Needed Less ~ Did More

Matt Chester Ute.....fixed-gear content

Well I finally got round to takinf some pictures of my bike in its latest (and final) incarnation

MC Ute frame, large
    Kinesis fork, Star Headset
    Thomson Stem and Post
    Jones H-bars, 25" 55deg angle
    DT front hub, rims and 15G spokes, WTB Mutano 2.4"s
    Surly rear hub, track cog and lock-ring.
    Profile racing 36t chainring on Sugino 170mm cranks, RF Taperloc BB
    Egg Beaters, foam grips (no-names) Fizik saddle....blah blah blah

A 17t EAI sprocket will be going on the back now my legs are stronger and the trails dry-er (in places! )

The best handling, most stable, flick-able bike ever.

Just thought I would share...

SSP
    "Put any one on one of these singlespeed bikes and they could not help but have fun"
    -
    Otis Guy talking about klunkers c1976

used to be uno-speedo....
    Yum! Great looking bike and nice component choice.

Fixed off-road....your nuts!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Bea-UTE-iful

Thanks for sharing. Great looking bike!

I need regular infusions of Chester inspiration while I waaait for Mutinyman delivery.

Needed Less ~ Did More

Mmmmm...Mutinyman

Quote Originally Posted by 03bart
    Thanks for sharing. Great looking bike!

I need regular infusions of Chester inspiration while I waaait for Mutinyman delivery.
    Thanks,

A Mute' would be the only thing to "replace" my Ute. I had a go on Mute #1 in Salida when I was over there in 2001. Matt and Scott (Banks) took me out on some great trails....those big treads sure do roll over rocks well

Here I am with the Mute (and I'm 6' although I look about 12 years old next to the monster bike!)

Later

Alex
    "Put any one on one of these singlespeed bikes and they could not help but have fun"
    -

all hail der Fuhrer Bush
    Mar 2004

that would be "you're" as in "you are," not "your"

Quote Originally Posted by uno-speedo

And no, he isn't. He's just a more advanced rider than you are.
    Fixed gear is the purest form of cycling. US Army troops were riding fixed gears on trails a century ago. They weren't nuts, either. Get in touch with cycling's roots. Or are you saying you're a lesser Man than those of a century ago?

used to be uno-speedo....
    Quote Originally Posted by bulC
    Fixed gear is the purest form of cycling. US Army troops were riding fixed gears on trails a century ago. They weren't nuts, either. Get in touch with cycling's roots. Or are you saying you're a lesser Man than those of a century ago?
    Its called light humor its something from the sounds of it you wouldn't understand

Contrarian
    Who made you the king of cycling?

Surely fixed wheel is purer? Or just letting your feet drag on the ground...

hispanic mechanic

Yup...

Quote Originally Posted by uno-speedo

fixed off-road... my nuts!

the los
    "Shut up body and do what I tell you."
    Jens Voight

http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/

Needed Less ~ Did More

Picture of my "nuts" [o]

Don't worry, no pictures of genitals here.

What is up with the forums the last few weeks? I posted on the Roadbikereview "fixed forum" about my FG t-shirts and the first reply is a load of abuse! Singletrackworld.com has been touchy at times (and people get away with a lot more there!)

Now people here are worried about calling me nuts (hell, I am and my Psychologist GF agrees!)

Every one chill....they are only bikes

...and the next mo-fo who corrects the punctuation on a $1 sticker is going down

I will send you a bottle of corection-fluid so you can add your own ' if you want!

Later

SSP
    -

mtbr member

Maybe you're on to something!

Dammit, if they were doing it a century ago it has to be better! Lets get some wooden rims. Would that help me be a more pure cyclist? Hey, while we're at it let's forego modern medicine. Maybe I could die of a tooth ache or some other simple infection, that would be extra cool!! BTW, you're gonna have to give up that computer you're typing on. Don't worry though we'll all get some vintage telegraphs!!

Contrarian
    ...and the next mo-fo who corrects the punctuation on a $1 sticker is going down

Damn Alex! I knew there was something I was going to do... Did I ever tell you I experience physical pain whenever someone abuses an apostrophe?

Great shirts by the way, thanks

Needed Less ~ Did More
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyArmstrong

Damn Alex! I knew there was something I was going to do... Did I ever tell you I experience physical pain whenever someone abuses an apostrophe?

Great shirts by the way, thanks
    Well, I get a pain in the @ss when people ***** about silly stuff like that....and mean it!

Other slaggings have been because: colours too dull, font on the red t-shirt is "messy", don't like the cog logo, don't like the text, don't like anything and feel the need to abuse me. some people need help.....

