mtbr member
    Dec 2005

MTB single speed help

Hi all

I ride my bike to work everyday

I have a Seven Sola SS MTB that I am trying to get up and running again

I bought a 48T SRAM Courier Powespline crank

This is compatible with the truvativ powerspline BB, I purchased the 68/113 mm version

Of course this combination doesn't work on my bike - the drive-side crank can't be installed because the chainring hits the drive-side rear chainstay

What are my options? I prefer to use the SRAM courier crank if possible as the price is right and it is 172.5 (also I attempted to install so I am not sure that it can be returned)

Do I need a new BB? Spacers? I can adjust my chainline at some level as I have a Chris King SS rear hub

Thanks in advance for any help

Will

Trail Junkie
    The Seven Sola is a mountain bike frame and most likely has a 68mm BB width. The problem is that the chainstays are designed to accommodate clearance for ~44T chainring and not much bigger. To make this work, you are going to have to add BB spacers to the drive side. Not sure how that will playout with your chainline at the back or the integrity of having enough threading in on the non-drive side..you may have to space the cog in the back all the way out.

The biggest problem with putting "road" equipment on mountain bikes are always cranksets with the chainring sizes and bottom bracket widths for chainlines.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy carbon
    Lynskey Pro29 SL SS
    Cervelo S2 Ultegra
    Salsa Selma
    Soul Cycle Dillinger Gen3

mtbr member
    I think a 48t is more of a fixie/hipster SS ring for a road type frame. This might be why you're hitting the chainring. You can maybe try a 5 bolt 130bcd 38t ring. I'm not sure if they make smaller to fit that bcd.

I'm not sure how tall you are, but imho, SS bike do better with a 175-180mm crank arm. More leverage and spinning bigger circles. I don't generate much force in the smaller arch personally.

If possible, i would return it and maybe get something like the Race Face Evolve SS or a Sram X.9 . The Sram you could even go spiderless with MRP Bling Ring or a North Shore Billet spider for a 104bcd.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Thanks for the replies!

I do think I am going to return the Courier crank - it will never work on my frame even with a longer BB spindle/spacers

Any thoughts about other options? What about the Shimano Zee crankset? I have the tools and I know how to install Shimano hollowtech BBs

I looked at the Race Face Evolve - it is nice - but don't necessarily need a bash guard for my commute

Thanks again for your input

Will

mtbr member
    Zee crankset is a downhill crank. BB spacing is 83mm. I don't know if it comes in a different BB spacing. You don't have to run a bash on any crankset. Just take it off. I would get the Sram X.9 and go spiderless (currently running the AKA spiderless). Or, take off the inner ring and its got a 42t big for your commute.

GXP BB is nearly identical installation as the hollowtech BB. Very simple. If i can do it, anyone can.