Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2009

My Chris Kings are to quiet

I love the engagement of my CK hubs, but expected more buzz. How can I make them louder? I wish to only annoy those around me and I am rolling up on.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Got nothing, but I'm having the exact opposite problem. I wish my DT's would be quieter. Maybe you could just get a bear bell instead? Or there's probably an app for that.

mtbr member
    They get louder over time. Just keep riding them.

mtbr member
    I heard its the lube lol u need a thinner oil but I'm not sure. I'm in the same boat wish my kings would wake up the woods. Somebody dIY

mtbr member
    I love the sound of my Kings...my riding buddies not so much

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Why don't you like your riding buddies?!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Find out if you have the aluminum or stainless steal drive shell. Stainless steal is not as loud as aluminum.

destructionismyobjective
    Usually its because of the grease they pack in there.

If they're anything like dtswiss then over time as you ride the grease wears off and they get LOUD!

Or you could cheat and pull the freehub apart and wipe the grease out... not recommended but thats the cheater way... After about 200 miles my dts went from almost silent to distrubing the peace.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I have Hope Pro Evo 2 - SS version, and although people always say they're loud, I've gotten used to them. I'm actually considering Kings for engagement, but something tells me I'm going to miss the "white noise". Curious for those with DTSwiss, does anyone know how loud they are in comparison to the Evos?

I've read on bmx forums about cleaning out the grease for louder hubs, but kinda just doesn't seem to be a wise or practical thing to do.

meh... whatever
    it's common practice to remove the heavy grease in favor of lighter oil to maximize noise.

procedure to provoke the angry bee:

disassemble hub. thoroughly remove and clean ALL grease from the ringdrive and hub internals. reassemble with 2ml of lightweight motor oil or phil's tenacious.

"The meaning of life is to find your gift. The purpose of life is to give it away."

mtbr member
    Just ride and be happy those Kings are the best

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    Ha ha....Good one wollongongdave, they do not care for the sound of my hub...but seeing that they have drop off road riding just to ride their road bikes I might have to stick with the way you took it!

mtbr member
    I read this tread last night and decided to give a try. I have two identical SS Chris King hub both 2011 models. I used 20w syn oil and woke up the bees. It sounds soooo good now. A must do if you like noise pollution.

My hope pro evo are still louder and its a good fight with my I9 hubs not sure if the kings are louder.

Buddy has Profile elite with 200 plus POE and those sound amazing on the trail.

mtbr member
    Sorry and please forgive...my King hubs are on my geared mtb...I join this forum just to learn stuff about single speed bikes which I started a Ghetto build to see if I like it plus use as a neighbor hood ride with the kids...it has Lx hubs. But so far I kinda like it and my geared bike might change or pick up nicer parts for another bike....can you really have too many,I think not!

mtbr member
    I love my new King hubs. I feel like I'm in stealth mode.

mtbr member
    Mine was pretty quiet at first too, but now it's got some buzz going on. Like many have said, I'm pretty sure it was because of grease.
    Ghisallo Wheels

I'm really good looking.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5power View Post
    Buddy has Profile elite with 200 plus POE and those sound amazing on the trail.
    I just picked up a pair of these and am lacing them next week. Even spinning the driveshell in my hand produces ridiculous noise. How much time does he have on them? Any issues?

Rub it............
    Both sets of Kings that I used in the past (road and SS hubs) got louder as the miles racked up. Once I made it past the initial adjustment procedure plus another 50 miles or so, they started to wake up. After 200 miles, they were obnoxious.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by boostin View Post
    I just picked up a pair of these and am lacing them next week. Even spinning the driveshell in my hand produces ridiculous noise. How much time does he have on them? Any issues?
    He has over a year on them, has a set on his DJ bike and a set lace to flows on his trail bike no problems. Just tons of people asking him why his bike sounds sooo cool. Crazy engagements I get a set just for the sound. By far the best sounding hub.

mtbr member
    I have three King hubs, one super old (been on like four bikes, three wheels) on my XC with an alloy shell, one on my Turner RFX that is about 5 years old and on it's third shell (now steel) and my SS that is fairly old (disc adapter). My SS is the loudest but has been absolutely trouble free - and I haven't maintained that one. My XC is somewhat quieter, and I have gone thru that one a few times. My RFX gets a beating and it is quiet and comes loose often. There's like a micrometer of adjustment where it's either too tight or too loose. I've used their Ringworm drive lube and it seems to work well.

In regards to the quiet, I called CK and they explained they should be quiet(er) than what we usually hear (not sure why my t-shirt says "rolls with angry bee sound" though) and I should get it serviced at the LBS - but I'd rather do it myself - hence, don't trust many others.

I totally dig my SS sound and it make a killer noise echoing thru the steel frame. My RFX is quiet, then humms from time to time. So, all three of mine are different. Not sure if that helps...

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I have also heard it has to do with the weight of the oil. I've had them for 2 years and they are still pretty quiet. My Hope Pro 2 EVO on the other hand make a racket

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SingleTkr View Post
    I have also heard it has to do with the weight of the oil. I've had them for 2 years and they are still pretty quiet. My Hope Pro 2 EVO on the other hand make a racket
    I have Hope EVO SS, but considering Kings. In your opinion, is it worth the price difference to you?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenaustin View Post
    I have Hope EVO SS, but considering Kings. In your opinion, is it worth the price difference to you?
    I have had both.

I am a big fan of King's, but the Hope is certainly a nice hub.

unless you've got the $$ and it's no big deal, or some awesome deal presents itself, I would hang with the Hope that you've already got.

I got a good deal on a used set of Kings with Flows, and sold my Hope wheelset, and it only cost me a couple of hundred bucks or less.

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenaustin View Post

I noticed the difference with the Hope hubs as soon as I changed out the stock wheels/hubs that came on my kona unit. They engaged more quickly and do a good job.

Are they are as quick to engage as my CK? Not quite. Is that extra engagement worth the extra dollars? Perhaps.

I've only missed that little bit extra once on the last 6 months so I can't really say it's worth it for me. Both Hope and Chris King make fine hubs. I don't regret buying the Hope's and if I did it again I'd still go with them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast