Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    120

    Most common chainline - 47.5mm or 52mm?

    I am trying to decide between White Industries hubs and Paul Components hubs for a new wheelset build. The WI ENO chainline is 47.5mm, while the Paul WORD chainline is 52mm.

    From measuring my bikes, it seems the WI lines up with the middle ring of a mountain triple, while the Paul lines up with the outer ring. Intuitively, it seems to me that most cranks I see have their single ring attached right to the spider, so it appears to me that the outer ring would be more common. Does that imply that the WI hubs are intended to be used only with bashguards, or am I missing something?

    Can I safely assume that the Paul 52mm chainline fits most popular SS cranksets? Sorry if this is trivial, but I am new to all of this, and googling never explained why WI chose 47.5.

  2. #2
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,236

    Most common chainline - 47.5mm or 52mm?

    Quote Originally Posted by TooSteep View Post
    I am trying to decide between White Industries hubs and Paul Components hubs for a new wheelset build. The WI ENO chainline is 47.5mm, while the Paul WORD chainline is 52mm.

    From measuring my bikes, it seems the WI lines up with the middle ring of a mountain triple, while the Paul lines up with the outer ring. Intuitively, it seems to me that most cranks I see have their single ring attached right to the spider, so it appears to me that the outer ring would be more common. Does that imply that the WI hubs are intended to be used only with bashguards, or am I missing something?

    Can I safely assume that the Paul 52mm chainline fits most popular SS cranksets? Sorry if this is trivial, but I am new to all of this, and googling never explained why WI chose 47.5.
    Basically you have it right.
    You can mount the ring in either position on most any "singlespeed" crank.

    The WI makes it easier to use a guard ring. You do not need to use one on the outside if you do not want to, just as you do not need a ring on the inside when using a single ring in the outer position.

    The Paul hub can let you use larger rings.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    120
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    ...
    You can mount the ring in either position on most any "singlespeed" crank.

    ...
    Does that mean that if you mount the ring inside the spider, you are usually at 47.5, and if you mount it outside the spider, you are usually at 52?

    And can I assume that the Paul allows you to use bigger cranks because they end up further away and don't run into the stays?

    FWIW - I just measured my current bike, and the chainline is about 57mm! (It does line up perfectly front and back) There is a visible gap between the BB and the cranks - I wonder if the guy that built it used a BB that was too wide, and then compensated with spacers in the back?

  4. #4
    Hhhnnnngggg!!!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    132
    I get a 54mm chainline when using an Eno Trials freewheel with either a Phil Wood K.I.S.S hub or Paul WORD hub. It lines up perfectly with the outer ring position of my cranks.

    73x122.5 Shimano cartridge bottom bracket with Shimano MT60 Deore cranks (stock setup).

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: asphaltdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    559
    Quote Originally Posted by TooSteep
    Does that mean that if you mount the ring inside the spider, you are usually at 47.5, and if you mount it outside the spider, you are usually at 52?
    Yes.

    And can I assume that the Paul allows you to use bigger cranks because they end up further away and don't run into the stays?
    If you mean chainring, yes ;-)
    Ride more!

Similar Threads

  1. What do I have in common with the Titanic?
    By kjlued in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-05-2012, 07:33 PM
  2. Is this common practice?
    By ValhallaGSXR in forum Trek
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-19-2011, 01:43 PM
  3. Most Common Injury?
    By Cormac in forum Rider Down, injuries and recovery
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-24-2011, 09:48 AM
  4. XS Endos.... How common?
    By Eastcoaster in forum Knolly
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-09-2011, 07:01 PM
  5. fox 120 mm fork w/ 52mm offset crown on anthem
    By hakalugis in forum Bike and Frame discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-31-2011, 04:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •