mtbr member
    May 2009

Monocog Flight vs Karate Monkey

I am looking to buy my first single speed and have narrowed my choice down to either the monocog flight or the karate monkey. I would like to get some input on the pros and cons of each by people who have ridden them.

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    would you buy the complete bike or just frame and fork? i like the KM for versatility but the Cog for the price . I'm leaning toward the Cog
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I've been looking at complete bikes. I've been leaning towards the monocog too because I have a local redline deale where as I would have to mail order a surly

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    then i would say go with the mono cog. you would be supporting your LBS and they would probably throw ins some free services
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Yea, the monocog seems to be a good choice there. I actually drove 90 mins each way to go buy my monocog and it was so worth it =D

Expert Crasher
    I have had both. Had an 07 Monocog Flight and went to an 08 Karate Monkey. Both great bikes - let me say that up front. I had several goals behind my move to the KM, notably I'd wanted one in a bad way for a long time (can't deny appeal), but more importantly, it's a bit more versatile out of the box and I had room to run bigger meats. The Flight was lighter and a little racier - and it rode very well.

I personally don't think you could go wrong either way - but if you've got a Redline dealer close buy and are looking to go complete - it's hard to be a Flight.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Ditto on the Flight... it is one of the nicest handling bikes I've ever ridden. You won't be disappointed.

S
    "You know how they make aluminum bike frames? They take steel and suck out all the soul..."

pyroclastic flow

Flight

i have never rode a karate monkey but they look cool. i own a monocog flight and must say it rocks! i agree with the support of LBS and the fact they are redline dealer. the new color is awesome too. chocolate with some orange or yellow parts would be great stuff. i have a blue one with green chris king headset, salsa seat clamp, crank brother acids, and ergon grips. a lot of fun

tOmmygunn

what are you running up front on the monocogue?

i changed my stock steel fork out for the a 07 reba sl at 80mils but the handling/steering seems to have suffered w/ the intro of suspension, i think it's due somewhat to fork dive,and i've messed around w/ the pressure settings but still not as confident in the bikes handling as i was when it was the stock fork. but the redline fork seems to be quite harsh.

i've thought about some different fixes such as a carbon fork, going back to the rigid steel fork w/ bigger tires, running tubeless at lower pressure and all.

does anyone know of a suspension fork that really complements the monocogue flights geo?

thx,

tOm

mtbr member
    The old Rebas used a 38mm offset and the stock rigid fork is 470mm AC and 47mm of offset.

So to get suspension and similar feel/trail on your RL Flight - try and find a 2009 or newer Reba fork, or possibly a 2008 or newer Manitou Minute or Fox Fork. Those would all have greater offsets than the 2008 and older Rebas.

Hope that helps.

mtbr member
    I too am interested in the Monocog Flight. I do have to admit, the price is very appealing.

But now what size is correct. Using conventional 26" geometry, I should be looking at a 17". But I have a hard time with the standover height behing higher than my inseam.

I'm 5'6.5-ish with an average build. I ride a 17" Cannondale Rush. And I enjoy the roominess of the 17". But wonder if the 15" on the Flight 29 would be a better fit for me. I have money down to place the order tomorrow...the default size being 15".

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

+1 redline.

Quote Originally Posted by john_boy
    I am looking to buy my first single speed and have narrowed my choice down to either the monocog flight or the karate monkey. I would like to get some input on the pros and cons of each by people who have ridden them.

to the OP: john boy, well, what did you end up doing? I'm on the edge on my seat...

I hope you went flight, the KM was one of the first mass produced 29ers and doesnt seemed to have changed much, and i for one dont like the super short wheel base with the bent seat tube. thing manuals too easy imo. ive owned 2 monocogs and both were great!
    2 of my friends currently ride monocogs and love em. both bought redlines as a secondary cheap mtb and now they ride the monocogs more than their more expensive bikes!
    no chain no gain.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I have pretty much decided to go with the flight, but due to my own personal economic downturn (Laid off), it will have to wait until i can find a new job. Thanks for al the help and advice.

offroader
    Dec 2008
    Happy Cog owner here.

+1 Monocog