mtbr member
    Jan 2004

more on drop bar grips/padding/wrap . . . . .

so, i ride a rigid SS with drop bars. nitto's.

way back, i too was advised by the ibis guru's on the " cut- some- grap-on- in -half- and- put- it -on- the- topside- and- wrap -it- with- tape " off road drop bar technique. further, i was admonished by wes w to ' make it look good!" also. i did that for many a year, but never really liked it. but, since then i never liked anything else better, either.

but this year i am gonna ride the thing in some longer races, and really need to get some comfort going on again with those drops. so then, today i am at the grocery store nabbing a bunch of food for a long ride i am gonna do tommorow whilst the poor slob scoutdog is working his ass off when i chance by the foot care section.

what ho! i see a set of blue gooshy gel insoles. $4.99. cut to fit. " feel me" , the package sez (!!). so, i do. feels like a fat lady's behind. hmmmmmmmmmm. i bought them. planning on cutting them to fit the bar top, taping in place, and wrapping them all up tonite. tomorrow, i shall check them out on a long ass ride.

could it be they will feel like heaven? or, will they be just another really stupid idea in a very very long list of same from the likes of me? stay tuned.
    Last edited by mon t; 04-26-2004 at 09:22 AM.

I like to ride bikes!
    Could you ride buy my work, while I jump off the roof to end my suffering!
    What long rides are you refering too? 12 hour races? Solo?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    sure s-dog. i can swing by for a little break to watch you end it all.

" jump! jump !! "

thinking of a few wisconsin 12 hours, and perhaps the 24/9 solo.

I like to ride bikes!
    Thanks for the encouragement! You be the super enduro man! Susie and I will be riding all the 12 hour races as a Duo. We are committed to a 5 person team for 24/9 andI would love to do sompin solo too. The 24hrs of Afton is a great race on a challenging course, single speed duo you and me and alot of suffering?

Bill

Appalachian Singletrack'n

If I ever retape my dirtdrops.....

I'm goint to try this,

http://www.specialized.com/SBCEqProd...mgc82ug.j27004

My lbs got some and havent sold a one, I bet they will be in the discout bucket by the end of summer.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

a little update . . . .

yah. i looked at that stuff.

anyway, i wrapped the bars with the insoles. dang it all, they seem nice !! a little more about the $4.99 insoles . . . . . . . like i said they are a blue floppy gel substance. they are actually more air than gel, as they are a web-like matix of the gel with open spots inbetween. the matrix of egg-crate-like gel is held in place by a glued on backing. it is the air spaces which make it squshy, as much as the gel. in this they appear better than the bar-phat. also, you can cut the insloes - they are not liquid and will not break open. i cut a portion to fit the top of the bar, and actually double layered one spot. i wrapped over them with some stretchy synthetic bar tape.

they feel really soft up top.

i'll bet i win a nobel prise for these. can't wait til tommorow.4- 6 hrs at the stump farm, s-dog. call in sick !

I like to ride bikes!
    What time ya goin? I could get there at 4:15.... I know I know ... I suck... workin sucks... bla bla bla...

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mon t
    so, i ride a rigid SS with drop bars. nitto's.

way back, i too was advised by the ibis guru's on the " cut- some- grap-on- in -half- and- put- it -on- the- topside- and- wrap -it- with- tape " off road drop bar technique. further, i was admonished by wes w to ' make it look good!" also. i did that for many a year, but never really liked it. but, since then i never liked anything else better, either.

but this year i am gonna ride the thing in some longer races, and really need to get some comfort going on again with those drops. so then, today i am at the grocery store nabbing a bunch of food for a long ride i am gonna do tommorow whilst the poor slob scoutdog is working his ass off when i chance by the foot care section.

what ho! i see a set of blue gooshy gel insoles. $4.99. cut to fit. " feel me" , the package sez (!!). so, i do. feels like a fat lady's behind. hmmmmmmmmmm. i bought them. planning on cutting them to fit the bar top, taping in place, and wrapping them all up tonite. tomorrow, i shall check them out on a long ass ride.

could it be they will feel like heaven? or, will they be just another really stupid idea in a very very long list of same from the likes of me? stay tuned.
    Good tip. Sounds similar to Specialized's Bar Phat tape and inserts. I think most of Specialized euro pros used this tape for Paris-Roubaix.

I can hear Wes instructing you to "make it look good." No holidays, even overlap...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    by a fortuitous stoke of blind-ass luck, i am gonna be riding during the day.

by 4:30 i will be cheering the young daughter brushing up her fitness in the mile event at her middle school track meet. in a related topic, we are now taking bets as to when the child will finish in front of her mother in the wors series - - - alpine ? iola? get your bets in now.