mtbr member
    May 2010

Is my crank on right?

I just had the shop install my new crank, a Race Face deus. I have a Monocog and I was not happy with the stock crank, I kept wearing out the left crank arm. My question is...is the left crank arm supposed to be all the way against the silver piece?. Looking between the arm and silver pice, it looks like there are gaskets, but if a gasket isn't tight then whats its point. I'm sorry I don't have a better description, I don't know the right names for some of the pieces and I'm not really familiar with how the crank set should look......my main question is should there be a gap between the crank arm and the silver piece?
    Thanks for any help!.........Eric

~Disc~Golf~
    there is supposed to be a gap - how much depends on the make/model.
    you can double check the tourque just to be sure.
    Honestly... ahh I give up

ups and downs
    On the Race Face Deus cranks there should be no gap, the rubber washers are the preload spacers, they should be in contact with the bearing. Shoot a picture of the drive side spacer setup. I'd bet there's only one 2.5mm bearing spacer on the drive side. Or they haven't tightened the crank bolt enough.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I had 2005 model. When you tighten the crank bolt (8mm) to a unmistakable "hard stop", there was no gap. So as Rocky says, they either forgot the spacer or didn't tighten properly.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    thanks for the feed back. The spacer on the left side is loose. I want to ride but don't want to tear up another crankset. The drive side is tight.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by hatake
    I had 2005 model. When you tighten the crank bolt (8mm) to a unmistakable "hard stop", there was no gap. So as Rocky says, they either forgot the spacer or didn't tighten properly.

I looked at the assembly instructions and there should be two 2.5mm BB cup spacers on the drive side. Guess i got to go back and ask where that spacer is.

SSOD
    Quote Originally Posted by Sawdust
    I looked at the assembly instructions and there should be two 2.5mm BB cup spacers on the drive side. Guess i got to go back and ask where that spacer is.
    Your 2.5mm spacers are installed, they are the black plastic rings in between the cups and your frame. But it looks like they put one on each side. Never used a Race Face bb so don't know if that's normal to have both on one side but I would think it would push your chainline out but an extra 2.5mm if you did. The spacers make a 73mm bb compatible with a 68mm shell. But I'm not sure if your left crank arm should have that space or not.

mtbr member
    According to the installation instructions looks like it's set up correctly, or at least mostly, but I doubt there should be any parts (spacers) loose as you describe...

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosstown Stew
    Your 2.5mm spacers are installed, they are the black plastic rings in between the cups and your frame. But it looks like they put one on each side. Never used a Race Face bb so don't know if that's normal to have both on one side but I would think it would push your chainline out but an extra 2.5mm if you did. The spacers make a 73mm bb compatible with a 68mm shell. But I'm not sure if your left crank arm should have that space or not.
    There should be a total of 3 spacers 2 on the drive side and one one the Left side.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    68mm shell should have 3 spacers - 2 drive, 1 non-drive
    78mm shell should have 1 spacer - 1 drive, 0 non-drive

2 spacers is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Sawdust
    The spacer on the left side is loose.
    This would suggest they forgot to tighten the BB cup. In your first pic, it does indeed look like it is not snug.

Edit:
    I would also find a new shop. Installing a crank/BB is not very complicated, and they f'ed it up in 2 serious ways (that we can see). Someone there is either incompetent or just doesn't give a crap.
    Last edited by spsoon; 11-01-2010 at 11:12 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I agree spsoon, Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Measure the BB shell widths, you can do that with a regular ruler, it should be either 68mm or 73mm. That tells you exactly how many spacers are supposed to be there. RF relies on the hard stop crank bolt to preload the BB bearings just right. Having loose cranks (not enough spacers) or loose bolt (not tighten to a hard stop) will destroy your bearings, and in worst case, you by stripping the crank off the spindle during pedaling...

mtbr member
    spsoon is right, there should be 3 spacers total, not 2....I was wrong in my first post, and I even looked at the instructions