Ride da mOOn Moderator

New question here. MTB SS Flavor... 20, 24, 26, 27.5, 29, 700c, 36 or?

Not meant to be a battle of wheel sizes...

...and we're talking mt biking here, so what is your personal choice of wheel size you like to ride SS?

I find myself on the 29er the most, stable, just crank over anything in the way, recently I have tried to ride it more like a 26er, getting off the seat faster on short climbs and throwing it in to corners a bit early...

...but a spin on the ol' 26er is always a welcome treat bring back the quick twitchy handling whip it in and out of corners fun!.

My 27.5, needs to be ridden more, but to "me" it just feels like a slower 26er! I guess I need to try a shorter stem, a 90mm rather than 110mm.

It's all fun...

mtbr member
    I'm on a 29er but I haven't tried any other wheel size, so I can't say if I like mine over the others. I do know that on my geared bike, I greatly prefer 29" over 26".
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

mtbr member
    I'm on a steel rigid 29er with a carbon fork. I'm an SS noob, but I'm definitely hooked.
    Ride Bikes
    Drink Beer

mtbr member
    I am also on a 29r. I would absolutely love to try a 36r
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

Dive Bomber
    For off-road I ride 26" with 2.40 maxxis ardent feels and rolls like 700c but recently I use 2.25 feels like 650b.

For on-road I prefer 650b rear and 26" front with both 1.50 mostly for uphill, I still haven't found any 650b rims or tire in here yet but I am sure to get one someday.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    90% of the time I ride my 29. My 26 still holds a special place in my heart, though. I'm simply not as quick a rider on it. For the very technical stuff it can't be beat (It doubles as my trials bike). The 9'er is just faster, up and down, most trails.

nothing to see here
    Having gone from a heavy rigid 26 to a heavy rigid 29 about 3 years ago, I can't say I remember much about the way the 26er felt. I now own a light (8.8kg or 19.4#) 29er and I must admit it has crossed my mind more than once to try a light rigid 26er. I've improved immensely as a rider since the jump to 29, but I don't think it's as a result of the wheel size.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Both of mine are 29er flavor. However both are different built for different types of trails.

mtbr member
    For the style of riding that wets my whistle, I really enjoy 26" wheels. I ride with a 140mm fork also. All the 29er's I have ridden haven't had the pop and responsiveness I seek. Granted, there are a lot of 29er frames I haven't ridden. I am not against them either. If I was more into xc racing I would probably invest in a 29er.

~ B A D A S S ~
    36er is the way to roll, the rest are just kids bikes anyway. Sure it has the mass of a smaller planet, but once you get it rollin it will roll over even the largest car / joke

seriously i couldn't care less about wheel sizes, 26 is good for everything off road and 700c is good for on road applications because of the variety and availablility of parts for those specific genres. I just go with whats more available so i can get exactly what i want, this is much more important than a number which means jack **** to me. rode 29er mtb once for a whole 20 minutes, hated it and aint looking to try again. ever. what can i say.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

WIGGLER

36er!!

I have both a 29er and 36er SS and it seems to me the 3-6 wheeled bike rolls over everything and doesnt stall out as easy.

MTB SS Flavor... 20, 24, 26, 27.5, 29, 700c, 36 or?-dsc00218.jpg
    PAYASO 36er.....Live the Circus

mtbr member
    Out of my 3 mountain bikes, all are SS, 2 are 29er, and the 26er is a Urban/DJ/4x. So for distance , I prefer 29 but for airtime definitely 26.

Trail Prospector
    or ???
    Despite what we ride today - XC, AM, DH, FR, DJ.
    We all first rode a rigid SS. Share the love of bikes, and as adults are the vast minority.
    Am tall, so 29ers work best, and the rigid SS makes me feel like a kid again.
    Had lots of fun in a race using both a 12 & 16er, and yes beer was flowing..
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by todwil View Post
    I have both a 29er and 36er SS and it seems to me the 3-6 wheeled bike rolls over everything and doesnt stall out as easy.

]
    I was thinking of you when I read the title of this thread.

Hope that 24 tooth cog is working out fior you...

SPP
    Rigid.

WIGGLER
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowPokePete View Post
    I was thinking of you when I read the title of this thread.

Hope that 24 tooth cog is working out fior you...

SPP
    Haven't used it yet Im waiting on a 30t TI spider less HBC....but I can't wait to try it!!
    PAYASO 36er.....Live the Circus

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    i've ridden 26", 27.5" and 29"

29" is my preference....

my son likes 12"...
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

Clyde on a mission!
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM View Post
    my son likes 12"...
    12 inches being a foot, doesn't that make it walking?