but Diggin the 1 x 14 too

New question here. melvin...??? anyone???

[SIZE=2]
    ...just curious - does the Melvin Tensioner provide some additional benefit when converting a FS bike to SS vs. using an old derailleur or Singleator style tensioner?
    ...giving that the chain length Changes/Grows with MOST FS designs, i understand the need for having a long enough chain installed so the rear triangle can move independent of the frame, SO, would an old derailleur or Singleator style tensioner perform the same exact function as the Melvin Tensioner or is there some added benefit besides the bling factor?
    [/SIZE]
    Last edited by 2gears=1speed; 07-09-2005 at 07:27 AM.

Cubicle Fugitive
    It'll be lighter than a derailleur and will allow for a wider range of chain length than a Singleator.

Other than that, the Melvin is more vulerable to damage than a Singleator, more expensive and in my experience has a tenuous hold on the chain over rough stuff. I had my chain jump off of the lower pulley several times, which caused it to lock the chain and left me wondering how long before I ripped it off mid-ride.

Others seem to love the Melvin, but it was a big dissapointment for me, especially compared to other Paul stuff. If a Singletor accomodates your needs, I think that is the better bet. But I would use a derailleur over the Melvin.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Spam Warning

...just curious - does the Melvin Tensioner provide some additional benefit when converting a FS bike to SS vs. using an old derailleur or Singleator style tensioner?
    ...giving that the chain length Changes/Grows with MOST FS designs, i understand the need for having a long enough chain installed so the rear triangle can move independent of the frame, SO, would an old derailleur or Singleator style tensioner perform the same exact function as the Melvin Tensioner or is there some added benefit besides the bling factor?

I paid my $2, so here's my shameless spam. I am selling my Melvin, just not SS'ng anymore. I never had a problem with the chain coming off, but can;t speak for all.

http://classifieds.mtbr.com/cgi-bin/...uery=retrieval
    MTBDad
    MCM #47.867

"Freedom has a scent like the top of a newborn baby's head" - Bono

...thanks

Quote Originally Posted by czardonic
    It'll be lighter than a derailleur and will allow for a wider range of chain length than a Singleator.

Other than that, the Melvin is more vulerable to damage than a Singleator, more expensive and in my experience has a tenuous hold on the chain over rough stuff. I had my chain jump off of the lower pulley several times, which caused it to lock the chain and left me wondering how long before I ripped it off mid-ride.

Others seem to love the Melvin, but it was a big dissapointment for me, especially compared to other Paul stuff. If a Singletor accomodates your needs, I think that is the better bet. But I would use a derailleur over the Melvin.

[SIZE=2]...thank you for sharing your experience with it... i am trying to discover if most FS bikes would work any better with one... i appreciate the info![/SIZE]

...thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MTBDad

I paid my $2, so here's my shameless spam. I am selling my Melvin, just not SS'ng anymore. I never had a problem with the chain coming off, but can;t speak for all.

http://classifieds.mtbr.com/cgi-bin/...uery=retrieval
    [SIZE=2]
    ...have not decided if i want one YET or not... but thanks for the info.[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    No Melvin problems here........been using it on my FS SS for over a year, ridden 3-4 days a week year round.

As far as being vulnerable to damage I feel that the Singleator and Melvin have about the same exposure, the Singleator has that adjuster shaft that sticks out, and the Melvin has the extra gear exposed, like a derailluer, same same.