mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Middleburn advice please

I'm pretty sure I'm going to get some square taper Middleburn cranks soon. I have 2 main questions:

1) What length BB to run? I've been using 118mm because I have a Speedhub on another bike, but I think I could go narrower...

2) I'm comfortable running about 45 gear inches. I currently have a 38x24 setup. So should I get a spidered crank to take the larger rings? Or should I go 32x21 with the UNO ring? Will I notice a difference in faster chain wear/stretch?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Not sure why you'd go square taper, I've been stoked with my SKF FR600 ISIS bb and the ISIS RS8 crankset from Middleburn. Neither item has even thought about skipping a beat

At the outset UNO is cheaper than spider plus rings so I'd opt for that first Stretch and wear is normally more of an issue once you start getting below 15t at the rear. 21t out the back you should have no probs with at all.

bap
    mtbr member
    The middleburns look great, good choice!

Going to the smaller chainring would also increase your bash clearance - if that is even a problem on the trials you ride?

But on the other hand an advantage of paying just a bit more to get the spider is you have a broader choice of rings and aren't locked into the UNO rings for replacements.

I'm gonna have to kill ya
    They are standard arms though I believe so you can buy a spider of your choice and run whatever rings you fancy at a later date.

I am also looking at an uno setup for my first single speed was thing about a 32 /20 as it is pretty hilly around these parts

mtbr member
    I'm completely happy with my rs8 w/ SKF ST setup and as said stay with Uno as you have the option down the road.FWIW I rather keep my bearings hidden inside the BB two failures with ISIS are enough to not go back....

mtbr member
    My big question is are these going on an existing bike or a new one???

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    My big question is are these going on an existing bike or a new one???
    Well I need to clean house (ie sell stuff). But then they would probably go on something new. I'm most likely going to end up on a Ridgeline.