to a rigid fork on this bike (if I don't put a brain on my reba). There's a particular trail that horses are prohibited to ride on but seem to have done so any way, and stamped a million pot holes about 3-4 inches deep all over the trail for about a mile. It used to rattle my freakin teeth out on my old frame. This thing just glides over it. It's unbelievable. I climb faster and with less effort, I'm not nearly as winded. My bike handling has improved, I can bunny-hop and manual better, maybe it's just that new bike enthusiasm that's doing it but this bike has changed my riding for the better in just about every aspect.

mtbr member
    Sexy beast!!
    www.getbusylivin.org
    http://www.prairiefireapparel.com

Guardian 2.0
    Redline Monocog Flight 29er SS (for now)

mtbr member
    If you think it rides great now wait until you put some better wheels on it...you're gonna freak !!

mtbr member
    I got a semi looking at those pictures of shiny things.
    Ghisallo Wheels

I'm really good looking.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 4nbstd View Post
    I got a semi looking at those pictures of shiny things.
    hah! you should try riding it! To think, the only problems I had was I forgot to tighten up my slider drop-outs and I had to tighten up my seat post and I have to put a teeny bit more tension on my chain cuz it slaps my chainstays when I take a hard hit. That's it! I expected so many more issues given my luck. I figured my cranks would losen up and strip out or I would have some god awful spacing issues or chainline issues. This build has blown away my expectations above and beyond. Specialized makes some amazing stuff. Love it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wrcRS View Post
    Nice build.

I really like my Romin saddle on my road bike. I'm not sure if I would like it on a Mountain/Cross bike because it looks like the back end can catch your "stuff."

Have fun!
    I've really liked it so far. I expected it to be less comfortable but seems to support my sit bones better than my old Selle Italia XO. It did catch my shorts a little bit but when I'm all kitted up in my bibs/jersey I have no issues.

mtbr member
    Wow. Very nice! Keep the pictures coming

mtbr member
    These just came in today!

Stan's Arch EX 29 rims.

Surly Single Speed Spacer kit and 18t Stainless steel cog

Now I just need $140 worth of spokes and $150 to pay the guy that will be building my wheels.

mtbr member
    VERY NICE build. I'd love to try carbon...not quite light enough to feel comfortable doing so.

mtbr member
    I think specialized frames have 250lbs weight limit. They also won't make a XXL (23") carbon frame either. BUT! They do have life-time warranties just like all their other frames. The life of a clyde cyclist is not an easy one. I can't wait to get my new wheels built! SO EXCITED!

mtbr member
    I have about 20 pounds to go then...lol...goal is 250 by end of summer. Down to 271 (this morning) from 320 at Christmas.

I'd be excited too. You have a top notch build going on there.

Abby Normal
    That's a super sweet bike, nice job. Definitely give it a try with a rigid fork at some point.

mtbr member
    Looks awesome! I'd run that rear brake hose on the other side of the stay (in case of a crash).

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Just curious, what chain are you running?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kmac720 View Post
    Just curious, what chain are you running?
    It's a Sram 8 Speed chain. I've read a lot posts about what chain you can and can't run with XX1 cranks in a single speed application and the 8spd chain works fine. No noticeable wear and I'm already 160ish miles in. Speaking of which I need to take a friggin day off... I'm so exhausted, even after a full nights sleep I feel drained.

Looks awesome! I'd run that rear brake hose on the other side of the stay (in case of a crash).
    It's this weird cable guide RockShox put on their 2013 forks, It directly routes the cable to the outside of the lower legs. I was like "wtf?" At some point I stopped caring about little things like that cuz I wanted to ride the damn thing so bad. I will see if I can't fix it tho

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Glad to see it all came together. Good build. Told you it was an amazing frame.

mtbr member
    It's the best, I see now why you went with a rigid fork on there, lol. It barely needs suspension. I find myself wishing my Reba was locked out half the time any way. I could shave another 2 lbs too. There's a few spots here at the canyon where I'd really miss having that front squish tho. If a fork as nice as yours falls into my lap I will surely make the switch but I think I'll ride it as-is for now

Trail Prospector
    Suhweet looking ride!

Must know though, how'd you get a factory warranty on a re-sold bike?
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyin_W View Post
    Suhweet looking ride!

Must know though, how'd you get a factory warranty on a re-sold bike?
    I didn't warranty anything O.o

Trail Prospector

Re: My first single speed build!

Quote Originally Posted by austinTRON View Post
    I think specialized (carbon) frames have 250lbs weight limit...
    ------
    BUT! They do have life-time warranties just like all their other frames.
    ------
    The life of a clyde cyclist is not an easy one. I can't wait to get my new wheels built! SO EXCITED!
    BUT!.. ^ this is what threw me.
    If purchased from an individual, not a dealer - how do / did you attain Spec's factory warranty?

If it wasn't registered, you may be able to contact the shop where it was originally sold to get yourself listed as the initial owner. Otherwise, IME you're unlikely to get warranty coverage.
    ...still is a great looking ride!

(by phone)
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

mtbr member
    Ah yes, currently I don't have privileges to a warranty sad to say. I bought the frame off ebay. I do work for a specialized dealer and I will be contacting our rep about finding the serial number and seeing if they will let me transfer ownership. I have a lot to learn about warranties, the corresponding process to fulfilling one, the required info and the criteria. I'm still the low man on the totem pole at the bike shop so I will have to pester my manager about it.