mtbr member
    Apr 2006

My Black Friday Jabber

Some of my friends got together and bought me a new frame for my birthday. My 5 year old Karate Monkey was pretty haggard and they knew I needed and probably wouldn't buy a new frame until the old one broke. I just swapped around some of my bike parts from my CX and KM to put this together. I know I am all the way forward in my dropouts but I bought a new chain in the fall and I will replace this one after a while.
    The Build

Fork- Fox RLC FIT 15QR
    Brakes- Avid Juicy 5 Twenty6 Levers
    Rotors 208 Front 180 Rear
    Hubs- American Classics
    Rims- Velocity Blunts
    Spokes- DT bladed
    Cog- Surly
    Cranks- Shimano Deore
    Headset- Chris King
    Bars/Stem- Bontrager
    Seatpost- Salsa
    Saddle- WTB Carbon Devo
    Chain- Sram 8 speed
    Tires- Front- Nevegal Rear- Serfas Krest9

The bike weighed in at 26lbs which is about what I expected. I could lose a lot of weight in the tires but I like the tires and if I need to lose some weight I will drink my water bottle or go on a diet. I know all the parts are dirty but who cares. I can't ride it right now cause we have a little bit of snow up here in Winter Park but I plan a Denver or Fruita trip in the near future to put some scratches and dents in this new frame.

When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist.

mtbr member
    Nice build How do you like those rims? I'm running Blunts on my SS 26'er and absolutely love them. If I ever man up to get a 29'er (still flirting, haven't fallen in love with the big wheels yet) I'm planning on building up another pair.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Looks good! I need some friends like yours!
    Where's BAKERSFIELD?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I like the rims, I have dinged the rear one a couple of times on rocks but it still holds true. I bent the front one the last ride of the fall but we got it trued pretty good (still has a good wobble). It is still ridable. So all in all, they have held up to half a summers abuse. I do have great friends. I think they were concerned for my safety with my old frame.
    When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist.

US Soccer
    Quote Originally Posted by GRUMP73
    Looks good! I need some friends like yours!
    this is what i was thinking when i read that part.

think the only good thing my friends have ever bought me was a few beers/shots/drinks.

Members who have read this thread: 0