I <3 29ers

Misfit Psycles Boner tensioner - anyone using it?

Search provided nothing related.

Anyone?
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies.

Misfit Psycles
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTO View Post
    Search provided nothing related.

Anyone?
    Sold 50 or so...I've done a terrible job marketing the device...facts are:

the tensioner market is saturated with cheapies...
    perception: why pay 50 when you can pay 15-25?

the boner is not cheap...
    fact: it's made in Canada so...it's priced like it.

it is not a spring and it's not a fixed...
    assumption: people are unsure how to classify the design and the materials...caution pushes them elsewhere.

YES. I need to invest time and materials to educate the benefits...some day.

Misfit Psycles BONER Singlespeed Tensioner - PSYCLESTORE

Andrew - buy it. If you aren't happy, I'll take it back.
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

destructionismyobjective
    Im intrigued.. so if its not fixed than does the arm allow a little flex?

And yeah there are a whole bunch of cheap junk tensionsers out there... and they're just that cheap junk. Ive got one of the spring ones on my bike now. Its working but I had to modify it because the machining was soo bad It would cock all sideways.. its the nashbar btw.

So im curious how its not fixed cause im interested in a quality piece for the bike I currently ride and have another bike ill be building here shortly that will also require a tensioner..

I <3 29ers
    Quote Originally Posted by nogearshere View Post
    Sold 50 or so...I've done a terrible job marketing the device...facts are:

the tensioner market is saturated with cheapies...
    perception: why pay 50 when you can pay 15-25?

the boner is not cheap...
    fact: it's made in Canada so...it's priced like it.

it is not a spring and it's not a fixed...
    assumption: people are unsure how to classify the design and the materials...caution pushes them elsewhere.

YES. I need to invest time and materials to educate the benefits...some day.

Misfit Psycles BONER Singlespeed Tensioner - PSYCLESTORE

Andrew - buy it. If you aren't happy, I'll take it back.
    Yeah, actually Peter, you have done a terrible job marketing it.
    fact: i'm happy to help remind you and further give you opportunity to do so here.

People are unsure?
    fact - people are stupid. lol

I'm pretty sure i'll be happy with it. I'll take one. Will call you tomorrow to discuss getting my hands on one of these.

Thankyouverymuchkindsir!

... and cookies.

I <3 29ers
    Quote Originally Posted by bitterrider View Post

And yeah there are a whole bunch of cheap junk tensionsers out there... and they're just that cheap junk. Ive got one of the spring ones on my bike now. Its working but I had to modify it because the machining was soo bad It would cock all sideways.. its the nashbar btw.

So im curious how its not fixed cause im interested in a quality piece for the bike I currently ride and have another bike ill be building here shortly that will also require a tensioner..
    Yup, the SuperSmartyPants Team of Design (STD) at Misfit Psycles (MP) made it such so that it maybe might does often allow for flex of the unit incase because of sub-standard manufacturing and making of various other drivetrain bits and pieces.

(sorry, just in a goofy mood )

When I get one from Peter i'll post a blab on it here and post pics and all that jazz.

I've had the cheap ones, too, and i'm not impressed (for obvious reasons ... like they're cheap).

(back to goofing around)

I suspect that Peter sold 50 as he said, 5 to his kids, 15 to his wife, 25 to himself, and the last 5 to real actual people that have suffered such TREMENDOUS IMPROVEMENTS in their riding that they now don't post on MTBR anymore because they've turned Pro.

Pro-what, I don't know, but pro-something.

Perhaps, most likely and super-hopefully, pro-singlespeed.

(haven't even touched the booze tonight ... yet )

... and cookies.

Misfit Psycles
    Quote Originally Posted by bitterrider View Post

the BONER makes use of a leaf-spring type theory.

of course the specific material is not readily disclosed, suffice to say it was chosen for it's memory and durability.

the arm flexes to produce continual, adjustable tension on the chain.
    the BONER has been tested in theory and in practice under the ugliest conditions we could muster...and it worked quite nicely.

IMG_3008
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

mtbr member
    I think the reason not many ppl are running this tensioner may be the price. I see on the webpage a sheet of 36. At $50 each, thats $1800. I just can't believe it costs even half that to produce. Although, it may. It would have to work twice as good as any other tensioner to be worth double the price, imo. If it had been $30 i would have given it a try long ago while i was looking for tensioners for my conversion.

It might be great. Just how great has me sceptical.

Misfit Psycles
    I'm sure I shouldn't...but..

