Thread: middleburn help

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

middleburn help

need help changing the chainring on middleburn uno. i have the park tool but cant seem to break it loose. just want to double check which way it needs to turn.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    anyone changed these rings before?

metrotuned WoS
    No haven't changed since installing - figure these things will last forever, they've been swapped on 3 frames in a row, but any bike shop should have the tool.
    #willofthesun and author of the most viewed MTBR thread: Platform Pedal Shootout

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    i would assume it is lefty loosey. Every crank i had with a removable spider has been that way.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    i have the tool but it was pretty damn tight and i just wanted to make sure it was regular (right hand) thread. for anyone else needing to remove one, it is regular left to loosen

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    i put the park tool in a vise and then just pull on the crank arm to loosen. Make sure you you use lock tight when reinstalling the lock ring.

metrotuned WoS

Middleburn UNO Chainring Replacement

Oops, I eat my words of the UNO chainring lasting "forever". It did last two years. Changing the 3/32 UNO ring now. Went from a 1/8 chain back to 3/32 and the teeth have wear on them preventing the 3/32 chain from fitting! Now I'm debating on replacing the expensive spiderless chainring or getting an entirely new crankset including BB for double the price of a chainring.

middleburn help-mtbtandems-wilson.jpg
    #willofthesun and author of the most viewed MTBR thread: Platform Pedal Shootout

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by illnacord
    Oops, I eat my words of the UNO chainring lasting "forever". It did last two years. Changing the 3/32 UNO ring now. Went from a 1/8 chain back to 3/32 and the teeth have wear on them preventing the 3/32 chain from fitting! Now I'm debating on replacing the expensive spiderless chainring or getting an entirely new crankset including BB for double the price of a chainring.

I always went with the 1/8" ring/chain combo.

I never had one looking like that.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

metrotuned WoS
    Lesson learned children. If you put a 1/8 chain on a 3/32 drivetrain, it's totally fine, just expect wear such as displayed. And to add, you may not be able to fit a 3/32 chain on after the 1/8 chain does its thing.

mtbr member
    you may not be able to fit a 3/32 chain on after the 1/8 chain does its thing.
    FYI, that can happen even if you're using 3/32 chains only. Sometimes worn chainrings just don't play nice with new chains. You could probably get more life by flipping the chainring periodically, but then you're also causing more wear to the taper on your cranks.
    "I like skinny jeans. Sometimes I wear them to the mall to get an Orange Julius." -Chim Chim

metrotuned WoS
    amishscum: thanks. Isn't the Middleburn UNO chainring unique as its "dished" like a deep dish wheel with offset. Because of this, it's not flippable like a standard SS chainring. Sharktoothing is a bummer, but you can file the teeth down - at the expense of your chain which is probably already worn and also wear the rear cog down due to worn chain.

Jul 2006
    yea, middleburns arent flippable. The dish would cause the chainline to be a mile off, and it'd likely hit your chainstay.I'd buy an slx for $120 and call it a day.

mtbr member
    Thx for the info. I was thinking the UNO chainring was the same as the ENO, but I guess not. I went with the Middleburn 5-bolt spider so I wouldn't have to remove the crank arm to swap chainrings and it's worked out great so far. My chain tension isn't as even as it used to be when I was running the ENO crank, but nothing to worry about
    "I like skinny jeans. Sometimes I wear them to the mall to get an Orange Julius." -Chim Chim

mtbr member
    May 2008
    FYI, that can happen even if you're using 3/32 chains only.
    I have gone through 2 Middleburn Uno chainrings this year running a 3/32 chain. Mine are at least as chewed up if not more than the pic in this thread. I am still running one of them and will continue to do so until I run into problems... then I will give the HBC chainring that I have sitting around a try.

Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bbike
    I have gone through 2 Middleburn Uno chainrings this year running a 3/32 chain. Mine are at least as chewed up if not more than the pic in this thread. I am still running one of them and will continue to do so until I run into problems... then I will give the HBC chainring that I have sitting around a try.
    as much as i'd like to say it'd last longer, they're the same alloys, so it'll be about the same. The only difference *may* be that they could be using extruded bar stock instead of rolled, which would make the material a little more pourous and wear a little faster.

Xtreme Lounger
    Quote Originally Posted by bbike
    Are you runing the hardcoat or regular finish on those UNO rings?

I currently run a 5-arm with Spot "hard coated" 32t rings and they seem to last about 2-3 years of hard riding. I was thinking of switching to an UNO hardcoat ring but now I'm having doubts.

metrotuned WoS
    steiny: the Middleburn "Hardcoat" is ceramic coating, similar to what MTBR member, crazy8, at Shawnee Trails does to all those XTR M960 cranksets, cassettes and cogs. Middleburn also uses 7075 T6. I don't think there is a cause for concern.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Are you runing the hardcoat or regular finish on those UNO rings?
    Yes, I am running the hardcoat rings. I ride 5-7 times a week and endurance race so my equipment gets lots of miles put on it in a year. I'm not sure if it is normal for rings to wear like they have or if it is just these rings. Even though they "shark fin" on me quickly, I continue to run them and have never had a tooth break or a ring fail.

I would give the Uno a try and worse case is... you wear it out fast. You can then purchase a spyder and run any ring that you want.

the original big ring
    had same problem with mine. in the photo above you can see where the teeth get flattened/pushed out. i took a dremel and smoothed off the side bits. it gave me more life to the chain ring and quieted it down a bit too.

metrotuned WoS

Listen! Middleburn UNO RS7 Chainring Lockring Install Removal

Noob wrencher here. I just changed out the UNO chainring. A bummer because I like the titanium-esque patina of the UNO chainring ceramic coat after a year of use - more bronze than grey. Got the original crankset and UNO spiderless chainring replacement UNO 3/32 32T from MTBtandems, a US distributor and friend to MTBR community.

Since the chainring/lockring comes attached to the RS7 crankset from the factory, found it hard to break loose. On top of that, I was unable to get the FSA threaded bolt loose. Gave up on that but removed the pedal before continuing. I flipped the Shimano TL-UN96 tool upside down in the clamp vise. Put a rag over the chainring and used the crank arm as leverage. It wouldn't budge. A breaker bar is a good idea but I had no idea how to attach interface it to the crankarm. The direction is not disclosed in Middleburn's help files but it's counter-clockwise standard direction to loosen (looking at the lock ring).

You need to push down on the crank area above the shimano tool otherwise you could strip the lock ring or cut yourself on the teeth of the chainring from slipping. I took a couple bits out of anodization of the lock ring. Applied penetrating lube to lock ring area and let it sit for a few minutes. Gave it another go, it finally came loose. There was a lot of loctite dried up flaking off when I removed the lock ring.

Reversed the process with new loctite after cleaning off the threads. Used a soft rubber mallet to get the UNO chainring on and off the spider - tight fit. Dialed in the chainline and happy with the results. Next time will give the MTBR isuckatracing Homebrew chainring a go - see you in a couple seasons ;-)

Below: Middleburn RS7 crankset arm, Point1 Podium platform pedal, new and old UNO 32T chainrings, lockring, 710SL-Ti 1/8 chain with half-link, not pictured PC-1 3/32 nickel.

nothing to see here
    710SL-Ti 1/8 chain with half-link, not pictured PC-1 3/32 nickel.
    Nice write up.

Did you have to swap the roller on the half link for one from the chain? I did the same and found that the original roller on the half link (still 1/8" half link wtf?) wasn't as wide. A little stuffing around with the pins, but works nicely now.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.