Retro Grouch

New question here. Most honored bike?

If you've been riding long enough and aquired enough bikes, usually you have one hanging on a wall in your home. I call this your most honored bike. Mine is my go anywhere, do anything road fixie; it hangs in my living room. How about you? Do have a most honored bike?

1G1G, Brad

One gear to rule them all
    Quote Originally Posted by aka brad
    If you've been riding long enough and aquired enough bikes, usually you have one hanging on a wall in your home. I call this your most honored bike. Mine is my go anywhere, do anything road fixie; it hangs in my living room. How about you? Do have a most honored bike?

1G1G, Brad
    For me... that would be like choosing a favorite child. I just can't do it. I honor them all. I do have one that I like the least, though. My Surly Crosscheck, it's a tank.
    Todd............. If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague

sprocket
    My personal Jesus is a Yeti pro-fro that has been through most of all my favorite rides in the last 13 years. It's a single-speed right now.. It is in my bike garage, on the first hook, closest to the door, dripping muddy desert water from a late, late ride last nite.

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    My Yo Eddy turned 10 last year but I don't ride it much any more because of the Chester. It's the bike that I started racing with and it's been all over the place. It's also the bike that got me into singlespeeding (with a Singleator).

Right now it just sits and waits around until I feel like doing a fixie offroad ride. (It's equipped with an ENO eccentric hub.) I'll never sell it.
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | bikecentric | ssoft

FUD

Jan 2004

what what what?

Quote Originally Posted by 32seventeen
    .... I do have one that I like the least, though. My Surly Crosscheck, it's a tank.
    thats gotta be a first. I've never heard someone with a CC say its their least favored ride. you're entitled to your opinion though. as far as heavy, I'd look at the parts you've got hanging on it if its truly obese. the frames no ultra lightweight but properly spec'ed (and especially ss'ed) its more than usably light. I've done several centuries on one. besides, its a full pound less than a monkey!

One gear to rule them all
    Quote Originally Posted by FUD
    thats gotta be a first. I've never heard someone with a CC say its their least favored ride. you're entitled to your opinion though. as far as heavy, I'd look at the parts you've got hanging on it if its truly obese. the frames no ultra lightweight but properly spec'ed (and especially ss'ed) its more than usably light. I've done several centuries on one. besides, its a full pound less than a monkey!
    Don't get me wrong...I did not say it was crap. I just feel slugish when I ride it. It does have some fairly nice parts on it too.
    I did put gears on it, because it does get riden both on and off road. I was tired if switching the gearing.
    I have some fenders on order for it, maybe I will like it better when it keeps me dry.
    Todd............. If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague

all hail der Fuhrer Bush
    Mar 2004

bikes are tools

That'd be like picking one tool from your toolboard, maybe a 3/8" ratchet, or a beloved crescent wrench, and hanging it above the fireplace and staring at it with the TV on.
    Whichever of my 17 bikes I'm riding at the moment is the one I enjoy the most.
    That said, I have "honored" two of my bikes with safekeeping in a spare bedroom over the winter, because the garage is just too durned full. My backcountry MTB that I won't be riding again until next June or later, depending on snow conditions; and a fixed gear scorcher with Campionato del Mundo sewups, because the tires are rare and exotic and don't take kindly to sharp cinders on winter roads. Got another scorcher with big fat 40mm clinchers for winter scorching.
    Don't pay the $85 fee to ride land you own! Resist!

Steamroller

Most honored = least ridden

My most honored bike is in my office where it is warm dry and even gets dusted by the janitor, However it is also my least ridden bike. It is an immaculate Nishiki Altron road (Tange prestige tubing) bike which I upgraded with an 8 speed campy group. This sweet steel bike rides better than either the carbon or aluminum road bikes I've had since. It sit across from me screaming "fix me" or "chicken, OK, SS me" but I have not brought myself to do it yet. If I ever decide to, I can likely sell the excess Campy parts for more than enough to properly complete the Fixie or SS build. I should do it just to occupy myself while I wait for the trails to dry.
    [SIZE=2]Two Wheeled and Too Big[/SIZE]

Steamroller

Honored tools

Quote Originally Posted by bulC
    That'd be like picking one tool from your toolboard, maybe a 3/8" ratchet, or a beloved crescent wrench, and hanging it above the fireplace ............That said, I have "honored" two of my bikes with safekeeping in a spare bedroom over the winter,
    Good point, but most of us have honored tools too. You know the one who gets the prime spot on the pegboard, or the private carpeted drawer in the tool chest
    [SIZE=2]Two Wheeled and Too Big[/SIZE]

pepito
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattman
    Nishiki Altron
    sweet. my most honored is a nishiki as well. mtb, though. i can't imagine ever parting with her, and i've dreamed up countless outfits she could wear in the future to suit whatever need i may have. as it stands now, she's stripped down to rigid ss. truly a thing of beauty. i find myself drawn to the basement at least once a day to just sit and stare at her. or maybe caress her cold steel tubes. maybe i'm sick, or wrong. maybe i don't ever want to be right. i love this bike like a best friend who's been there for some of the best and worst times that the last 10 years has had to offer.

the_dude

ps - i'm a dork
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling" ~James E. Starrs

mtbr member
    Still have my BMX bike from back in the day. It's a tricked out Profile Champ Pro which always has a prominate place near the workbench. I was pretty much obsessed with BMX when I was a kid and raced for about 5 seasons until 1987. Absolutly loved every minute of it. I have never changed anything on the bike since '87 (except for tires -- which were replaced with the exact same tires). Numberplate, pads, stickers... everything is untouched. I clean it about once a year and have considered restoring it, but prefer to leave it with some scratches, scrapes, and patina from years of use. VintageBMX.com is one of my favorite web sites.

Cold. Blue. Steel.

good question...

i would have to go with my '97 Jamis Eclipse road bike. it was hand built in California at the beginning of 1997 for the Jamis team riders. they were the first batch and came with crappy paint jobs (rushed so we would have them to start the racing season) and i would love to get mine painted in the future. right now it sits on my trainer without complaint- i am the one who complains about riding the trainer, lol!
    it is Reynolds 853 and rides really smooth- all day smooth. but it is my prized bike because it symbolizes the pinnacle of my road racing career and being on such a cool team.
    my other 5 bikes are loved, but i could be persuaded to sell those
    my Jamis SS MTB(converted from day one) and my road fixie are my most ridden bikes.
    Last edited by OneGearGuy; 01-06-2005 at 12:09 PM.
    Spinning and Grinning...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

It would have to be............

Quote Originally Posted by aka brad

1G1G, Brad
    My Bridgestone MB-2 WAAAY back when. It was beautiful bike and I would give My left nugget to have it back. Lugged steel is just too cool.