Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

my $1.07 SS build

i found an abandoned 95-96 GT Tequesta at a friends apartment. it was probably some college student's bike several years ago, but they left it there with a flat tire and a Kyptonite lock. i really wanted this bike, so 30 minutes with a scissor jack from the car took care of that:

this was hard work, got me all sweaty.

here is the bike in "before" condition:

first order of business was to get all the shifty bits off. the lever had built-in shifters, so i cut off the tabs where those went to make them regular levers:

post-op levers:

here's where the big bucks came in: bought a foot of 1 1/2" pvc pipe for $1.07. i could have saved that money and just used the cassette spacers that i found the next day. oops. i cut about a dozen spacers of slightly different lengths until i got a combo that lined up the cog with the chainwheel just right. it's a 32/17 ratio.

i then replaced the tires, seat, chain, brake cables, and tubes with parts from my spare parts stash and a few donations from the local bike shop spares bin. i re-packed the hubs and headset, cleaned the bottom bracket, replaced several rusted spokes on the rear wheel with shiny spokes harvested from a junked wheel, set up the rear derailuer as a tensioner, trued the wheels, sanded the crusty brake pads, etc. the seat post is totally seized in the frame, so whoever gets this bike had better like their seat right there!

here she is, finished:

oddly enough, i have this posted on Craigslist for $100 and no one wants it, but seven people have called about the crappy Mongoose that i am selling for $50. if someone had taken this bike in to a bike shop and had all that work and new parts put on, it would have cost them well over $200.
    Last edited by mack_turtle; 07-23-2009 at 01:20 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I'd understand liberating a bike to ride it or give it to someone.

But liberating it to sell it. Unethical methinks.

mtbr member
    double post.

mtbr member
    I might just end up giving it away. I had originally planned to give it away, then I got greedy. It was a lot of work, so I wanted to see if i could make some $$ first. I know a few poor college students who would probably ride with me but they don't have money for a decent new bicycle, so this might go in that direction.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Cool! I see no ethical problems with selling it though.... maybe barter for more parts in order to do the same thing with lots of bikes to give to lots of college students?

E !

nice job

The "before" pic reminds of bikes people bring in for"just a tune up."

mtbr member
    There is nothing wrong with flipping it for a profit. People do that stuff all the time. With houses, cars, motorcycles, etc

Ovaries on the Outside
    Flip it for some cash, cause you certainly dropped time and parts into the bike. I used to have the same bike, did about the same thing to it, and it was pretty decent on the trails. I bet WD-40 and judicious use of the hammer would get the seatpost moving around again and then spray the inside with framesaver, if it is not too late.

Think about picking up an 8 speed cassette and a cheap thumb shifter and try selling it again. SS in a bit of a niche.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Try PB Blaster to free the seatpost. It's made to free rusted parts.

mtbr member
    Nice work!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Strong work, dude. That's something to be proud of. I can't believe no one has bought it yet.

Ride Responsibly
    The dual action levers were worth more than the bike imo.

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    i would never have thought of using a jack to break it
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

thief!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    If you take the brakes off, JB weld the free hub together and Powdercoat it pink/orange/awful you can sell it for $500

SSolo
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ctaggart
    Try PB Blaster to free the seatpost. It's made to free rusted parts.
    X2 and let it soak for a couple days.

Nice job and nothing wrong with flipping it.
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Good work! Wish you'd come by my condo. There's a gaggle of bikes that have been obviously abandoned, chained to the bike rack at the side of my building. These bikes have weeds growing thru em, they're so OLD! (Think vintage 6 speed BMX bikes, ancient quill stemmed campus bikes with rusting chains, and of course, the obligatory non fixable old Peugot 10 speed). You can restore that crap, you're truly a maestro.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    20 year mechanics trick= Off Deep Woods Mosquito Spray! 100+ Seatposts and frames saved!
    [SIZE="6"]Rollin Outta Da 239! FloRida[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    What is that you did with the rear deralieur? ShouldI do the same thing if I'm coverting my bike?
    8 is great

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    What is that you did with the rear deralieur? Should Ido the same thing if I'm coverting my bike?
    8 is great

mtbr member
    May 2007

did they steal the house first then sell it?

Quote Originally Posted by spitfire
    There is nothing wrong with flipping it for a profit. People do that stuff all the time. With houses, cars, motorcycles, etc
    This guy did steal this bike, then put a bunch of time, parts and elbow grease converting it into a SS just to give it away? Right!! He did it to make some CA$H, who's he trying to kid?
    People do "flip" houses, cars and motorcyles,,,,,,,,,,even bikes. But they usually buy them, not steal them

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by elrancho66
    This guy did steal this bike, then put a bunch of time, parts and elbow grease converting it into a SS just to give it away? Right!! He did it to make some CA$H, who's he trying to kid?
    People do "flip" houses, cars and motorcyles,,,,,,,,,,even bikes. But they usually buy them, not steal them
    I dunno, from the looks of the bike in the first picture, it was either abandoned, forgotten, or stolen and locked away. Regardless, it certainly didn't appear that the original owner was coming back to claim it any time soon. From an energy standpoint, it is much more efficient to reuse and rebuild an old bicycle than build a new one. Letting the bicycle rust and rot until it's no longer salvageable seems to be the bigger crime to me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    you can get more if you call it "vintage".

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    that was my bike, and apparently i now know who stole it. The crappy appearance was merely a ploy to keep theives away, but apparently it did not work. Expect a visit from the PoPo.

organically fed
    So you stole the bike and posted about it on the internets, complete with pics?

Nice work. Darwin Award.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast