mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Motobecane FLY Team 29 Ti convert into SS

Has anyone successfully used the White Industy eccentric ENO SINGLE SPEED REAR HUB to convert a Ti Motobecane to SS ? Also using the eccentric disc brake caliper mount?

Seems like a nice way to convert a resonably priced Ti 29 bike to SS.

Mojo

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Man
    Has anyone successfully used the White Industy eccentric ENO SINGLE SPEED REAR HUB to convert a Ti Motobecane to SS ? Also using the eccentric disc brake caliper mount?

Seems like a nice way to convert a resonably priced Ti 29 bike to SS.

Mojo
    I'm not doin' it, but if I were, I think I'd use a Fwd Components EBB before I'd use a WI Eno eccentric hub. Two reasons...
    1) I think the FC EBB would be more "set & forget," especially if I like to change my gearing occasionally, which I do
    2) Ti is somewhat of a slippery metal and I wonder if the WI eccentric Eno might slip (hub ends against dropout faces)

Not knocking the Eno... I've never used one but think it's a great product. I just think the FC eccentric BB is a cleaner, simpler solution.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    2) Ti is somewhat of a slippery metal and I wonder if the WI eccentric Eno might slip (hub ends against dropout faces)

If this is the case, then you will have problems running the conventional geared axil/hub since they both use the same mounting dropouts.

Mojo

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Man

If this is the case, then you will have problems running the conventional geared axil/hub since they both use the same mounting dropouts.

Mojo
    Well, I'm probably missing something (again). I'm assuming the dropouts are vertical... but not sure. If they are vertical, then a standard hub simply slips into them (hub rotation is inconsequential), whereas an ENO eccentric hub will depend on the interface ("connection") tension / friction between the ends of the hub and the inside dropout faces to keep from turning / slipping and thereby inadvertently altering chain tension.

I admit to never having used an ENO eccentric hub.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    Well, I'm probably missing something (again). I'm assuming the dropouts are vertical... but not sure. If they are vertical, then a standard hub simply slips into them (hub rotation is inconsequential), whereas an ENO eccentric hub will depend on the interface ("connection") tension / friction between the ends of the hub and the inside dropout faces to keep from turning / slipping and thereby inadvertently altering chain tension.

I admit to never having used an ENO eccentric hub.

--sParty
    Yes your are correct, after thinking about it the vert dropout will act as a leverage or moment arm trying to creat torque between the 2 pivots.

Mojo

30-ton War Machine
    Tried the ENO rear hub, it was a pain to get set correctly, and get it to stay put once there. This was on my air9 and it never did work the way I wanted it to, or inspired any confidence when out of the saddle and exerting max load on the system.

Tree Thumper
    I am also SSing a Motobecane fly team 29 ti. I was looking at lacing up a rear wheel with a eno, but I have heard mixed reviews. The magic gear is 32/19

32 x 29 / 19 = 48.8

The gearing doesn't seem to be to tall, but I want to be able to adjust my gearing, and I have no idea what 32/19 feels like in the saddle

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by jpbova
    I am also SSing a Motobecane fly team 29 ti. I was looking at lacing up a rear wheel with a eno, but I have heard mixed reviews. The magic gear is 32/19

32 x 29 / 19 = 48.8

The gearing doesn't seem to be to tall, but I want to be able to adjust my gearing, and I have no idea what 32/19 feels like in the saddle
    In my neck of the woods 32x19 is a great gear for 26" wheels. I live about 35 miles west of Oakridge, Oregon. (Feels funny to use tiny Oakridge as a landmark, rather than say 10 miles south of Eugene. But Oakridge, one of IMBA's Ride Centers plus home to the 100 mile Cascade Cream Puff and Fat55 races, is well known by mountain bikers who get around.) Anyway, many riders could certainly push a 32x19 on their 29er as well -- I know I could. That is until I was doing one of our typical epics. Any time I'd be riding over ~20 miles in the local hilly terrain and I'd be wishing I was running something lower.

Personally I'm running 30x20 on my 29er. That's only a 43.5" gear, but I can't begin to describe how well it serves me when I'm on an all day ride.

And it works just as well on shorter rides, too.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Tree Thumper
    I got the info from snellvilleGAbiker. He says 32/19 is perfect for where he lives (Snellville, GA... obviously). I live in Central NC, so it is hilly here but no real climbs. I think if I don't go magic gear, I am leaning more toward a FC EBB over the ENO

My dilemma is that I want to use a middleburn crank and a phil wood BB. Which I would be okay with the Eno or magic gear but obviously that won't work with an FC EBB.
    Last edited by jpbova; 09-19-2010 at 02:32 PM.