Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 43
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: zorro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    464

    Motobecane Outcast 29er

    Hi all,
    I did a quick search and couldn't find the info., but was wondering if anybody has the 2012 Motobecane Outcast 29er from bikesdirect? If so, wondering what size to get? I'm 5'8" w/a 30" inseam. I usually ride a 17 to 17.5" hardtail or full squishy, but understand the geometry of 29er's are a bit different. The two options are 15" or 17". What do you think?

    Thanks all.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    426

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: zorro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    464
    That's why I'm asking.

  4. #4
    Attack Position
    Reputation: waffleBeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    95
    I am 5' 9" with a 32" inseam and rode a 15" Outcast. I was a little cramped in the cockpit but had good stand over. It was a fun bike, but my On One Inbred 29er is better in pretty much every way it could be.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: zorro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    464
    Yea, it's sounding like I might be in the 15" zone. Sounds weird to think seeing how I'm used to getting medium's in the 26" world. Thanks for info.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,827
    Quote Originally Posted by zorro View Post
    Yea, it's sounding like I might be in the 15" zone. Sounds weird to think seeing how I'm used to getting medium's in the 26" world. Thanks for info.
    You might be better off looking around for another brand and get a 16" (some companies do even and some go odd for some reason) and it could be better. I got my 5' 7" wife a similar model and 15" seems to fit her well. Now I can ride it too, but it has a BMX bike feel to me.

  7. #7
    Spandex Ninja
    Reputation: webb-o's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    71
    I bet a 17 would work for you, at least as far as standover. You may need to get a few different stems to get the fit right, though.

    I have a 34 inch inseam and ride a 21-inch Outcast 29er. That is the same frame size I run on my HT 26ers. Enough standover to keep me confident on the trails...

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: zorro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    464
    Thanks Webb-O. I emailed bikesdirect to see what they think. I have a feeling either way I'll be messing with stem length.

  9. #9
    mnoutain bkie rdier
    Reputation: rydbyk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,711
    5'10" and I went 17". Fits me fine..

    Sounds like you may want to size down a bit...15" would probably be best..

    .02

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: zorro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    464
    Thanks again for the replies. Looking at the effective top tube length, along with standover...I literally am right smack dab in the middle. I think I could make either size work w/proper stem, but wondering which side I should error on....slightly too big or slightly too small?

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: zorro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    464
    Forgot to mention that I intend on using this primarily on dirt out here in Colorado...standing and mashing goodness.

  12. #12
    mnoutain bkie rdier
    Reputation: rydbyk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,711
    Quote Originally Posted by zorro View Post
    Thanks again for the replies. Looking at the effective top tube length, along with standover...I literally am right smack dab in the middle. I think I could make either size work w/proper stem, but wondering which side I should error on....slightly too big or slightly too small?
    always go smaller imo..

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,827
    Quote Originally Posted by zorro View Post
    Thanks again for the replies. Looking at the effective top tube length, along with standover...I literally am right smack dab in the middle. I think I could make either size work w/proper stem, but wondering which side I should error on....slightly too big or slightly too small?
    I prefer a little small compared to a little big.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: zorro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    464
    My decision may have been made for me, looks like BD is out of 17" outcasts. Only size left is 15". Only thing concerning is that I emailed BD my measurements, and they said they'd recommend the 17", and that the 15" might run a bit too small. He obviously said size is a personal preference (as we all know). So here's the difference between the two:

    SEAT TUBE, CENTER TO TOP 15 inch 17 inch
    EFFECTIVE TOP TUBE LENGTH 22.8inch 23.6inch
    CHAIN STAY 17.8inch 17.8inch
    FORK OFFSET 46 46
    HEAD TUBE ANGLE 71 71.5
    SEAT TUBE ANGLE 73.5 73
    WHEEL BASE 42.28 42.8
    STAND OVER HEIGHT 29 31

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,827
    Quote Originally Posted by zorro View Post
    My decision may have been made for me, looks like BD is out of 17" outcasts. Only size left is 15". Only thing concerning is that I emailed BD my measurements, and they said they'd recommend the 17", and that the 15" might run a bit too small. He obviously said size is a personal preference (as we all know). So here's the difference between the two:

    SEAT TUBE, CENTER TO TOP 15 inch 17 inch
    EFFECTIVE TOP TUBE LENGTH 22.8inch 23.6inch
    CHAIN STAY 17.8inch 17.8inch
    FORK OFFSET 46 46
    HEAD TUBE ANGLE 71 71.5
    SEAT TUBE ANGLE 73.5 73
    WHEEL BASE 42.28 42.8
    STAND OVER HEIGHT 29 31
    Nashbar sells a similar bike for the same money more or less ...