Reminds me of why I sold up my bike shop....damn customers I'm just happy as I have sorted out a friend with a frame they are going to build up as a singlespeed.

Glad you like the shirts Andy!

SSP
    -

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Fixed=Flickable?

As a fixed gear know-nothing wannabee (plan on building a fixie roadie this summer), How the heck do you flick a fixie? Usually when I do my flicking I am either coasting or picking my nose.

Needed Less ~ Did More
    Quote Originally Posted by sloth
    As a fixed gear know-nothing wannabee (plan on building a fixie roadie this summer), How the heck do you flick a fixie? Usually when I do my flicking I am either coasting or picking my nose.
    Flicking? You mean bunny-hops? they are do-able, just keep spinning!

One thing that is hard to do is fart as this involves un-clenching the buttocks....very tricky when pedaling

Good luck with the road fixie, you will be hooked!

SSP
    -

hispanic mechanic

I need another t-shirt...

Quote Originally Posted by Singlespeedpunk

One thing that is hard to do is fart as this involves un-clenching the buttocks....very tricky when pedaling

SSP
    Like I need a hole in my head, but I had to buy one. If for no other reason than to support what you're doing. Keep up the good work, and, as John Lydon (sp?) said, "never mind the bollocks!"

the los
    "Shut up body and do what I tell you."
    Jens Voight

http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/

there is no spoon
    Quote Originally Posted by Singlespeedpunk

SSP

Pi$$ing is messy too.

Rudy
    [SIZE=4]Don't worship the pain.[/SIZE]

artistic...

makes you wonder..

why does matt stopped production of the ute's? it's like the end of the beatles .. (i'm not 60yrs old right?)
    want: Ibis ti handlebar. suntour 31.8 front derr. bottom pull

mtbr member
    nice, man. haven't seen any MCs on MTBR lately....

mtbr member

Here's my Ute fixie

Definitely not in its final form - I'm debating either moustache, drop or Jones bars with attendant stem change (Salsa Cro-moto.) Probably will start running thinner tires all around and especially up front for fixed use. Otherwise, only real change I would ever consider would be a Mute! Best riding bike I've ever slung legs over.

Breathus Hardus

Moody Ute Pic's

Here are a couple of pictures of my Late model Ute.

I am usually to busy riding to snap pictures, but I needed to take a camera out to Dupont today to gather info for a friend, and snapped a few moody pictures of the Ute while I was at it.

One is near the end of the air strip @ Dupont, another is to document the amazing chameleon qualities of a Matt Chester. That sucker is starting to blend right into the back ground, and of course a shot to show the Utes sensitive side having a moody pause in the wildflowers down by the lake. sighh...
    Moments later I spanked that bad girl mercilessly, chasing trout on the stream crossing, railing corners, launching off logs, and generally getting down to the serious business of having fun.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Witty McWitterson
    Oh god. Here I go again. Now I want one of Matt's peices again. I had finally gotten over it not too long ago, and now I HAD to look at this link. dammit. Thanks alot you fvckers. How long is it gonna take me to save $1500 again? I've got a baby on the way? Crap, there goes that idea. Diapers are more important than bikes at this point, I'm afraid to say. I think lust is just gonna have to do it for now. Maybe I could sell the Hunter....nah. The WTB? oh I don't want to do that...Maybe I should sell a car! Yeah! That's it!
    Just a regular guy.

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    What kind of fork is that?

Breathus Hardus
    Fork is a Rick Hunter, got one originally with the frame but had to sell it unridden due to a serious cash shortfall. Rode it with the Manitou Mars Super robbed from my Jamis for a couple of months but just could not get along with the flex and bob, so when things loosened up a bit I ordered another Hunter and am liking it much better.

Martini, just get a part time job. Or sell stuff and have the money PayPal'ed directly to Matt. It is amazing how quickly you can scrape together the money for a frame when you put your mind to it. And join Cosco or Sam's or some other evil big box price club type of thing and save loads on diapers.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Witty McWitterson
    Quote Originally Posted by A:42
    Martini, just get a part time job. Or sell stuff and have the money PayPal'ed directly to Matt. It is amazing how quickly you can scrape together the money for a frame when you put your mind to it. And join Cosco or Sam's or some other evil big box price club type of thing and save loads on diapers.
    I just CAN'T join a place like Sams. Its just ethically wrong. Even in this case! Now the ebay thing...that may hold something, but I don't have any big ticket items to sell(or that I WANT to sell).
    Just a regular guy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Keep it comin'

As of the most recent edd, the Mute should be here next week... Keep the Chester love comin' to carry me through 'til delivery!