mtbr member
    Apr 2004

monocog + rear tire ???

What tires are you monocoggers running in the rear? Any recommendations on size, I'm running a Kenda Blue Stick-E 2.5 in the front since I'm running rigid and didn't want to go totally mismatched, but I know the spacing on the rear can be troublesome.

I have a Continental Vertical Pro (I've had good luck running these front and back here in Tucson AZ), which is a 2.3, laying around and threw it on the rear wheel (Alex DH19 rims with Redline hubs) last night only to find it may not fit. I haven't gotten a chainring yet, so I can't tell how far forward the real wheel will be once I get the chain tensioned properly.

Shea

blame me for missed rides
    hutchinson alligator 2.0

The name's Norm...

Not too large...

Quote Originally Posted by isburns
    I have a Continental Vertical Pro (I've had good luck running these front and back here in Tucson AZ), which is a 2.3, laying around and threw it on the rear wheel (Alex DH19 rims with Redline hubs) last night only to find it may not fit. I haven't gotten a chainring yet, so I can't tell how far forward the real wheel will be once I get the chain tensioned properly.

Shea
    in the back. Remember, the rear is a 110mm bmx spacing. I'm running a Specialized Control on the front and a MythosXC on the rear. Both are 2.0 tires. If you're running full rigid, I wouldn't go much larger than a 2.1. Maybe a 2.25 depending on the make. I have a susp. fork so I could go larger but no reason. I have a fork!!
    Good luck!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by maSSpayne
    in the back. Remember, the rear is a 110mm bmx spacing. I'm running a Specialized Control on the front and a MythosXC on the rear. Both are 2.0 tires. If you're running full rigid, I wouldn't go much larger than a 2.1. Maybe a 2.25 depending on the make. I have a susp. fork so I could go larger but no reason. I have a fork!!
    Good luck!!
    Why would you not go larger than 2.1 on the front when going fully rigid? My impression was I'd want a bigger tire with more volume at lower pressure on a rigid fork, but this is my first SS and my first time riding rigid, so I may be in the dark here. I've been running 2.3 front and back on my gearie ht for so long I'm not sure what to think about going to a smaller tire in the back.

Am I getting too bulky?

Cool-blue Rhythm

Was running Python 2.0's front and back for a long time on the MonoCog. Yes, even when rigid, no big deal. The Python will fit between the stays as far forward as you can slide the wheel. No big knobs sticking out. Currently, I'm running a Tioga DH 2.1 on the rear, but the wheel is about an inch back in the drops. I could move it forward a little bit , but it would never spin if the wheel was all the way forward.
    I gotta roll, can't stand still, got a flame in my heart, can't get my fill.

The name's Norm...
    Quote Originally Posted by isburns
    Why would you not go larger than 2.1 on the front when going fully rigid? My impression was I'd want a bigger tire with more volume at lower pressure on a rigid fork, but this is my first SS and my first time riding rigid, so I may be in the dark here. I've been running 2.3 front and back on my gearie ht for so long I'm not sure what to think about going to a smaller tire in the back.
    Usually if you are running rigid, you will want a larger, higher volume DH type of tire so you can run lower pressures. As the tire will act like a susp. fork. I think the rigid guys said they get about a 1/4 inch of (squish) travel from the tire. Like I said, I run a fork so I don't need that big of a tire. I just like big knobs in front of me.
    As for my first reply, I'm not sure how large a front tire you can fit on the Monocog's rigid fork. Can you fit a tire larger than a 2.25 on the front? I know the rear will be tight as you have said.
    Last edited by maSSpayne; 04-21-2004 at 03:58 PM. Reason: clarification

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    As for my first reply, I'm not sure how large a front tire you can fit on the Monocog's rigid fork. Can you fit a tire larger than a 2.25 on the front? I know the rear will be tight as you have said.
    Yes, I don't think there is a problem running bigger tires up front. The Kenda Blue Groove 2.5 fit on there fine.

I'm looking forward to my first SS ride this weekend, I hope I don't embarrass myself in front of some of my gearie friends

Zippy, the wonder bike
    Feb 2004
    I have Bontrager AC Jones 2.1 front and back, and the back is slid almost all the way forward in the dropout, and there seems to be ample clearence. I would think that you could go with a 2.3 on the rear with the right sized chain.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm running Moto-Raptor 2.4"s front & back on my '03 Monocog.
    Theres 4mm clearance on either side of the back tire, with the hub about 3/4 of the way back in the dropout.

The name's Norm...
    Hey SM, do you have any rubbing when cornering hard? And what wheels/hubs do you have?
    maSSpayne

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hey SM, do you have any rubbing when cornering hard? And what wheels/hubs do you have?
    maSSpayne
    Nope, I havn't noticed any rubbing,.. my wheel is tensioned pretty tight & true.
    I don't think its flexing too much.
    I'm running Phil Wood flip-flop Phlight BMX hubs with Rhino Lites & DT Spokes.
    34:18 with a PC-7X chain.
    The moto's are narrow for a 2.4",.. & to fit one I have to set it up so that the hub sits 3/4 of the way back in the dropout. but It works for me..

KRN
    mtbr member

Kenda Karmas

My tires are stock right now but they are 26x1 on both ends not bad for a stock tires but no high speed grip in the turns thats my only beef with them.