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: zorro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    464
    That's another optio SS Hack. Not to mention they are having a 20% off sales that ends today. So if anybody needs anything > $50...do it today. I got's some pondering to do. Heard really nice things about the Nashbar 29er as well. With the sale, I think it's something like $375 shipped. Just have to find fron suspension and perhaps I can get it around $500 all told. T

    Thanks again for everybody's input, does help.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,827
    Quote Originally Posted by zorro View Post
    That's another optio SS Hack. Not to mention they are having a 20% off sales that ends today. So if anybody needs anything > $50...do it today. I got's some pondering to do. Heard really nice things about the Nashbar 29er as well. With the sale, I think it's something like $375 shipped. Just have to find fron suspension and perhaps I can get it around $500 all told. T

    Thanks again for everybody's input, does help.
    For what's worth, people seem to love the Nashbar. It's actually an old SE Stout I guess.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: zorro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    464
    Oh...thanks for clearing that up. Was wondering why when I did a search on nashbar 29er, the SE Stout would appear occasionally. There was/is a mini following for that bike.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,827
    Quote Originally Posted by zorro View Post
    Oh...thanks for clearing that up. Was wondering why when I did a search on nashbar 29er, the SE Stout would appear occasionally. There was/is a mini following for that bike.
    They went to steel on the stout in recent years, but now it's toast.

  20. #20
    Low Rep Count
    Reputation: 1SPD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,938
    Well, I'm 5'9" with a 32" inseam and was riding a 17. It fit me perfect. I didn't feel cramped at all and the standover was more than enough for me. However, when leaving the Outcast and going to the Vassago I was in the same boat. They only sold 16 and 18. I opted for the smaller of the two which they actually consider at Small. I did have to buy a longer seat post which is almost maxed out (a 400mm post for crying out loud) but the stem length and everything else was spot on. I too vote to either go smaller or find a different frame that is in your exact size.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    5
    I'm 5'10 with 32" inseam and am riding the 17" outcast 29er... fits me good, but like others I concur with when in doubt, go slightly smaller...

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: zorro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    464
    Hey all. Thanks again for all your feedback. I went ahead and ordered the 15". Judging by the size you guys got, and me being 5'8" with a 29" inseam (30" at best), along with trying out (even if just in the parking lot) a few 29ers at my LBS, led me to think that smaller is better. 29" wheels sure do make the smalls feel bigger though. I've got a few stems to mess with to take care of any wiggle room in the cockpit. I'll update you on how she rides once I get it in case anybody else is in the same situation.

    Thanks again.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: zorro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    464
    Oops, one more question: are the rotors on the 2012 really 180mm? The only immediate upgrade I'm going to do is to put some BB7's on it. Dumb question, I would assume I have to get the 180mm and NOT the 160's?

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: zorro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    464
    I lied, have yet another question. Can the Surly tuggnut be used on this frame? Or any other tensioner?

  25. #25
    Low Rep Count
    Reputation: 1SPD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,938
    Nope! I considered a lot of different options and couldn't come up with anything that would work. I never really had problems with my wheel slipping mind you but once cranked down, the screws started creating indentations in the softer aluminum dropout. This became an issue if I opted to run a different size fw which required moving the wheel forward/back in the slider thus chewing up the area even further.

    My suggestion is to pick up some washers at the hardware store. My frame only came with the bolts and no washers (from what I was told by Bikes Direct is that none of them come with washers). This might help to save your frame a bit from the bolt heads grinding into it when they are being tightened down.

    I posted up a thread in the Moto section giving my review of the frame: Update on my moto review

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •