mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Melvin? Or Yess tensioner? Or other super fantastic product I've never heard of?

So, I am going to convert my older GT frame to SS. I don't have any experience with SS tensioners at all, but have looked at some cheaper ones and they look pretty fragile/crappy. I like the looks of the yess one that mounts at the bottom bracket. Has anybody used this one? Or the one (yess) that mounts at the rear der mount? Both look well made(online pics).
    How bout the Melvin? Ive always heard good things about Pauls stuff. Also looks well made. Does it allow any chain slap? It uses more chain so I've wondered...
    And lastly, ever used any of these on a full susp (3") bike? I realize that sort of defeats the "simpler" aspect of the SS but I also have a pretty nice fs frame that's just hangin from the rafters in my garage.
    Any other suggestions? Thanks a bunch...

Man up
    Sep 2010
    Use pretty much anything as long as it pushes up. The lock-down type tend to work better than the sprung type...however YMMV. I use a STS tensioner, works great.

On a FS bike you need a spring type that can take up a good amount of slack, I think they tend to be BB mounted.
    '08 GF Montare
    '10 Rockhopper SS
    Semper Fidelis
    02-10 SSGT of Marines
    (Most) always down for a ride in the Gville area

mtbr member
    I have a Rennen Rollenlager coming for my next project. I can't comment on how it works yet but it looks pretty tough.

mtbr member
    White Ind. eno eccentric rear hub
    Ride & Smile

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    surly singleator works extremely well. ive had it for two 1/2 years and it has worked great. a while back ago I lost the clip that holds it together and surly sent me a whole new assembly free of charge. only thing that has worn out on it was the jockey wheel and the spring(my fault cause of over tightening ) I saw gusset came out with a new chain tensioner that is similar to the singleator that is worth a look, its called a gusset squire
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    The Surly works "OK" if your on smooth buffed out trails, but if you ride a variety with bumps and technical, the YESS ETR-D is the way to go. I used one for 2 years until I switched frames w/ sliders.

mtbr member
    Yess ETR/D on a Giant Anthem. It was a blast to ride but I put gears back on it so towing the bob trailer was a bit easier.

mtbr member
    It wasn't on a FS so results could differ and I'm sure most everyone here will say it's a cheap piece of crap but it worked great for me, it never skipped once regardless of terrain and I never heard a peep out of it during the year or so I used it....also, I had it pushing down. So if you want something on a budget this is the ticket and maybe you'll get lucky enough to have it work as well as I did.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    If it's a hardtail and you want a cheap bolt on tensioner, buy one of the rigid ones like the DMR STS or the Rennen Rollenlager. Unless you're using a full suspension frame, there is NO reason to use a sprung tensioner. Rigid tensioner are more robust, don't allow chain slap (quieter), and are better at preventing chain drop.

The need for singlespeed
    My experience with the Rollenlager was that it made it a PITA to take the rear wheel off (required loosening hideous 15mm bolt and completely removing the qr skewer) and needed adjustment every time pressure was put on the chain grinding over logs. YMMV, but there you have two reasons for not using a rigid tensioner.

Not saying spring tensioners are better. IMO all tensioners suck as permanent solutions. They're fine for temporary experimenting. If committed to SS drop the $$ and get something eccentric (WI hub, FC EBB).

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by zaskaranddriver
    My experience with the Rollenlager was that it made it a PITA to take the rear wheel off (required loosening hideous 15mm bolt and completely removing the qr skewer) and needed adjustment every time pressure was put on the chain grinding over logs. YMMV, but there you have two reasons for not using a rigid tensioner.
    I've found the trick is to remove the QR skewer completely when removing the wheel.

meatier showers
    Forward Components eccentric BB is the cleanest tensioner of all.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I have the Yess ETR-B and it is great. Mounts at the BB and is super clean looking. Nothing hanging down to get snagged on anything.

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    Blackspire Stinger worked fine for me, but I went w/ a half-link (pintle) chain so I didn't have to tuck it up as much.
    We rejoice in our suffering, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character.

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    Quote Originally Posted by pedal-man
    The Surly works "OK" if your on smooth buffed out trails, but if you ride a variety with bumps and technical, the YESS ETR-D is the way to go. I used one for 2 years until I switched frames w/ sliders.

i will have to disagree, the trails I ride have big roots every 2 feet making for a bumpy ride , it holds up fine
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

mtbr member
    May 2009

Yes on Yess

I have a Spider with the Yess tensioner on it. I have put about 500 miles on it and I have to say it is the most fun I have had on any bike. The simplicity of a single speed with the cush of full suspension. I love it. [IMG][/IMG]