Quote Originally Posted by jetboy23 View Post
    I see on the webpage a sheet of 36. At $50 each, thats $1800. I just can't believe it costs even half that to produce.
    I'm running on the assumption, although I could be wrong, that you don't have manufacturing (specifically CNC) experience.

While my smaller volumes certainly have some impact on costing, it was (in this case) negligible up until about the 5000 unit mark. Simply too rich for me.

Your calculation failed to consider the cost of raw materials, CNC setup, tooling, fasteners (one of which is not available in North America), the custom quick release cap, the custom pulley shaft and the pulley wheel itself.

Not to mention manufacturing in Canada (while cheaper than the US), is insanely expensive when compared to producing the same product in mainland China.

No.
    Profit aren't the problem.
    Materials and (to a minor extent) ethics are.

Quote Originally Posted by jetboy23 View Post
    It would have to work twice as good as any other tensioner to be worth double the price, imo. If it had been $30 i would have given it a try long ago while i was looking for tensioners for my conversion.
    I'm afraid you can't have it both ways.
    I offer two tensioners in that 30$ (or less) price range.
    Both are good. Adequate. And I've sold thousands.

This is better. Twice, thrice? Depends on the criteria.

A product designed and manufactured domestically?
    A product free of springs, fixed arms and (most) maintenance?
    A product not prone to failure due to weather, mud, out-of-round rings or stretched chains?

It's a small market to be sure.
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

mtbr member
    I applaud you for being frank about your manufacturing intentions, fully explaining the benefits/failures of your designed system, and demonstrating how passionate you are about bringing a functional product to market. This level of communication is the antithesis of Homebrewed, good on ya!

No.

A product not prone to failure due to weather, mud, out-of-round rings or stretched chains?

I <3 29ers

Agreed.

Now call me back dammit!

Oh ... please. (always time for manners )

... and cookies.

destructionismyobjective
    I got a question... Will it work with a dt swiss 10mm thru bolt/axle setup?

Looks like I could just throw the cap out and just run tha axle right through it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I got one last year for my old Scott Scale 40 26er. It works great. No complaints, and no great insight. It just does what Peter says it will.
    Last edited by seemana; 12-06-2012 at 05:55 AM.

mtbr member
    nogearshere, i have no production or cnc experience. yet, i did consider the other factors which may be a basis for the pricing. I also said, "it might be great". But, for a consumer like me, the price wasn't warranted for a tensioner. I instead got a dedicated SS frame for ~3x the price. The frame works great and came with an EBB which works well (if bought alone only costs $40). In my limited testing of tensioners, none even come close to the performance of a dedicated frame. I also wanted to remain with a quick release.

For me, it just wasn't the right component. Thank you for your dedication to keep options alive for the SS crowd. And, for being so free with the information about your products. If only all companies cared half as much....

Now, if it will work on a full suspension frame... i would probably buy this first over a Melvin tensioner.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    @seemana... It's been over 2 years since you posted about the "Boner" tensioner. Any updates - does it continue to work well?

mtbr member
    Will this work on a DH bike? (( Banshee Scythe..up to 8" of mush ))

Misfit Psycles
    Quote Originally Posted by Strike the primer View Post
    Will this work on a DH bike? (( Banshee Scythe..up to 8" of mush ))
    Not the intended use...the spring design is intended to absorb chain 'stretch' and inconsistencies in 'round' of rings and cogs.

You need to look at purpose built tensioners for a full suspension frame.

Peter
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Duratai View Post
    @seemana... It's been over 2 years since you posted about the "Boner" tensioner. Any updates - does it continue to work well?

I actually parted that bike out last spring and built up a CX bike instead. I've got a boner just sitting around if anyone wants to make an offer. Shoot me a PM.

It did continue to work as advertised until I took it off though.

Gimme free stuff

I'm running on the assumption, although I could be wrong, that you don't have manufacturing (specifically CNC) experience.

While my smaller volumes certainly have some impact on costing, it was (in this case) negligible up until about the 5000 unit mark. Simply too rich for me.

Your calculation failed to consider the cost of raw materials, CNC setup, tooling, fasteners (one of which is not available in North America), the custom quick release cap, the custom pulley shaft and the pulley wheel itself.

Not to mention manufacturing in Canada (while cheaper than the US), is insanely expensive when compared to producing the same product in mainland China.

No.

^^^This makes me quite proud to have just bought a diSSent a week ago. Hope it lives up to the hype!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    P.S. The true SSer's motto: "Do it anyway."
    Misfit DiSSent 29er
    Dawes Deadeye [FOR SALE]